Class 59 in 00

No Decorum

1 hour ago, John M Upton said:

Most of the Dapol stock I buy usually requires a near complete respray out of the box lately, their livery errors are one of the few constants from them.

All of my 73's needed paint of one form or another, not to mention etched parts and decals, along with extra pickups. But these were all acquired cheaply, none at RRP, even the single new one I bought

For me its a part of it, its railway modelling, not railway collecting

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, Alan Oliver said:

Hopefully one of the new kids on the block will have been reading this thread and decide to produce a more accurate representation of a 59 in half the time, or even better are producing one in secret and have been for years.

7 hours ago, njee20 said:

Zero chance of that I'd say. Dapol have suddenly rejuvenated their N gauge 59 once Revolution announced one, I'm interested to see how that plays out. At this advanced stage I can't see there's room for another OO gauge one without it being a huge commercial risk.

Based on how this Dapol model has turned out, I'd happily wait on Revolution to upscale their N 59 to 4mm. I think they would come up with a better end result. In that sense, Dapol have lost out. I could same the same with Heljan as well, if an 'upstart' producer did a better 45, though I have a feeling Bachmann may be doing something with that, at least for N, and with the way they keep quiet these days, may also redo their 4mm model.

Edit: of course, I'd forgotten that Rapido are doing an N 44/45/46, so maybe they could upscale that to 4mm? I think Rapido take getting the shape right seriously. One can only hope...

Edited by Ian J.
  • Like 2

I just carnt see anybody bothering with another 59 in OO limited amount of locos and mostly confined to one area of the country, so limited sale potential. Its not a 37/47/25 that got all over the country with 100s produced and a long life span.

The Dapol looks good, is it just the exaust silencer and the front air dam people dont like?

Have a look at the Heljan peak thread, people seem reasonably happy with them apart from some hard core peak enthusiasts.

• Agree 5

• RMweb Premium

To announce one at this point thought that would be ballsy though, given the Dapol one will have been on the market for a year or so, even if someone very quickly brought one to market. 

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, e30ftw said:

I just carnt see anybody bothering with another 59 in OO limited amount of locos and mostly confined to one area of the country, so limited sale potential. Its not a 37/47/25 that got all over the country with 100s produced and a long life span.

The Dapol looks good, is it just the exaust silencer and the front air dam people dont like?

Have a look at the Heljan peak thread, people seem reasonably happy with them apart from some hard core peak enthusiasts.

The 59’s have got around a bit, 59005 was on stilts in Leeds for some years.

59/2s got around yorkshire, and ive seen them various places off piste.

59003 has moved around a bit too, seen a picture of it also on stilts at Eastleigh waiting for wheels since its Salisbury incident. I wonder who gets to foot that bill.. 1 year out of service.

Edited by adb968008
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, adb968008 said:

The 59’s have got around a bit, 59005 was on stilts in Leeds for some years.

59/2s got around yorkshire, and ive seen them various places off piste.

59003 has moved around a bit too, seen a picture of it also on stilts at Eastleigh waiting for wheels since its Salisbury incident. I wonder who gets to foot that bill.. 1 year out of service.

Could be end game for it also as since GBRF got 59003 its not done much of what they were bought new to do and trying to tug a crash apart probably says that,you dont use your mint classic car to go banger racing.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Ian J. said:

Bearing in mind that Revolution and Dapol are doing a 59 in N, I think there's scope for a 'battle' in OO...

It's a battle I don't think Revolutions would be interested in looking at topics on their page. Plus at £136 for Dcc ready could they beat that price.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
16 hours ago, ERIC ALLTORQUE said:

Could be end game for it also as since GBRF got 59003 its not done much of what they were bought new to do and trying to tug a crash apart probably says that,you dont use your mint classic car to go banger racing.

Its quite definitely coming back…

http://www.carlswatson.com/Trains/Galleries 2022/G202208/20220809ArlingtonEastleighWorks/eastleighworks9thaugust20227.html

were GBRF hired to clear the wreckage ? Or was 59003 hired by another party ? I couldn't imagine sending a loco to be trashed clearing wreckage as part of a contract, so i’d lean towards an insurance claim myself, unless someone knows differently ?

Agreed though its been fairly wasted with GBRF, its done a lot of LE miles between Tonbridge, Eastleigh and Westbury. That said class 69’s have had a bit of an Armchair squadron feel so far.

But if its job is special duty grunt, and the damage at Salisbury was a claim, then its probably earned its keep.

i’m surprised its not been much around my way, GBRF does has a few stone operations in South London, to Purley.

Edited by adb968008

• RMweb Premium
14 hours ago, adb968008 said:

Excellent news, and a sight to behold at Eastleigh.  What I would like to know is when it will be out and about.

What I would also like to see is someone from Dapol, demonstrating customer management, and making the effort to communicate with their customers - as to just when their 59s will be available.  "Dapol Customer Relations, are you out there ??"

Edited by 70000 Britannia
spelling

• RMweb Gold
30 minutes ago, 70000 Britannia said:

What I would also like to see is someone from Dapol, demonstrating customer management, and making the effort to communicate with their customers - as to just when their 59s will be available.  "Dapol Customer Relations, are you out there ??"

Be fair on Dapol… i’m clueless on when..

Bachmann Turbostar

KR Anything

SLW class 24/1 and class 25

Hornby.. well enough said

Heljan 02/47

There are literally dozens of OO toolings outstanding, and only a few factories in China, and they are servicing other countries demands too… Some Roco/Piko is 2 years late.

Given where our economy is heading, and how price is shifting will there be enough people still in a position to buy it all ? China dragging it all out over a year or two might not be the worst thing.

Edited by adb968008
  • Agree 3

17 minutes ago, 70000 Britannia said:

They used to be on here, but quickly tired of the 'disgusted of tunbridge wells' brigade whose whole life existence was threatened by the little things that were wrong and easily resolved, such as colour issues and wonky pickups. Their own Dapol Digest forum is quiet. Making models is their main business

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

I don't think that is fair to Dapol.

I have asked this very question and the answer was quite clear cut.

They are a small company and they cannot divert any of their employees' time to engaging with social media. 

It is not a simple arena to work within successfully and we all remember the recently lampooned 'announcements about an imminent announcement' from another company upon these very pages

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, adb968008 said:

Be fair on Dapol… i’m clueless on when..

Bachmann Turbostar

KR Anything

SLW class 24/1 and class 25

Hornby.. well enough said

Heljan 02/47

There are literally dozens of OO toolings outstanding, and only a few factories in China, and they are servicing other countries demands too… Some Roco/Piko is 2 years late.

Given where our economy is heading, and how price is shifting will there be enough people still in a position to buy it all ? China dragging it all out over a year or two might not be the worst thing.

Looks like it’s all on you then.

• Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, 70000 Britannia said:

Excellent news, and a sight to behold at Eastleigh.  What I would like to know is when it will be out and about.

3 hours ago, LaGrange said:

They used to be on here, but quickly tired of the 'disgusted of tunbridge wells' brigade whose whole life existence was threatened by the little things that were wrong and easily resolved, such as colour issues and wonky pickups. Their own Dapol Digest forum is quiet. Making models is their main business

@Ben Dapol was on another Dapol thread about 2 weeks ago.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Ajax50046 said:

I see the options are to have either smoke generator fitted or sound - to anyone in the know, should I take this as being they’re mutually exclusive? 

Hattons offer DCC compatible or DCC+Smoke. I think that the DCCS version might be via Dapol direct ?

I intend to add my sound separately.   Personally, I would like to see a "thrusting" smoke exhaust example first, before going there.

On 20/10/2022 at 21:29, 70000 Britannia said:

Personally, I would like to see a "thrusting" smoke exhaust example first, before going there.

You wont, look up videos of the ESU Euro66 on youtube. Like something off the classic 80's Thomas series........

• Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, LaGrange said:

You wont, look up videos of the ESU Euro66 on youtube. Like something off the classic 80's Thomas series........

Wow, that is nothing short of impressive.... for something that appears to aspire to being a slowly smouldering, mobile, cigarette holder.

Just what I feared could be an outcome.

Removed svg file
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, brittannia said:

ESU `s Diesels are excellent having lots of different sounds etc squealing on curves, on early models they also gave a large bottle for the smoke, but have seemingly stopped that, also they are heavy models,

It's not just ESU that make heavy models.

The ESU 66 is quoted as being 590g

The Hornby 67 is 645g (!), a Hornby 60 is 670g and a Hattons 66 is 750g

The Dapol 68 and Accurscale d*lt*c are also up there.

So I'm going to assume - yes , I know that's dangerous - but I would expect the Dapol 59 to tip the scales towards the heavyweight end.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

39 minutes ago, brittannia said:

ESU `s Diesels are excellent having lots of different sounds etc squealing on curves, on early models they also gave a large bottle for the smoke, but have seemingly stopped that, also they are heavy models,

Glad it impressed you.  Personally I felt totally ambivalent towards it, mostly because the sounds are not represented correctly.  The driver of a diesel locomotive advances the power controller to obtain movement and once the loco is travelling at the speed the driver is comfortable with they normally ease the controller right down or close it beyond the "on" position to the "off" position.  Certainly moving around depots yards and stations 20mph would be generous and the loco would be coasting at idle much of the time.  That loco whining around at a constant noise might impress some, but inot to others 

The smoke effect just looks silly and toylike in my view 

Edited by Covkid
  • Like 3