shanks522

Hello all,

I've taken the plunge and started building the new layout so thought a new thread was in order.

The layout will be based somewhere around the Midlands WCML and is purely fictitious, I'l be taking inspiration from various locations and hopefully incorporate them all together.

The whole thing is going to be around 14/16 ft long and about 2'6'' wide, It will break down into four sections for ease of storage/transport, I want to build this purely for exhibiting so I'm going to fully automate the fiddle yard to make operating simpler.

One thing i will be doing is leaving the helix visible, (not on the layout itself) but i shall build a perspex casing around it as most people find it interesting at shows.

This will be the shape of the boards, two straight and two curved (about 12 degrees), Blue hidden, orange visible scenic section.

post-6774-0-05843600-1442860015.png

This is a rough trackplan i'l be working to, The layout will run on both DC and DCC.

post-6774-0-62323400-1443876755_thumb.png

Cheers

Graham.

• Like 10

I thought from the layout name and your forum name this was going to be Liverpool based.

Hi Stubby,

I choose Stanley Park as i have family ties with Liverpool, I was originally going to do the layout around the North West but it limits some of the trains i want so the Midlands is a compromise.

cheers

Graham.

• Like 2

Hello all,

Just to show i've made a start here's a quick snap from the garage, I have built the two curved boards and the helix.

I'm a little undecided but may build another two curved boards instead of straight ones as i think it might look better having the whole layout on a gentle curve?

post-6774-0-97702700-1444497556_thumb.jpg

cheers

Graham

• Like 4

I'd go for curved boards - visually quite pleasing and when looking around our eyes naturally follow an arc - plus it just makes a change.

Going by Smithdown and Aylestone I'm keeping an eye on Stanley Park :)

I like the track plan - was there a planning thread somewhere that I missed?

Edited by Southernboy
  • Like 1

I'd go for curved boards - visually quite pleasing and when looking around our eyes naturally follow an arc - plus it just makes a change.

Going by Smithdown and Aylestone I'm keeping an eye on Stanley Park :)

I like the track plan - was there a planning thread somewhere that I missed?

Hi Mark,

I think your right about an arc, i want to make the layout as visually attractive for the public as i can.

I did start a planning topic a few weeks ago but then i decided to just get on with it so changed to a layout thread.

cheers

Graham.

Would calling it Stanley Green give a more Midlands sounding name without removing all reference to your roots?

You could be onto something there woodenhead, Stanley Green has a nice ring to it.

cheers

Graham.

Hi shanks ,I like the idea of the curved baseboards and the idea if the name Stanley green .

The boards look nicely built

Brian

Edited by bri.s
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi Graham,

A propos of nothing, my neighbour's name is Stanley Dwight - and he is from Liverpool.

But Stanley Dwight doesn't sound very Midlandsish to me!

Of course, given one of the central features of your plan you could always go for Stanley Bridge... 

cheers

Ben A.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Another thumbs-up for the gentle arc across all boards, Graham, especially following the lines of the first boards you've built. That curve invites the viewer in. I made a layout a while back where the curved front edge was opposite to yours and it actually seemed like it was pushing the viewer away from the layout. It could all be nonsense, but I think you get what I mean.

post-17811-0-35380100-1445357792.jpg

• Like 2

Hello all,

Thanks for all the comments, Looks like another two curved boards shall be built! 

Also the name, Stanley Green or Stanley bridge, I like both so i may flip a coin.

I haven't done much lately as work is manic, the Helix is done and track laid, just need to test it with some stock before continuing. 

cheers

Graham.

Hallo,

Q: What's in a Name? A: a lot.

I do not feel that Stanley Green sounds Midlands enough, so not knowing where you have "placed" the layout within the West Midlands (with or without OHLE, urban or suburban)  may I be cheeky enough to suggest the following?

Adderley Green

Saltley Park

Navigation Bridge

Stretchford Road

es grüßt

pc

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hello all,

Thank you for all for the idea's of name's, I'm still undecided but Stanley Bridge is currently a favourite.

I've had hardly any time to work on the layout but this evening quickly set up the 1st board and took a short video of a six coach HST climbing the helix.

Also i picked up a pair of the new curved setrack points to test, they seem really good and will be a great space saver in the fiddle yards.

post-6774-0-86036700-1446668372_thumb.jpg

cheers

Graham.

Edited by shanks522
  • Like 10