Mark's workbench - lockdown loco build (page 17)

• RMweb Premium

Pannier tank?

Andy

Yes - this is the 00 one I'm doing for my Dad; might see if I can get my own EM one to a similar state tonight and build them simultaneously.

So far so good. Only issue has been the rivets that took a lot of pressure to push through and aren't as neat as I'd like them to be. Might give them a few turns with a drill before trying to press them through on the next one. No problems getting the frames together straight and square, bit of work to do cleaning up the hornblock guides.

• RMweb Premium

Decided it might be a good idea to complete this one before starting on the EM one. Last night I cleaned up the hornblock guides to get them moving freely, added the fixed bearing to the rear axle hole and assembled the coupling rods and gearbox (Comet 38:1).

post-6677-0-31524500-1454397990_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

What's the benefit of fitting a new chassis to an rtr body ? Re-gauged to EM I can understand, but is it for cosmetic or operational ( lower gear ratio ) reasons ?

From my perspective, it is purely for the experience and to build up my skills; plus I was asked to - and after all, the customer is always right (even if they aren't paying).

I had assumed, until I took the body off that the loco was on an old Mainline style chassis, in which case there probably would be significant benefits in performance. Having lifted the lid, I find it is a newer version, so I do need to check whether Dad gave me the correct donor loco amongst the box of bits he handed over.

• RMweb Premium

I can add a bit here...  Compensated chassis will improve the number of wheels on the track at any point in time as it negotiates the track work, More wheels on the track inevitably improves power pick up and traction.  A new chassis will enable the provision of higher geared drive and the addition of a fly wheel if Mark chooses.  If regauging the wheels the gap between the driving wheels and the chassis will be too big  so yes there are some cosmetic benefits.

I guess the reasons differ between locomotives and the objectives of the person making the change

Andy

The Collett cab is the giveaway: Mainline never produced one. My example of the Bachmann pannier runs well (with EM wheels) and with cosmetic overlays gives a nice impression of the relief of ashpan detail and so on. The wheels look better than Romfords too. Even the brake shoes are quite nice, so unless it's a dud (possible), I'd leave well alone. A Mainline on the other hand, I'd re-chassis without a second thought, even in OO.

Nevertheless, good luck with it. I must dig out my Terrier and get that chassis working properly.

Adam

• RMweb Premium

Agree with Andy about the benefits of compensation, but as Adam says, these Bachmann chassis really aren't bad. The EM Jinty that occasionally appears on BCB has a very similar mechanism with Ultrascales and runs very nicely.

The thought had crossed my mind that (assuming the Bachmann chassis runs OK) I might re-wheel that one to EM to go under my Mainline pannier body and complete this one with the 00 compensated chassis. Ah, the joys of modelling in three different gauges!

The Bachmann chassis has a sprung centre axle, as I recall, so compensation is built in - there should be a minimum of 5 wheels on the rail at all times. Mine's happier with a decent train behind it (it's good for 30 odd wagons), but it's a perfectly decent, controllable, shunting machine if the mood takes me that way. If converting one to EM you'll need to replace the brake pull rods but since they're a bit chunky it's probably worthwhile in any event.

Adam

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Loco chassis and soldering tools are 120 miles away, so it's back to plastic wagons for tonight's exciting installment.

Here is the Mink C which I started on last week. The roof supplied is very thin; great news in terms of how it will look, but some concerns it will sag on such a long wagon. The answer, some intermediate supports.

post-6677-0-20444400-1454529891_thumb.jpg

Preparing the solebars for running gear; I file away the rear of the axle guard until only the axlebox and spring remain.

post-6677-0-98698800-1454530000_thumb.jpg

Then open out the hole for the bearing in the rear of the axlebox to allow up and down movement of the sprung bearing.

post-6677-0-68667800-1454530168_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

What's the benefit of fitting a new chassis to an rtr body ? Re-gauged to EM I can understand, but is it for cosmetic or operational ( lower gear ratio ) reasons ?

In my case, I picked up a couple of cheap spare bodies off Ebay (some from the batch of mis-numbered ones) with the intention of butchering them removing the topfeed and needed a chassis so took the opportunity to get a High Level chassis to go under the body that survives surgery.

• RMweb Premium

In my case, I picked up a couple of cheap spare bodies off Ebay (some from the batch of mis-numbered ones) with the intention of butchering them removing the topfeed and needed a chassis so took the opportunity to get a High Level chassis to go under the body that survives surgery.

Mmm, the High Level option; despite having a Perseverance chassis I've not ruled out the HL route for my EM one.

• RMweb Gold

I built the Ian Kirk Mink about 30 years ago and it languished in a stock box until last year when I re-discovered it and started refurbishing it (repaint and detailing the brake gear). The roof was still flat with no sags, so you will definitely have no problems with sag with those supports in there. :)

• Like 1

Not necessarily.  My version is about the same age and the roof had already distorted when I started building it about 5 years ago.  I made a boiling-water-and-plasticard-around-a-suitable-former replacement which had started to uncurl before I'd even finished building the rest of the kit.

Mine has Bill Bedford springing and is undoubtedly the most free-running item of rolling stock I have.  Too free running, if anything.  It can roll away on sidings my spirit level insists are absolutely level! 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Think I'm glad I played it safe on the Mink roof then; I guess a number of factors could affect whether or not it might warp over time. I routinely add one or more internal dividers to help keep vans square, so it wasn't much more effort to shape them so they support the roof. The combination of Bill Bedford's suspension units and a decent amount of weight does make for a nice free running wagon.

Checked with Dad regarding the Pannier; he thinks he has an earlier one which is much more needing of a new chassis, so I'll put the Collett cab version back together on its Bachmann chassis.

Opportunity arose to buy a couple of wagon kits on my lunch break today; always a pleasure to visit KS Models in Stevenage - can't be many model shops left with such a wide and varied range of stock.