My Layout and other projects.

Father Dougal

Great work Dougal. I love the Fowler shunter in ECC livery - superb. One of your shots appeared to have a milk float heading into a building - driven by Pat Mustard?

Paul

Ps - loving your Presflo cement wagon - I only ever remember Presflos in grotty bauxite - covered in grime and cement

Great work Dougal. I love the Fowler shunter in ECC livery - superb. One of your shots appeared to have a milk float heading into a building - driven by Pat Mustard?

Paul

Ps - loving your Presflo cement wagon - I only ever remember Presflos in grotty bauxite - covered in grime and cement

Thanks Paul,

I have 4 more Presflo's to build- These will be JLRT kits, 2 have arrived and 2 are on back order.

Dougal

• Like 2

Hello, This week I have been finishing off the VDA kit. It came out quite well. Here it is looking a tad grubby.

post-18380-0-23245800-1462184504_thumb.jpeg

You can also see the track cleaner with its new cover in the same shot.

post-18380-0-74329200-1462184515_thumb.jpeg

The donor van was an old Lima model I had in my bits box. I cut out the floor, added a new roof (with a hole in it) and fitted both plastic and foam surrounds to enable to cover to fit snugly.

Here is an underside shot

post-18380-0-18380600-1462184527_thumb.jpeg

I found that my 47 is the best loco to push the cleaner around. Unfortunately I had a spot of buffer lock on my tightest curve so I added a bit of wire to the buffers to resolve the problem.

I spent a short while this morning installing the sound decoder to my class 129. Very straightforward. I need to restock on insulation tape before I secure the body to the chassis.

I have 4 drivers awaiting a coat of paint, 1 is destined to drive the class 129, whilst the other 3 will drive my 08, 47 and 33. I also need to repaint the 08 and 20 into Blue.

By the way, the sound file is great. It even has windscreen wipers! Those nice people at DigiTrains also attached a stay alive unit to the decoder, which saved me a job. As this was the first time I have ever hard wired a decoder I am pleased with the results, however it will be a while before I pluck up the courage to have a go at my smaller locos.

Dougal.

• Like 3

Hello Dougal, I love the van cover for the tank, ingenious,

I would be interested if you could put a video of your 129 with the sound on, never heard of wiper sounds before, will you be spraying scale rain onto the layout to aid the sound effect ?  :whistle:

Best regards

Craig.

Hello Dougal, I love the van cover for the tank, ingenious,

I would be interested if you could put a video of your 129 with the sound on, never heard of wiper sounds before, will you be spraying scale rain onto the layout to aid the sound effect ? :whistle:

Best regards

Craig.

Dougal

There seems to be a pile of dead people on the platform in photo 2. Have they been overcome by fumes from the track cleaner?

John

Hello Craig, I can't take any credit for the Van cover, I shamelessly stole the idea from another contributor to RM web. He modelled in HO, but the idea is the same.

I will see if I can post a video, never done it before. I will see if I can figure it out.

John, they are not dead, just resting for now, until the platform receives some sort of paving stones / Tarmac or similar.

Dougal.

• 2 weeks later...

It has been a few weeks since I last posted an update.

post-18380-0-32541300-1463042904_thumb.jpeg

My 08 has now been repainted into BR Blue. The interior has been painted and a driver added.

I was delighted to find that a light had been fitted into the cab which for some reason is set for F7.

The weathering has only just started- bit of rust, bit of roof grime and a dirt wash so far. More to come when I find where I have put my compressor.

I have numbered her 08040 as this number was not used in service.

Next, the 129. I also added the driver and tidied up the wiring after the sound decoder was fitted.

She runs really well now and has been pressed into regular service at Four Candles.

post-18380-0-76057500-1463042917_thumb.jpeg

Here is my work desk, 4 Presflows are being built as a batch build. They are JLRT kits and the first I have tried. So far the build is going well.

I plan to have a short rake of 5 of these (I have a brass one already) to for a colourful Blue circle cement train.

post-18380-0-94566300-1463042927_thumb.jpeg

Dougal.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Two weeks and I have built and painted the Presflo's- I have yet to add the dangley pipes and some brake fitting, oh and I haven't applied the weathing power yet.

They match my M&M model really well and boy are they heavy!

post-18380-0-30644900-1463935627_thumb.jpeg

All 5 of the Presflo's

post-18380-0-24259700-1463935613_thumb.jpeg

The model on the right is the M&M version

post-18380-0-38961500-1463935844_thumb.jpeg

Close up of the other two.

The only slight changes made were to add the boards for the sides and I swapped the buffers and couplings for ready made versions.

Dougal.

• Like 7

Two weeks and I have built and painted the Presflo's- I have yet to add the dangley pipes and some brake fitting, oh and I haven't applied the weathing power yet.

They match my M&M model really well and boy are they heavy!

attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

All 5 of the Presflo's

attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

The model on the right is the M&M version

attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

Close up of the other two.

The only slight changes made were to add the boards for the sides and I swapped the buffers and couplings for ready made versions.

Dougal.

They make a very good sho you kno.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hello, been a while since my last post so time for an update on the old layout.

post-18380-0-73687700-1465026916_thumb.jpegpost-18380-0-58581200-1465026905_thumb.jpeg

Once I finished the Presflo's I decided to make a start on painting my collection of kettles.

Here is my Peckett now in BR black and placed on passenger services. The mark 1 is a detailed Lima model I previously painted in Blue and grey. I decided that whilst running in 70's mode I will use my DMU's, so the coach was excess to requirements.

In the second photo you can see my Terriers. I plan to paint the mustard one in BR black. Currently I can't bring myself to repaint the Southern Livered Terrier.

post-18380-0-59569800-1465026877_thumb.jpegpost-18380-0-46586800-1465026892_thumb.jpegpost-18380-0-60178200-1465026963_thumb.jpeg

I have reworked and updated the left hand side of the goods shed. I decided to add a coal facility as this justified having a weigh bridge. I moved the wood closer to the goods shed and I have added a small stream. The coal is just crushed charcoal, easy to break and it looks like coal to me.

The basic ground cover is done, but still loads of detail needed including static grass, a few smaller trees, woodsmen and a tiny bridge. I particularly like the Forrest floor covering, this needs more work yet, but the texture and colour are great.

I will probably work on the engine shed soon. It needs painting and glazing and the doors need fixing too.post-18380-0-10414100-1465026953_thumb.jpeg

The goods shed needs more work.

post-18380-0-71427500-1465026929_thumb.jpegpost-18380-0-46275100-1465026940_thumb.jpeg

I am happier with the entrance now. I have loads of crates to paint to add, once I have acquired a few Lorries to pose at the entrance.

Finally, this is a view behind the weigh bridge. I have a dirt road already done. Lots of detail needed here including some sort of fence.

post-18380-0-80678700-1465026975_thumb.jpeg

Dougal.

• Like 5

Whilst I was away at the Bath and west show today, this arrived.

post-18380-0-57878200-1465059901_thumb.jpeg

I have had a bit of bother finding Lorries for my layout. As I will operate various eras from the 1950's to the 1980's I need several different types to ensure the road vehicles are reasonably accurate for the time frame.

Looking on 'feebay' the cost of Dinky 1:43 Lorries is often pretty stupid and some turn out not to be 1:43 scale.

This lorry kit is by Phoenix models, it depicts a 1930 Thornycroft 4 Ton lorry. I will be using it for my coal duties.

I will be using it for the 1950's, assuming that austerity measures led to keeping 20 year old Lorries running. Hopefully not too much of a stretch of modellers licence.

I know the prototype has been painted in GWR cream and chocolate and that many were sold to private industry.

Does anyone know if these Lorries ever received a coat of blood and custard?

Many thanks,

Dougal.

The lorry is now built and undercoated. I will fit the doors once I have painted the interior.

The first Terrier is now wearing a lovely coat of black.

Whilst I have been looking for suitable Lorries on the tinternet, I stumbled across this lovely car and pickernick set.post-18380-0-00670600-1465406590_thumb.jpeg

I am a bit disappointed that the pickernick rug is cast in the base, but I think I can work around that.

All I need to do now is work out where I position this little diorama on the layout.

(Must see if I can purchase a 1:43 bear in a hat that is 'smarter than the average bear')

Dougal.

• Like 2

All I need to do now is work out where I position this little diorama on the layout.

(Must see if I can purchase a 1:43 bear in a hat that is 'smarter than the average bear')

Dougal.

Might be a bit big but assuming the skirting is about 70mm this looks as close as you're likely to get!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Yogi-bear-figures-/201596261508?hash=item2ef012d484:g:uZsAAOSwn1RXIvqm

Peter