Hornby Announce Peckett W4 0-4-0ST

WD0-6-0

OH SAM WHAT A LITTLE BEAUTY!

Never a truer word spoken.

My H&P model turned up this afternoon from Collet Models Exeter. Excellent Price and top quality service as always from them so a BIG THANK YOU for getting it to me this side of Christmas. Extremely pleased with this stunning little loco. Hornby really have outdone themselves with this. Just had it running on Some very dirty code100 track with 3 boxvans to try it so havent run it in yet but so far so smooth!

Cheers and Happy Christmas Hornby

Trailrage

Edited by TRAILRAGE
  • Like 1

At last an order gone through Hattons. for Dodo and the MSC, the gift one was meant to be the H&P, but no news on that one, so another loco must be found to give as the present due to be given this Christmas.

As it looks like the steam domes come off easily, I think a turned brass or bronze dome would be best for Dodo, along with the chimney top on both, really very little else to do on either, bar some auto couplings, which I am thinking would be best as Kadee knuckles, and some crew of course. The plates can be changed to brass as well.

Stephen

To me, it looks as though they've mined pretty much all the major / popular classes that there are to mine. So what other things might be usefully rendered as models?

GWR Broad Gauge...complete with track and points of course.

Edited by brian777999

• RMweb Premium

Folk will be wanting suitable rolling stock to go with the Huntley & Palmers Peckett. In my earlier post I pointed out that the Bachmann version of H&P wagon No. 21 was inauthentic, the model being an RCH standard 7-plank wagon whereas the real No. 21 was a Gloucester 10T 6-plank wagon of 1908. The former Slaters kit 4035 is spot on for this if you can get hold of it and POWsides do the transfers (#349) though the kit they offer is for a 7-plank wagon. Presumably No. 21 was one of a batch of several.

There is a splendid photo on the Reading Museum Huntley & Palmers Collection website showing a train in H&P’s sidings behind engines A & B. Behind the engines we have: H&P wagons Nos. 10, 2? (obscured by shunter’s pole!), 1, and 6; MR 3-plank dropside wagon (pre-D305); W. H. Bowater Coal & Coke Merchant, Birmingham (?) 5-plank wagon No. 33 or 35?; another MR pre-D305 3-plank dropside wagon; MR 5-plank wagon (D299 – there’s one in every photo…); Stephenson Clarke 6-plank wagon No. 2168, Stephenson Clarke 7-plank wagon No. 24?? with dumb buffers, almost certainly a third Stephenson Clarke wagon also with dumb buffers; two more H&P wagons with single-digit numbers; an open wagon with curved ends and metal channel solebars – could be GW? – and a rather early-looking 4-wheel GW brake van.

All the H&P wagons have 4 planks. No. 1 and the two wagons near the end of the train are dumb-buffered with straight ends. There’s a 5 and 9 models kit (are these still available?) that could be adapted by straightening the curved end top plank. The other three H&P wagons have sprung buffers, curved ends and iron or steel channel solebars and headstocks. Cambrian kit  C53 might be a starting point for this, with a steel underframe. (The underframe in the kit is Cambrian’s standard Gloucester underframe anyway.) All these wagons have single-side brakes.

The load appears to be rather large lumps of coal neatly stacked - although this has been disputed!

The website gives the photo a date of around 1920 but I feel this must be wrong – the presence of dumb-buffered wagons and the double-armed slotted-post signal on the GWR main line in the background point to a much earlier date – perhaps it was taken to show off H&P locos A and B when they were new? 1890s?

Edited by Compound2632
  • Like 1

GWR Broad Gauge...complete with track and points of course.

But it's not just Broad Gauge to be yet covered, but almost anything Victorian! there must be hundreds of designs not modelled, plus industrial locos, but the Listowel and Ballybunnion Monorail would be about as likely as Broad Gauge!

At last an order gone through Hattons. for Dodo and the MSC, the gift one was meant to be the H&P, but no news on that one, so another loco must be found to give as the present due to be given this Christmas.

As it looks like the steam domes come off easily, I think a turned brass or bronze dome would be best for Dodo, along with the chimney top on both, really very little else to do on either, bar some auto couplings, which I am thinking would be best as Kadee knuckles, and some crew of course. The plates can be changed to brass as well.

Stephen

I'm very surprised at this, Hattons had full stock of H&P variants on the 20th. Infact when I contacted them to see when it would come in stock (at that very moment a rep told me the website was updated and it was). They had "more than 10 in stock". As I didn't have an account yet, I proceeded to make one. 10 mins later all the stock was sold out.

In a bid to find out, I contacted them today and I was told that Hornby provided them with the correct amount ordered and most was sold to those who pre-ordered. Maybe you should contact them rather than going after Hornby as you have been doing. They haven't stated anything relating to getting lesser than expected.

Edited by MGR Hooper!

• RMweb Gold

industrial layout that will fit nicely in his wife's alcove.

P

Must say I am slightly concerned by this and have quite a disturbing mental picture.......

Rob

Saw the sample at Warley and fell in love.....

Didn't expect to be able to order one last Monday as I thought they would all have been spoken for but managed to order with Kernow.  Not bought from them before but loco delivered today, so pleased.

Change of subject:  Hamblings used to market a broadly similar looking loco they called the Gnat.  Does anyone know if this was based upon a specific prototype?

• Like 1

The Gnat was basically a freelance design, based on a real loco it is said. The designer was working for Stewart Reidpath just before the war and the product was abandoned during the conflict. As Hamblings took over the Stewart Reidpath items into their range the moulds were found at Herne Bay and the loco was put into production with an Essar Mechanism, and later after Essar /SR closed completely, a Romford motored version was made till about 1958/9.

Most had brass wheels with spokes, later ones had Romford Wheels. It was very plain, with little detail, but very heavy as it was cast from lead. the roof was plain brass or card. A Caledonian loco was mentioned as a prototype, but Mr Howard the owner of Hamblings said it was freelance.

In good condition with a motor running correctly it would pull several Pecketts backwards!! But as a rival in detail it is nowhere in the same room.....

post-6750-0-97992800-1482347130.jpg

It was however about the first 00 loco made outside the toy makers.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

My H & P arrived today from the Kernow emporium, so I have taken the opportunity for a quick snap on my work in progress Canute Road Quay layout where she must have been on loan to the docks.

. post-243-0-83317900-1482349117_thumb.jpg

• Like 18

My H & P arrived today from the Kernow emporium, so I have taken the opportunity for a quick snap on my work in progress Canute Road Quay layout where she must have been on loan to the docks.

. attachicon.gifIMG_0259.JPG

Got a feeling these locos are going to be loaned out to many odd places .They are brilliant models .I hear one made it to the SP in LA's industrial district  where its progress over code 83 Peco Insulfrog will be noted.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

34 H&P's in stock at Hereford Model Centre at £85!

Well recommended as they test and certify every loco - brilliant service!

No connection other than a very happy customer.

Just been there today and bought one myself

I am tempted, but it would have to be the MSC version. Would want to see how good they are a moving slowly across pointwork. Getting the models out befor Christmas is a very good marketing trick, as most will be appy to pay price, but wonder how competition will effect price after Christmas.

• Like 1