Sutton's Locomotive Works class 24

Dan Griffin

A scaled down gloss finish can be acheived by rubbing the paintwork with T-cut.  Gloss varnish can look poor but so does rtr marzipan finish,

To many, the detail and accuracy of a model are most important but I first notice the body finish and glazing; usually really poor on rtr stuff.

• RMweb Premium

Most plastic RTR suffers from a less than ideal paint finish IMO. That is not to say it stops me buying models and some are better than others but very few plastic models get close to the paint finish of a good brass or white metal model. One of the reasons I still buy US and Japanese outline brass is that despite the big leaps in plastic RTR there is still a big difference in finish.

• RMweb Premium

Could be you then Robin. Who's gonna graft on the headcodes and car lamps?, that's what I wanna know.

Andrew

From the brief conversation with Phil Sutton the other day if all goes well we are in for many versions of the Type 2 Bo-Bo.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Just ordered a 24081, non-sound and checked that I can upgrade to sound at a later date, Xmas presents deter this spend until next year. Unfortunately my better half already has my present so will have to be especially good over the holiday break.

Just a word of warning, my email from Jamie was in my spam folder that I check once a week, and my ISP deletes them weekly. The email was sent on Friday, good job for me that I checked.

I hope they sell well, and have supported this in the hope of seeing further baby sulzer action in 2016.

Neil

• RMweb Premium

I must admit that I was thinking that very minor work would be required to change it to one of the NYMR 24's. But somehow cutting, filing and repainting this model just seems 'wrong'.

Why?? It is just a model :P

Just had an email to say my 24081 is now 'Packing', so should be in my grubby paws soon. Plan is to renumber it - choices are either of the other 2 last survivors, 063 or 082. Front and side numbers off and new side numbers on.

082 would be my first choice, as it would neatly replace my decades-old Hornby 25/Craftsman conversion, but would require a boiler water tank. Whereas 063 was, like 081, sans tank. But 063 had lost at least one of the cab vent grilles by the end... So, if the Brassmasters tank passes muster, it might be 082 after all. I'll be carefully examining all the photos I can find of both 063 and 082, but it will be one of those.

Either way, it will get a bit of grot applied and generally tarted down for service. 081 was kept in fairly clean condition in the last year or so, but the other two were fairly grubby by their respective demises in early 1979.

I doubt that spare detailing parts would be freely available - having invested in the high quality tooling, I can't see RE/SLW wanting to see their parts used to simply tart-up inferior models. I have no problem with that, protecting one's investment makes proper business sense.

Edited by CloggyDeux
  • Like 2

Yes, but to use my earlier example of the Mona Lisa- it's just a picture... but you go try and deface it.

I can't understand the fuss about that old painting. Grief, with the money that museum is worth surely they could afford a newer painting by now.

Edited by Derekstuart

If anyone is going to weather one, they should practice on something less important first. How about drawing moustache's on the mona lisa?

Assuming I can get my hands on 24081 when it is released to non previous customers it is due some weathering, probably pretty quickly so I can use it at the next show I am at.

• RMweb Premium

Just had an email to say my 24081 is now 'Packing', so should be in my grubby paws soon. Plan is to renumber it - choices are either of the other 2 last survivors, 063 or 082. Front and side numbers off and new side numbers on.

082 would be my first choice, as it would neatly replace my decades-old Hornby 25/Craftsman conversion, but would require a boiler water tank. Whereas 063 was, like 081, sans tank. But 063 had lost at least one of the cab vent grilles by the end... So, if the Brassmasters tank passes muster, it might be 082 after all. I'll be carefully examining all the photos I can find of both 063 and 082, but it will be one of those.

Either way, it will get a bit of grot applied and generally tarted down for service. 081 was kept in fairly clean condition in the last year or so, but the other two were fairly grubby by their respective demises in early 1979.

I doubt that spare detailing parts would be freely available - having invested in the high quality tooling, I can't see RE/SLW wanting to see their parts used to simply tart-up inferior models. I have no problem with that, protecting one's investment makes proper business sense.

Cor Blimey, that is two Mr Sutton has poor Jamie wrapping up today.

Even though I was a previous customer for the now cancelled class 33, because I went shares in a two-pack with a friend, his name is on the list and mine is not. However, I have now done the same thing with another friend who is on the returning customer list, and have ordered a green D5000 with sound.

Looking forward to receiving mine, although it may take a while with the Christmas postal rush.

Rob

A quick o/t if I may. When is your next show? Apologies if it is already on your excellent thread- there are lot of pages to read through. I found pictures of your layout on google, but could never quite find where they came from until this weekend. Excellent work indeed- I have looked at all the pictures, but not read the text yet. In fact, I found the last page and have just worked backwards, effectively watching you dismantle it. Very convincing work indeed.

Sorry for the o/t

Assuming I can get my hands on 24081 when it is released to non previous customers it is due some weathering, probably pretty quickly so I can use it at the next show I am at.

Rob

A quick o/t if I may. When is your next show? Apologies if it is already on your excellent thread- there are lot of pages to read through. I found pictures of your layout on google, but could never quite find where they came from until this weekend. Excellent work indeed- I have looked at all the pictures, but not read the text yet. In fact, I found the last page and have just worked backwards, effectively watching you dismantle it. Very convincing work indeed.

Sorry for the o/t

Hi Derek, Yate on 13th Feb, then Corsham on 9th/10th April, I will post an up to date list o my thread shortly. It is also in BRM which comes out on Thursday.

Thanks

I think this previous customer idea is a bit naff.  If you look at Rail Exclusives website it includes many previous limited edition models that I purchased under the past models section but still I never received any offer to purchase the new class 24.  Does the invite depend on how much you have spent??

I think this previous customer idea is a bit naff.  If you look at Rail Exclusives website it includes many previous limited edition models that I purchased under the past models section but still I never received any offer to purchase the new class 24.  Does the invite depend on how much you have spent??

I agree, not a previous customer only because they haven't  produced anything mainline in my mid 70's timeperiod. Am waiting for the general order book to open though, if I get one it will be turned into a workworn 24 035.

i replied to my email i received regarding pre order, but not heard back from them yet. seeing as it was nearly a week since the email i would have thought i would have heard back by now. can't be hundreds on the pre order list

I sent them an email when it was first announced on here but never received a reply (checked spam folder but nothing)

Just ordered a 24081, non-sound and checked that I can upgrade to sound at a later date

Neil, So we can definitely order a non-sound version and get sound later? I know it was mentioned that the sound project wouldn't be available seperately to others who wanted it for their Bachmann locos but i was hoping people who bought a non-sound SLW 24 could later upgrade. If this is true thats great news :)