Teshendo motor problems

geoffa

I have just installed a Teshendo WB 26-6 motor into a EFE Bakerloo 1938 tube stock.
I have been experiencing running problems The motor runs sort of OK when not in the tube stock but needs a gentle nudge to start every now and again, once installed in the loco the operation is very erratic. It always needs a nudge to start. I have experimented with different weights but this does not seem to make a lot of difference. I have cleaned the track and the wheels thoroughly. It does not happen on just one motor I have three of them.
Has anyone else had this sort of problem with this motor type?
Should I change to another type can you recommend one?
GeoffA

• RMweb Premium

I had a similar problem with Tenshodos on EFE tube stock for a customer. Since then I've used Black Beetle motor bogies, very much smoother running and reliable. They are available in a variety of WBs and they also do unpowered ones with pickups, pinpoint or non pinpoint axles. Like Tenshodos they come with a fixing system. Widely available but not cheap.

I had a similar problem with Tenshodos on EFE tube stock for a customer. Since then I've used Black Beetle motor bogies, very much smoother running and reliable. They are available in a variety of WBs and they also do unpowered ones with pickups, pinpoint or non pinpoint axles. Like Tenshodos they come with a fixing system. Widely available but not cheap.

Hi Roger

Thanks for your advice. The Teshendo motors were quite expensive. Will the Black Beetle motor be OK on DCC with an appropriate decoder, can you get to the terminals easily to make the connections?

Regards

GeoffA

• RMweb Premium

Hi Phil

Yes I have replaced the other wheel sets. Was this a good or bad thing to do?

The EFE models are intended for static display and the original wheelsets are not suitable for a working model so yes replacing them is a good idea. But make sure that due to the tight clearances the wheels do not catch on anything or bind.

I have just installed a Teshendo WB 26-6 motor into a EFE Bakerloo 1938 tube stock.

I have been experiencing running problems The motor runs sort of OK when not in the tube stock but needs a gentle nudge to start every now and again, once installed in the loco the operation is very erratic. It always needs a nudge to start. I have experimented with different weights but this does not seem to make a lot of difference. I have cleaned the track and the wheels thoroughly. It does not happen on just one motor I have three of them.

Has anyone else had this sort of problem with this motor type?

Should I change to another type can you recommend one?

GeoffA

I have used quite a few Tenshodos in tram related projects and older units had an issue with the axle gear. It is force fitted over a roughed up surface sometimes causing the gear to split. Being very small, the split causes the gear to be oval, resulting in jerky running and sticking where the worm grabs the split. New gear sets are available and I understand the later ones are made of a stronger plastic. I would still smoothe off the axle, slide on the new gear to dead centre and apply a very small amount of superglue either side of the gear, VERY carefully! 

I have even regauged the units with 2mm sliver steel rodding, using different sized wheels from Romford wagon or coach sets. They worked perfectly.

Good luck with with your project.

Tod  

Archived