Sutton's Locomotive Works class 24

Dan Griffin

I would like another 24 in BR blue and a 24/1 with a headcode box in green, although to be honest, i really do not care, all i want is another couple of these superb models for my layout, the last release was in June at the Chatham show which seems like an eternity ago, maybe we will hear of an update around Warley, fingers crossed.

• RMweb Premium

I'm officially tempted to order a SLW Class 24 in a few weeks, especially after seeing some of the Youtube videos on them, deciding between the Tyne Dock one or one of the Crewe built examples.

You'l be very glad you did, believe me!

Noticed recently that on the SLW home page - photo 4 shows a nose end tooling with the discs/lamps "centered" on the plated over doors, as per some ScR 24 examples.  As the tooling appears to already exist, hopefully a model featuring this will be released sometime soon ?  

The silence from Phil & Jamie is doing my nut in, no new releases since the Chatham show in June ! Just put us out of our misery Phil, I need a couple more of your outstanding models to run on my layout please.

Perhaps another announcement to coincide with Warley is on the way, as they did last year.

• 3 weeks later...

If anyone is interested, I posted a short video of my pair of SLW class 24s in 'multiple' (that is, a DCC consist).

To get everything working smoothly, I had to tweak a few CVs (through JMRI Decoder Pro) to allow certain functions to work on the consist address (i.e. to work on both locomotives simultaneously). The ones required were F2, to work the brakes on both locos (otherwise the trailing loco keeps on pushing the leading loco even when its wheels have stopped!), F1 to turn the sounds on for both locos, , F5 to switch both locos into light engine/light load mode, and F6 to send both loco engine sounds back to idle.

Here we have D5000 and D5017 (renumbered from D5016):

• Like 4

I'd be interested to know how to do that using a NCE power cab. What cv's need to change?

I'm not actually sure of the CVs involved. I did the changes through JMRI Decoder Pro on a computer attached to the NCE system. That just requires the ticking of a few checkboxes, or selections from drop-down lists.

Ok so please excuse my ignorance about this but other than downloading the jmri soft ware, what else do i need?  is there any hardware i need to connect the mac to the power cab?

You will need a NCE USB Computer Interface For Powercab. 

Yes: for the Power Cab, you need the USB interface. I have that for the Power Cab I use on the programming track, but most of my programming using JMRI software actually goes through my full Power Pro system, which has a rather old fashioned serial (RS232) interface, which uses a straight serial cable from the Power Pro box into the serial port on my train room computer.

The class 24s use Zimo decoders, but for those I own with ESU LokSound decoders, I also have a LokProgrammer hooked up to the programming track, and linked through a USB cable to the computer. Each connection to my programming track is set through a 6-way rotary switch with two neutral (isolated) positions, so only one system is connected to the track at any one time. The right-hand 'Off' position in the photo is now labelled for 12V DC.

IMAG0400_zpscbc79128.jpg

While not recommended for a daily use computer, I have kept this old computer on Windows XP for reliable operation with the NCE/JMRI systems. It has access to the home network and Internet but is not normally connected unless I need updates - Windows XP is not very secure by current standards. If I download sound files or other software, I normally do that through other, more secure computers and copy the files across to the train room computer afterwards.

If you have an old computer (desktop or laptop) in your household that is a bit past its "use by" date, grab it for use as a supplement for your train rooms! :)

Sorry I have diverted the SLW thread a little off-topic. 

• Like 2

Phil Sutton and Jamie have raised the bar so far... I'll be using the discarded cardboard packaging to send my other locos to eBay!

Two questions - excuse me if they have been posed, and answered, already, but Google doesn’t think so.

1. Can CV29 be adjusted, in the usual way, to change direction?

2. On D5107, where should the enclosed shed plates go? The makers plates seem from photos to go below the cabside numbers, over the printed equivalents. There is something on some photos visible on the cab front doors next to the overhead warning flashes - is this the place?

And heres D5107 with plate in place...

http://southpelawjunction.co.uk/wp/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/2014-08-27_61.jpg

Thanks to John Donnelly for these photos on the excellent South Pelaw Junction web site

Phil

D5107 was also unusual in that it was one of the few 24's to retain its original round engine exhaust and be painted blue. See photo in link below.

https://flic.kr/p/w3dJ3M

Paul J.

Phil Sutton and Jamie have raised the bar so far... I'll be using the discarded cardboard packaging to send my other locos to eBay!

Two questions - excuse me if they have been posed, and answered, already, but Google doesn’t think so.

1. Can CV29 be adjusted, in the usual way, to change direction?

2. On D5107, where should the enclosed shed plates go? The makers plates seem from photos to go below the cabside numbers, over the printed equivalents. There is something on some photos visible on the cab front doors next to the overhead warning flashes - is this the place?

CV29 is standard for all decoders. As per the usual way, read CV29, then add 1 to the value if it is an even number, subtract 1 if it is odd to reverse the direction of travel compared to what you previously had.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

D5107 was also unusual in that it was one of the few 24's to retain its original round engine exhaust and be painted blue. See photo in link below.

https://flic.kr/p/w3dJ3M

Paul J.

Nice one Paul. From the positioning of the numbers am guessing it was an early repaint?

Phil

Nice one Paul. From the positioning of the numbers am guessing it was an early repaint?

Phil

Yes Phil. According to the Derby Sulzer website that style of blue first appeared in the Summer of 1967. The photo below on the David Hayes website shown it in blue in August 1968 in blue.

http://www.davidheyscollection.com/userimages/000-0-a-t-ermel-D5107-D5102.jpg

Additional I've just found this photo on E-bay, (note link might not work after a couple of days after this post), which is dated 21st June 1967 of D5107 in a clean looking blue, suggesting it is not long out of works, which would confirm the Derby Sulzer statement. That would suggest D5107 was an early 1967 repaint into blue.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/162278393948?clk_rvr_id=1126431328301&rmvSB=true

Paul J.