'Cambrian Street'

BobM

• RMweb Gold

Hi

For anyone close to my village, there is a small model show planned for tomorrow.

Bob

9E7803E9-C712-4AC0-9DDA-4EF8FF648249.jpeg.a8c111238124c62a2de5dde531dd75e4.jpeg

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Evening all,

Hope all are well?

Hopefully I’ve made further progress on the scenic street?

The steps have been tweaked and the intended ‘cobbled’ road surface has been cut, a gate will seal the step access from the  street and a further step inserted.

Pavement to be added.

Have a great respective weekend guys, take care please and stay safe!

Regards always

Bob

IMG_6693.jpeg.e1e30497b92df583aa5f28e78ce6205b.jpeg

IMG_6692.jpeg.f58af1064d903b2d604e1cda4ad1b437.jpeg

IMG_6691.jpeg.39b52f1365af8b583c832620f125fc18.jpeg

Edited by BobM
  • Like 5

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, The Bandit said:

Looking good Bob. What’s going in the space between the terrace and, pub? Interested to know because I’ve included a ginnel on my backscene.

Cheers,

Unsure, however exactly how to treat ‘the gap’ as it’s non to wide scaled up the distance being 20 feet.

As an alternative if inserting a derelict cottage the gap becomes 10 foot, so a choice?

The latter is more of a passageway perhaps.

Any ideas?

Regards always 

Bob

IMG_6708.jpeg.02c326fece73cd0936ebc45fa09a6b9d.jpeg

IMG_6707.jpeg.0fa45c19cccfa7426c267b5cc4c64f1d.jpeg

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, GWR57xx said:

Seems a shame not to use the pub.

How about a narrow road leading to a garden square with a memorial statue?

Hi

Sounds good!

I’m leaning towards the original pub scenario as its inclusion brings a bit of colour and character to the line of buildings.

Planning to put the pavements in next.

Bob

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi all,

Have made up a quick ‘how it may look’ scenario, forming up a footpath in front of the cottages and pub.

The 5’ footpaths are made up of cut to size (3x2) and (2x2) paving from plasticard, mounted on a balsa base, some paving is ‘broken’ and out of place for effect.

Ends up with a scale sized 6’ cobbled gap between the footpaths separating the pub and shop, which given that there’s no intention for vehicular access, only foot traffic and possibly a handcart, may be acceptable?

Would appreciated comments

Regards always

Bob

IMG_6715.jpeg.38121f77d0acd23c00d32ab4525fc408.jpeg

Edited by BobM
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold
32 minutes ago, lezz01 said:

I would replace the cobbles with setts Bob. That sort of cobbles were really only used in gardens.

Regards Lez.

Cheers Lez,

Hope all is well?

Bob

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, BobM said:

Cheers Lez,

Hope all is well?

Bob

Well TBH things have been better Bob. 

Have a read of my latest posts on my thread and you'll see why mate.

Regards Lez.

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, The Bandit said:

Like the gap. Setts (cobbles) would definitely look best. The pavings look a bit heavy if you don’t mind me saying.

Hi

Always appreciate input, I’ve got to revisit the paving and surface, the look of It doesn’t sit comfortably with me at the moment.

Bob

What looks “off” to me with the paving is that I’m now expecting to see a road running along there and there isn’t room for one, whether is cobbled (setts) or tarmac.

I’d scrap the idea of a separate pavement @BobM and either go with cobbles (setts) or paving slabs right across the whole area between the wall and the house fronts.

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

@BobM, hope you don’t mind me asking, but what is your prototype inspiration behind the houses above the engine depot? I’m asking because my mind’s eye is expecting to see the rear of houses in that sort of situation rather than the fronts.

If it’s any help, I used rent a house in a set of terraces where the fronts were close to each other. The distance between the terraces was way less than the width of a road, each house had a narrow strip of garden with a low wall and there was a path, about two or three flags wide, running down the centre of the gap between the terraces. I remember it being very dark in the front room, even in summer, since the house opposite blocked most of the light!

Maybe your houses were in a similar arrangement until the opposite terrace was demolished to make space for the railway extending its depot?

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Tortuga said:

What looks “off” to me with the paving is that I’m now expecting to see a road running along there and there isn’t room for one, whether is cobbled (setts) or tarmac.

I’d scrap the idea of a separate pavement @BobM and either go with cobbles (setts) or paving slabs right across the whole area between the wall and the house fronts.

Cheers,

It does look a bit odd, in the cool light of the subsequent evening!

I’m going to redo with setts, so bear with me!

Much appreciate everyone’s support.

Regards

Bob

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Tortuga said:

@BobM, hope you don’t mind me asking, but what is your prototype inspiration behind the houses above the engine depot? I’m asking because my mind’s eye is expecting to see the rear of houses in that sort of situation rather than the fronts.

If it’s any help, I used rent a house in a set of terraces where the fronts were close to each other. The distance between the terraces was way less than the width of a road, each house had a narrow strip of garden with a low wall and there was a path, about two or three flags wide, running down the centre of the gap between the terraces. I remember it being very dark in the front room, even in summer, since the house opposite blocked most of the light!

Maybe your houses were in a similar arrangement until the opposite terrace was demolished to make space for the railway extending its depot?

Hi

I appreciate every piece of input, so please always message.

I hadn’t really a concept other than to bring an interest to the rear of the shed, it is a narrow frontage indeed.

Will revamp and see how it looks.

Cheers always 

Bob

• RMweb Gold

Evening all, 

I’m looking at using sets for the street paving instead of cobbles, maybe it doesn’t need anything further?

Regards always

Bob

IMG_6721.jpeg.fcd241df1623b1f9030033b9aab9fd94.jpeg

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
46 minutes ago, Graham T said:

I think it will look too busy if you add pavements as well.  Not sure what to suggest about hiding the gap though...

Thinking to just have the sets at present, the pavement indeed overwhelmed the look, maybe the front doorstep is sufficient?

Will work on the gap!

Regards

Bob