Dapol Black Label Range

Ian Hargrave

• RMweb Premium

I'd like it if Dapol were to take inspiration from the Broadway Limited Imports brass hybrid series of steam locomotives over in the US. For those not familiar with these brass hybrids they marry a brass body and tender with a regular diecast chassis and fit digital sound. Effectively they offer the body shell detail and finish of a brass model (although in fairness they do lose some of the refinements of high end brass) with the running qualities and digital functionality of a regular RTR model. They're not cheap but they're a quality product and personally I think in terms of value they're excellent. If Dapol developed this Black Label range to offer brass hybrids then it'd be a very interesting development. With normal RTR prices climbing all the time I think there'd be a market to spend more for something that is a bit special.

Edited by jjb1970

• 3 weeks later...

I am supposed to be subscribed for their newsletter but have never received one! I also registered interest in the A4, but have heard nothing. I even phoned them a few weeks ago and they confirmed that I was registered with them, but I still haven't received anything. I've tried their website, but that still says the A4 is expected in March. Is their any hope that this A4 will be worth buying, assuming they will actually produce this model and notify me accordingly?

• 3 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hi,

A newsletter update was emailed today.  New pictures and detailed spec of what you'll get in the box were outlined.The BL Dapol A4 now expected to arrive during early November, with a holding deposit being taken from those who have registered interest during October.  I can only presume that the Dapol digest will be updated soon too hopefully.

I'll best get saving and looking forward to receiving mine! 

Cheers

Peter

Edited by Pedro32
  • Like 1

There was one running at the Dapol Club Open Day today.  Looked very nice indeed, if a little too high gloss for my taste (though it was Mallard so may be museum condition).  Smoke appeared to be coming from both nostrils.

Very tasty.  My wallet is very thankful I built the headshunt on "No Place" just big enough to take a K1 and nothing bigger.....

Les

(who nevertheless bought another pair of A3s, but in N.....)

Edited by Les1952
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Just reading the blurb, it says in DC mode, a controller with >1.2amps is required.

Anyone know which is best ? (I use gaugemaster but they are rated 1amp), I don't see any from Hornby or Bachmann either, Any suggestions ?

I would suggest giving Gaugemaster a call.I'm sure they will be able to advise you.Also,reading their promo pdf I see that the current drag is greatest while using the smoke generator.Do you really need that ? From what I have seen,I could cheerfully do without it. Besides which isn't there some concern over the carcenogenic risk of the use such things ?

Edited by Ian Hargrave
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I'd like it if Dapol were to take inspiration from the Broadway Limited Imports brass hybrid series of steam locomotives over in the US. For those not familiar with these brass hybrids they marry a brass body and tender with a regular diecast chassis and fit digital sound. Effectively they offer the body shell detail and finish of a brass model (although in fairness they do lose some of the refinements of high end brass) with the running qualities and digital functionality of a regular RTR model. They're not cheap but they're a quality product and personally I think in terms of value they're excellent. If Dapol developed this Black Label range to offer brass hybrids then it'd be a very interesting development. With normal RTR prices climbing all the time I think there'd be a market to spend more for something that is a bit special.

A 2 year warranty is a safety net.The latest video link also impresses. Have sent for the"form" :onthequiet: Anybody's for a bit of gloss :scratchhead:

I would suggest giving Gaugemaster a call.I'm sure they will be able to advise you.Also,reading their promo pdf I see that the current drag is greatest while using the smoke generator.Do you really need that ? From what I have seen,I could cheerfully do without it. Besides which isn't there some concern over the carcenogenic risk of the use such things ?

Also  speak  to  Morley Controlers  southport   excellent  quality   Analogue  control units,  some  having  the  added  advantage of including hand held controllers  as  well as  the units control knob

I have  purchased  Morley Controllers  for  analogue  use  ( must  admit I am mostly  digital though)  I found them  to  be  excellent units  giving  fine  control  and  they are very competitively priced usually  post  free,  in fact  when  you  include  the additional items  provided they  are probably les expensive than the  competition,

They don't  get mentioned very often, as they  don't seem to advertise much,  but  they usually have  a  small 1/8 page  in  Railway Modeller

www.morleycontrollers.com

Edited by Stevelewis
  • Like 1

Have  a  look  at  Morleycontrollers.com  ( southport)  Manfrs  of  an  excellent  range  of  good  value  nice  looking  analogue  power  units, some of   which  come  with   many   cost  saving  extras  such   built  in  CDU  and  additional  plug in  hand   held  controllers  to enable  remote  use.

I agree on  the  smoke  units  and  health  hazard   some  years  ago  it  was  stated  that   smoke from  the  oil  was  several  times  more   harmful  than Cigarette  smoke,  I  don't  even  ue  smoke  units   outdoors  let  alone  indoors!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I was very very tempted by Mallard but the paint finish on the link above is a bit orange peel when you zoom to actual size. I've got several metal bodied locos without such a lumpy finish, so is it the paint or casting? Edit: looking close at the others the casting is fine its the gloss paint that's rough.

I hope they sort that out on production ones as they look great until you get close in. I don't mind it on diecast models for £10-20 but not on these when we've got nice crisp castings and flat paint from Bachmann and Hornby on metal body parts.

I'll hold on a pre order until I can see one in the flesh on that, shame when the rest looks so good.

Edited by PaulRhB

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Small review on the Hornby Magazine website: http://www.hornbymagazine.com/2016/11/04/blog-steam-camera-action/

I have just played the Hornby Magazine video clip. I wish I could be positive about this but in all honesty I cannot.

IMHO the cabside and windows are wrong..Pardon the rhyming couplet ...the smoke is a joke.Plain silly. Thus I will keep my wallet in slumber mode.I had previously been tempted.Sorry.

Edited by Ian Hargrave
  • Like 3

I have just played the Hornby Magazine video clip. I wish I could be positive about this but in all honesty I cannot.

IMHO the cabside and windows are wrong..Pardon the rhyming couplet ...the smoke is a joke.Plain silly. Thus I will keep my wallet in slumber mode.I had previously been tempted.Sorry.

An interesting reaction with which I broadly agree. I think I’d concluded that I didn’t want to part with that amount of money when there is so much else to spend it on, not least Dapol’s own 68s, 59s and wagons. The finish looks attractive, not unlike the gloss finishes Hornby has done for the NRM at less cost.

Perhaps smoke is a bit like sound in that it would never be confused with the original but I think it can be an attractive feature. The trouble is that I have long since decided that it would rapidly become choking in a confined space and settle as muck over everything. It might also be a carcinogen, although I need hardly worry about that as something else is likely to have finished me off before the smoke has had enough time to do it.

So, if I don’t want the smoke feature, the McTavish in me is disinclined to pay for it.

• RMweb Gold

An interesting reaction with which I broadly agree. I think I’d concluded that I didn’t want to part with that amount of money when there is so much else to spend it on, not least Dapol’s own 68s, 59s and wagons. The finish looks attractive, not unlike the gloss finishes Hornby has done for the NRM at less cost.

Perhaps smoke is a bit like sound in that it would never be confused with the original but I think it can be an attractive feature. The trouble is that I have long since decided that it would rapidly become choking in a confined space and settle as muck over everything. It might also be a carcinogen, although I need hardly worry about that as something else is likely to have finished me off before the smoke has had enough time to do it.

So, if I don’t want the smoke feature, the McTavish in me is disinclined to pay for it.

And by unerring theatrical coincidence,arrives Hornby's very own Glossy Gresleys....hopefully without at least in the case of the A1 and A3 the quaint ski slope hallmark.The A4 is Hornby at its best.....and a green 'un too at long last,albeit in gloss finish which I appreciate is not to everyone's taste....except mine.

• RMweb Gold

And by unerring theatrical coincidence,arrives Hornby's very own Glossy Gresleys....hopefully without at least in the case of the A1 and A3 the quaint ski slope hallmark.The A4 is Hornby at its best.....and a green 'un too at long last,albeit in gloss finish which I appreciate is not to everyone's taste....except mine.

At the risk of taking this thread away from Dapol.  Have you looked at the photo on Hornby's website?  I could be mistaken but there appears to be a bit of an upward tilt on the A1 and the A3.

:offtopic:

… and mine. The model looks as if it’s made out of metal. Osprey looks stunning and by happy chance I have an A4 sound decoder to spare. I wonder if the trailing truck is still plastic and can be carved to allow side play on flanged trailing wheels, which I hope are still provided. Unfortunately, so far as I can see, the sound projects available don’t make a distinction between plain single chimney and Kychap double.

I fear I cannot trust Hornby’s A3s and Gresley A1s after the reports of warped running plates and as for Cock o’ the North, keep the paint. Re-tool the rest of it and use it as the basis for one of the last four.

...I cannot trust Hornby’s A3s and Gresley A1s after the reports of warped running plates ...

Then again it is a big choice of one source for these types in OO RTR! They do straighten, and there's quite a lot else to rectify too while about it. You never know, maybe Dapol, Hattons or Oxford will fancy a go one day. There's no untrampled turf if a popular, pretty, multiple livery opportunities, named and variant rich pacific is to be added to a range.

... as for Cock o’ the North, keep the paint. Re-tool the rest of it and use it as the basis for one of the last four

...or even all six in final form with the Bugatti front end treatment. Much more attractive than 'first thoughts'. I imagine that Hornby will exploit this once they have drained CotN dry.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

In stock and on sale at warley today.

(I think this was the only new tooled loco to be released to sale today)

All versions except BR Green and LNER green.

I saw 4464,4467,4468,2510,2512.

All looked very cool, was assured for DC users, this will work with sound, lights and smoke for a gaugemaster model W (obviously sound is limited when on DC).

Comes with a black box, includes extra centre driving wheel (with traction tyres) for those that need it to pull more than 5kg, smoke oil / funnel and an extra cartazzi bogie / wheel.

Looks good, didn't realise about the flickering firebox glow. Has the cab rain sheet fitted (its rubber) and a spare.

Considering the price, an A4 with Sound, 3 Lights & smoke this isn't bad at all.

BR and LNER green to follow.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi adb, how does it compare, looks wise, with the latest Hornby offering?

They had 4468 running on their circular show layout, with some older railroad teaks.. tbh those railroad teaks looked well out of place it has to run with the new ones.. so I guess by that statement I'm saying it's up there in detail.

The differences that make it stand out are the fitted headlamps, and the cab rain sheeting (which isn't dispensable as it sits on a fitting that would look odd if it were removed).

It's a slightly more glossy finish than I originally expected, the blue looks darker, but 2510/2512 look feel very close to Hornby's recent versions, (I say more satin glossy if Hornby is more satin/matt), so it'll be the different one on shed. However if it were a matt finish, it'd be oily from the smoke oil and not easy to clean.

That said, from the few 1930s pictures out there, the original silver A4s do look more glossy than Hornbys.

post-20773-0-12302600-1480201128_thumb.jpg

I almost pulled the trigger and bought Bittern today,(more sentimental as I was on one of the 90mph runs in 2013) I most likely still will, but as I model more BR steam era I am going to wait to see the BR green ones first, as it's unlikely I'll buy two, but having seen these initial ones my gut feel, as i didnt see yet, is the BR green (if as glossy as the current ones) the BR could be a closer match to Bachmanns for colour/finish and LNER green closer to the new Hornby Limited editions.

The guy on the Dapol stand said there is a switch underneath to turn the smoke off, though when i'd run it, it would be because I want to show it off, which as a DC person was why I was so keen to ensure which controller I can use, and still get steam/Sound/lights and action.

One will find a home with me, either Bittern or BR Green.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1