Aldersgate buildings 9 Booth's distillery Clerkenwell

Although Booth's distillery in Turnmill street was demolished towards the end of the last century.  In an enlightened act of conservation, the facade was saved and subsequently re erected in Britton street around the corner where it stands today.  It's a little sanitised looking but some important features have been saved, most important of which are the friezes depicting parts of the gin production process (I assume).  I took a stroll down to see it this week and, as I have in similar situations, got the sense of bumping into an old friend after so many hours trying to recreate the original in 1:76.

post-6781-0-43175200-1467963045.jpg

Andrew

Just to put myself under even more pressure, here's a post of Booths Distillery in Clerkenwell which is on the to so list for Aldersgate.

The research for this is from the British History online 

http://www.british-history.ac.uk/survey-london/vol46/pp385-406

Really pleased to see the Survey of London material from BHO being used in this way. The full series can be found here:

http://www.british-history.ac.uk/search/series/survey-london

British History Online is one of the many excellent digital projects developed by the University of London's Institute of Historical Research (I must declare an interest, the Institute is my employer!). Most published volumes of the Survey of London are available and a fair percentage of the illustrations and drawings, together with a huge range of original sources and large quantities of secondary historical research, much of it available for free. 

Other useful resources for those of us interested in modelling historic buildings include the Royal Commission on the Historical Monuments of England inventory volumes, available here:

http://www.british-history.ac.uk/search/series/rchme

Some excellent structure modelling is the result - I'll have to show the publications team who put this stuff together. Thanks for sharing.

Adam

This is how I am resolving the various angles of the roof by trial and error.  Not as hard as I thought for a first cut.

post-6781-0-65199700-1468170190.jpg

This is the closest I get to modelling interiors.   

post-6781-0-06775400-1468170200.jpg

The building will not be lit inside so the idea is to convey the existence of life inside only.  The rooms won't be this light when there is a roof on.

post-6781-0-92143300-1468170206.jpg

Thanks for your interest!

Andrew

(PS oh I just noticed that gap under the roof!!)

Really pleased to see the Survey of London material from BHO being used in this way. The full series can be found here:

http://www.british-history.ac.uk/search/series/survey-london

British History Online is one of the many excellent digital projects developed by the University of London's Institute of Historical Research (I must declare an interest, the Institute is my employer!). Most published volumes of the Survey of London are available and a fair percentage of the illustrations and drawings, together with a huge range of original sources and large quantities of secondary historical research, much of it available for free. 

Other useful resources for those of us interested in modelling historic buildings include the Royal Commission on the Historical Monuments of England inventory volumes, available here:

http://www.british-history.ac.uk/search/series/rchme

Some excellent structure modelling is the result - I'll have to show the publications team who put this stuff together. Thanks for sharing.

Adam

This really is an invaluable resource Adam.  I have enough ideas, drawings and photographs to inspire modelling into my dotage. 

Massively impressed with this modelling - really capturing the quirky nature of the building and the impressive façade - I love how you mix the different techniques and blend the different media pretty seamlessly - excellent work!

• 4 weeks later...

Moving on, I have now tiled the roof (so to say).  I opted for plastic sheet rather than cutting thin cardboard strips as I have elsewhere.  I wanted the roof to be rather decrepit and this would make card the best choice.  However, having printed out the sheets of tiles, I just couldn't face an evening cutting out those damn strips!  I'll have to weather the roof to give it the requisite clapped out look.

I am not particularly skilled with plastic which is why I am on this forum in the first place.  I found a little short cut which helps to get to tile sheets neatly measured up.  I made paper patterns directly from the roofs themselves by holding up a piece of paper of approximate size square to the ridge and then rubbing a nail along where the roof meets a wall or crease the paper over the roof's end.  Take off the paper and then cut along the creases and one has a (near) perfect pattern of the roof.  This is particularly useful for people like me who can't cut things perfectly square or as in this case where the roofs are complex shapes.

post-6781-0-87280100-1470583198.jpgpost-6781-0-67059700-1470583210.jpgpost-6781-0-60596000-1470583225.jpgpost-6781-0-07784500-1470583236.jpg

Hope this was of some interest.

Andrew

The original had exceptionally high chimneys, presumably to take away all that gin aroma .  Here I have some try out chimneys for size.  I still can't bring myself to weather the front!

Just an excuse to upload a few photos!

post-6781-0-89263100-1471128126.jpgpost-6781-0-54165700-1471128137.jpgpost-6781-0-74799100-1471128149.jpg

I've spent quite a bit of time adding odd paving stones and cutting into the paved surface to add texture to the yard and then adding filth in the form of dirty white spirit wash everywhere.  The whole building will get this treatment in due course to reflect its condition in the 1950s.

Andrew

post-6781-0-56962300-1471720986.jpgpost-6781-0-02305800-1471720975.jpgMore work on the chimneys.  I will attempt the balustrade at the top next, weather the whole thing and probably stop there.  It's going to be some time before I have a layout to put this on and any small details like gutters etc will probably get knocked off when it's packed away.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived