'Cambrian Street'

BobM

• RMweb Gold

My only reservation about this is would the railway company go to the expense of putting a bridge over a siding Bob? Were the Cambrian not parsimonious then? I always thought that they were a bit tight given that they loved a single line over a double track every day of the week? Or is that just my Midland bias showing through?

Regards Lez. 

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
On 20/02/2023 at 19:02, lezz01 said:

My only reservation about this is would the railway company go to the expense of putting a bridge over a siding Bob? Were the Cambrian not parsimonious then? I always thought that they were a bit tight given that they loved a single line over a double track every day of the week? Or is that just my Midland bias showing through?

Regards Lez. 

Took me about 5 minutes to find several Cambrian overbridgea on double track, one on what amounted to quadruple track (it was near a spot where two routes joined) and one which passed over a total of 5 lines at least two of which were sidings.  All of these existed on Pre-Grouping days and all lasted into BR times and the early 1960s.  The two big ones can be seen in varipus photos I quickly found on the 'net.

PS I opnly looked at one stretch of Cambrian route to fond them - not the coast lines.

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Evening guys...

Just by way of an update,  a bridge facade has been obtained from Skytrax to begin the process of forming the scenic break for the 'disappearing' siding project, this taking a little while longer than intended due to continuing health issues, but being on here with you guys, working on the layout, having the SVR at Arley to concentrate on,  are all great therapy.

Will post further when able....

Cheers with regards always,

Bob

Edited by BobM
  • Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 7

• RMweb Gold

Afternoon from a snowy Staffordshire!

This is how we are now, the bridge facade is made up and although tweaking required, this is how the ‘siding’s’ concept may take shape?

Regards

Bob

89740DF4-12A8-42D7-9B10-42BD6820869C.jpeg.69f27bb38fc179307444e2fb3a33b452.jpeg

• Like 5

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Afternoon my dear friends,

Sorry it’s been a while posting (things been a bit up and down health wise) , have been building and creating the scenic, disused road bridge that is intended to form the break over the discussed sidings. Weathered up and painted now, hope that it’ll do the business? Comments as always appreciated.

Will post when inserted in position. Further weathering to be done.

Regards always, stay safe please!

Bob

0B76009F-E722-4271-9CCC-0558B987EF7D.jpeg.429cf8d63d77a500bc7f151ed9b3b9c6.jpeg

93961DFA-CC6D-413A-97A3-4B8A9D46FC69.jpeg.5239b03c50d25c65e2505e6504d82f9c.jpeg

236022E1-A9D1-4BD4-B280-6422EFC061E9.jpeg.9203f285debf88fcafa496aef01fad5f.jpeg

F19F28F9-BEE1-494E-AF62-DCEEEC9BF2D8.jpeg.9fd670d7d5cd5c97d441b6b933c92fbb.jpeg

Edited by BobM
  • Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 7
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold
10 minutes ago, Bill37 said:

Excellent piece of work Bob, those cobbles look great.

Thank you Bill for your very kind comments, I have enjoyed working on this small project, it’s been great to switch off!

Used three shades of tan to paint irregular areas or groupings of setts, with a darker grey on some, then dry brushed a light grey over all of the surface, finally finger rubbing ‘smoke’ weathering powder into the gaps between. A light scattering of light flock added to give a bit of mossy effect.

Just need to weather the sides of the bridge to complete?

Regards always 

Bob

Edited by BobM
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Evening all,

Here’s the bridge, placed for effect into its intended position… hope it looks great okay?

4D498B7B-577D-4036-BDAD-F8910AB6A434.jpeg.15e4520184d27b91611863e8be6dfe54.jpeg

Regards always,

Bob

• Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Afternoon all,

I hope that today’s weather has been as glorious with your good selves as it has been here in South Staffordshire, after a mornings gym rehabilitation session at Action Heart, a walk into the village for lunch and a walk along the tow path of the Staffs/ Worcestershire canal in the most wonderful sunshine, came back home to settle on the track arrangement for the loco shed and yard.

Have placed the intended track layout into position and now needs to be separated into sections, pinned down and wired up.

Will post further as hopefully progress is made as time goes on?

Hope all are well?

Regards always

Bob

8EC94A97-4BC3-4008-A8F0-112481D203D3.jpeg.d2c4740f0b4d50957ef7a70199793c8d.jpeg

E7C88736-C0C3-434B-829A-D670FDDAC49E.jpeg.a23310e524720fbeabaed80a2bd2b734.jpeg

0BE63B8C-5609-41AA-90E8-0795F99EE240.jpeg.0bbea66def6c1609bcb46a77d8573fc2.jpeg

8635990D-9A70-4DA4-97A9-2495FDDBD079.jpeg.7a646e0f29fcaf8ce61d9d191944897c.jpeg

Edited by BobM
  • Like 11

• RMweb Gold
12 minutes ago, Nighthawk said:

Outstanding! You have achieved your goal.

Hi

I’ve got to work out in my head now, how to and where to place a decent spread of inspection pits, whether to have these within the shed, outside it or both, and perhaps an ash pit, water column positioning, together with all the shed  ‘furniture’ that goes with it!

Regards always 

Bob

Edited by BobM
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
16 hours ago, BobM said:

Hi

I’ve got to work out in my head now, how to and where to place a decent spread of inspection pits, whether to have these within the shed, outside it or both, and perhaps an ash pit, water column positioning, together with all the shed  ‘furniture’ that goes with it!

Regards always 

Bob

Normal GW arrangement was ash pits on the coal stage road - and they seem to have usually been deeper than prep its.  Prep pits inside the shed and immediately  front of the shed at many places but not universally so.

Ideally there should be a siding alongside the ash pits for loading ash to wagons to take it away.  and although is seems to have someyimes happened in the final years it was very bad form to drop ash/clean a fire into a prep pit.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

I must confess that I preferred his other persona "Sir Les Patterson" to "Dame Edna" but either way he was a very funny man and by all accounts a fiercely loyal and loving friend to his many pals. He will be sorely missed by many I suspect. The other stage "Dames" I miss are Hinge and Bracket, two truly funny guys.

Regards Lez.     

• Friendly/supportive 2

• 3 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hi

I am so sorry that is has been an embarrassingly long length of time since I have posted anything.

It has taken me far too long to come to terms with things, however I have been rebuilding with greater strength over the last few months in all aspects,  health and confidence / personal finance took a battering since in railwayman's terms, my workshop visit for 'boiler repairs' and a tube washout last year!

Returned to work,  part-time now so hopefully on the right side, thankfully not as yet ready to be'withdrawn from traffic'.

Have intentions to focus on the engine shed/ MPD area firstly to ease myself back into things.

Regards always guys,

Bob

• Friendly/supportive 11

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Afternoon!

I hope everyone is well?

I always seem to be apologising, but yet again I must sincerely do so for the protracted absence and a further ‘false start’  in announcing a return to modelling previously.

Hopefully healthy enough now to do so and have been ‘spurred on and the interest rekindled’ by a visit to (what is a bit like myself, perfectly formed but small 😀) model show in the village centre today when I’ve purchased just a few buffer stops. Yes, they may not be correct time wise or for the region, but it’s got me back hopefully into things.

Do, this is the area I’m going to try to wire up, and get the engine shed, stabling yard and latterly the turntable which I intend at the moment to have as just a scenic/ atmospheric section as I’m not confident to attempt anything further?

We will see how things go!

As they say around here ‘ I’ a Jed yet’ so it’s a good starting point!

Regards to all my dear friends and once again, sorry for the ‘static broadcast’ only over the last year.

Bob

IMG_5031.jpeg.d89bc08ed6c1439aba31f132c085064d.jpeg

IMG_5030.jpeg.09790920d1308f31e055472531678c0b.jpeg

IMG_5029.jpeg.70de21192c7d1e6acaecf25f103a08e4.jpeg

• Like 11