Hornby Announce Peckett W4 0-4-0ST

WD0-6-0

Unlike the Royal and Tilbury dock systems, I have so far found any views of PLA covered vans at India & Millwall. However Peckett 74 would have shunted another type of wagon around this system - the flats numbered in the 3000 series. These were used for sorting imported timber cargoes and comprised two kinds. The low flat ones like 3218 and 3392 illustrated here look medieval and some may have been rebuilt from the Millwall Dock Company's grain wagons. But it is the high ones which are worth constructing from Dapol 9' w/b wagon chassis. The photo of a train of these loaded, was taken in diesel days and brakes appeared to have been on one side only. I think that concluded as much detail I can give to help with the arrival of PLA 74.

post-22373-0-51263100-1530908006.jpg

post-22373-0-80421400-1530908036.jpg

post-22373-0-78126900-1530908069.jpg

post-22373-0-28902200-1530908101.jpg

• Like 6

My final comment on PLA railways is to thank those who responded to the data provided.   From this thread and that for the OR/GVH Janus, there were 24 individuals who kindly acknowledged.   If anyone wants more information and photos (or even to set up a PLA Railway Group) please email me direct.   Kind regards (and 'keep shunting') Colin.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

My final comment on PLA railways is to thank those who responded to the data provided.   From this thread and that for the OR/GVH Janus, there were 24 individuals who kindly acknowledged.   If anyone wants more information and photos (or even to set up a PLA Railway Group) please email me direct.   Kind regards (and 'keep shunting') Colin.

Colin, are you aware that there is a section of the forum already dedicated to discussions on the subject of model and prototype UK standard gauge railways?

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/forum/145-uk-standard-gauge-industrial-modelling/ Any PLA discussions would be most welcome there and would probably be better suited there than in yet another group.

• RMweb Gold

I see Hattons are offering (as of 11:35 today) two pre-owned Huntley and Palmer Pecketts for £130 each!

Eeep!

4 hours later, and it’s still there.

Is Peckettmania dead ?

I’ve got a bunch on Pre order, thinking it’s a better bet than the lottery.. I wonder if I should ditch my Peckett stock options and by Lloyds shares instead ?

:-)

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1

That's what one fetched on ebay a little while ago, and it was advertised as a poor runner.....

Yes, but if you're prepared to wait a bit now, you can get a new one and three wagons to go with it for only a little more than that. I suspect that may have dampened down the secondary market somewhat for that particular livery.

• RMweb Gold

Yes, but if you're prepared to wait a bit now, you can get a new one and three wagons to go with it for only a little more than that. I suspect that may have dampened down the secondary market somewhat for that particular livery.

Just what I was going to say!

£13 more to be precise....

• Like 1

Strangely considering the initial demand that caught out Hornby out, the new ones are being discounted despite demand and my supplier has notified a further decrease, which would normally indicate an expectation of sluggish sales, which are hardly likely with this popular locomotive. August was quoted but the date is as elastic as ever.

Stephen.

• Like 1

Strangely considering the initial demand that caught out Hornby out, the new ones are being discounted despite demand and my supplier has notified a further decrease, which would normally indicate an expectation of sluggish sales, which are hardly likely with this popular locomotive. August was quoted but the date is as elastic as ever.

Stephen.

I think at the time the realisation that the first batch  was likely to be in short supply inspired some otherwise quite irrational panic buying. At the time I was intrigued by the number of people on this site confessing that they had not yet unboxed theirs, which hardly argues for commitment.

I bought one because I had wanted one for years and love it to bits, and there are obviously a great many others on this site who feel the same way, but I can't hel[ feeling that the "Peckett mania" created a false impression of the genuine level of interest

• RMweb Gold

Strangely considering the initial demand that caught out Hornby out, the new ones are being discounted despite demand and my supplier has notified a further decrease, which would normally indicate an expectation of sluggish sales, which are hardly likely with this popular locomotive. August was quoted but the date is as elastic as ever.

Stephen.

It’s possible (totally speculation), that orders for the black one, off the back off the first three, were immense, but with the new production liveries announced, making a much larger batch of different liveries, a decision was made to reduce black ones to accommodate a more sensible size run across all liveries And reduce risk of swamping the market with black ones ?

Either way, I predict a riot, feeding frenzy followed by drought... I still think there’s more peckett hunters out there, than models to feed them. Black peckett is infinitely generic and so easy to adopt, the other liveries still have an interest but, the factory green ones are the ones I think may slow down.

Look at the Barclay, preorders ensured everyone has got one, and the 10 varieties none have yet sold out with probably enough to feed the market for a few years before some more. Hornby now have 9 different Pecketts announced, which is probably enough to feed everyone, even if there might be a few hungry periods between now and then.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I think at the time the realisation that the first batch  was likely to be in short supply inspired some otherwise quite irrational panic buying. At the time I was intrigued by the number of people on this site confessing that they had not yet unboxed theirs, which hardly argues for commitment.

I bought one because I had wanted one for years and love it to bits, and there are obviously a great many others on this site who feel the same way, but I can't hel[ feeling that the "Peckett mania" created a false impression of the genuine level of interest

Hello Stuart. I'm one of your 'intrigued' posters! It's fairly simple for me. I bought one of these because I was caught by the look & finish of the model. I didn't want a H&P model: I wanted (& bought) the plain green version. It's destined to work on my as-yet-unbuilt colliery model. I might buy another Peckett, but certainly not any of the proposed releases. In the meantime, I'll be content to view the model through the plastic. I know it's safe, and when I'm ready, it'll be ready.

Cheers,

Ian.

• RMweb Gold

Just to note, the two Hattons had have now gone, so £130 seems "commercially acceptable" for an H&P, even though by waiting its possible to get the train pack for the same loco plus 3 H&P branded wagons for £13 more.  As a comparison, Lilleshall @ £99 should be out in the wild soon (if you pre-ordered it), the wagons to accompany it are £15 each.

I think I might have to increase the insurance valuation on my little Peckett!  :jester:

(It seems that £99 is the new price bracket for 0-4-0 and small 0-6-0 locos.  Even the Hornby Jinty is edging its way up...)

Just to note, the two Hattons had have now gone, so £130 seems "commercially acceptable" for an H&P, even though by waiting its possible to get the train pack for the same loco plus 3 H&P branded wagons for £13 more.  As a comparison, Lilleshall @ £99 should be out in the wild soon (if you pre-ordered it), the wagons to accompany it are £15 each.

I think I might have to increase the insurance valuation on my little Peckett!  :jester:

(It seems that £99 is the new price bracket for 0-4-0 and small 0-6-0 locos.  Even the Hornby Jinty is edging its way up...)

I think I paid much less than £130 for the train pack as a pre order. It's still available for under £130 if you look around.

I must admit mine hasn't been used much. I don't have a suitable layout for it as yet. It doesn't really suit running on the loft layout as that's just a large oval built for large trains (soon to be ripped up and started anew).

Jason

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

It’s possible (totally speculation), that orders for the black one, off the back off the first three, were immense, but with the new production liveries announced, making a much larger batch of different liveries, a decision was made to reduce black ones to accommodate a more sensible size run across all liveries And reduce risk of swamping the market with black ones ?

Either way, I predict a riot, feeding frenzy followed by drought... I still think there’s more peckett hunters out there, than models to feed them. Black peckett is infinitely generic and so easy to adopt, the other liveries still have an interest but, the factory green ones are the ones I think may slow down.

Look at the Barclay, preorders ensured everyone has got one, and the 10 varieties none have yet sold out with probably enough to feed the market for a few years before some more. Hornby now have 9 different Pecketts announced, which is probably enough to feed everyone, even if there might be a few hungry periods between now and then.

Black's an easy repaint.

I didn't pre-order as I haven't yet decided if I want another but if I do and can't get one I'll just get whichever other one is cheapest and respray it.

John

• Like 1

I see Hattons are offering (as of 11:35 today) two pre-owned Huntley and Palmer Pecketts for £130 each!

Eeep!

One of them must be my old one. Bought it November last year from Rails for £179,50. Unfortunately it arrived with the whistle on top of the cab missing. I can be quite a perfectionist, so it annoyed me and I kept on searching for a pristine one.

I found a pristine one on eBay in December, which I bought for £155.

Last week I accidentally found one on the TMC webshop, weathered and footplate crew fitted for less than £180. They build in a DCC sound decoder (sound files from Mr Soundguy) for me. Never thought I would pay £320 for such a small loco. But that made me sell my first Huntley & Palmers.

Unfortunately I don't have a layout to give my engines a go (I'm just collecting), but one of my colleagues is building one (lucky me) :imsohappy:  It should be ready for operation by the end of this year. I'm really curious how it runs and sounds :senile:

• Like 1

Hello Stuart. I'm one of your 'intrigued' posters! It's fairly simple for me. I bought one of these because I was caught by the look & finish of the model. I didn't want a H&P model: I wanted (& bought) the plain green version. It's destined to work on my as-yet-unbuilt colliery model. I might buy another Peckett, but certainly not any of the proposed releases. In the meantime, I'll be content to view the model through the plastic. I know it's safe, and when I'm ready, it'll be ready.

Cheers,

Ian.

Ah but you have a plan. I was thinking more of those who just had to get one but didn't know what to do with it when they did.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Black's an easy repaint.

I didn't pre-order as I haven't yet decided if I want another but if I do and can't get one I'll just get whichever other one is cheapest and respray it.

John

True enough, let me be your gift horse....

The cheapest peckett ive seen just happens to be black.. £69 from Derails... (shameless plug for one of my favourite shops).

http://www.derails.co.uk/index.php?route=product/product&filter_name=Peckett&product_id=1022

(I’ve got 2 on order), At that price I don’t expect them to have many left for that much longer.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Ah but you have a plan. I was thinking more of those who just had to get one but didn't know what to do with it when they did.

In all honesty, I didn't have an 'actual' plan. I was hoping that the DJ Hudswell Clark would put in an appearance. The Hornby Peckett just got there first.Some of these little Pecketts appear to have been bought by 'chancers' with am eye on a profit. Some will succeed, some will be bitten. If there's a flood, oh dear.....

Cheers,

Ian.

Edited by tomparryharry
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

The cheapest peckett ive seen just happens to be black.. £69 from Derails... (shameless plug for one of my favourite shops).

http://www.derails.co.uk/index.php?route=product/product&filter_name=Peckett&product_id=1022

(I’ve got 2 on order), At that price I don’t expect them to have many left for that much longer.

Its been pre-order-sold-out at Hornby and most other online retailers for what seems eons now, at that price it would be churlish not to get one.  To be honest I had been thinking of getting a Lilleshall when it first came out but I thought I'd missed out with the usual suspects. I hadn't dug into Derails list and I hadn't noticed that they apparently still had them for pre-order.

Oh well, put in an order.  I'm fully expecting to get an email that the listing is a software glitch and they sold out ages ago too!

(Do you think it'll actually be delivered in July as Hornby claim?  :jester:)

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

(Do you think it'll actually be delivered in July as Hornby claim? :jester:)

According to the antipodean bullroarers’ communication signals, it’s been seen in shops for sale and in stock online in the land down under, so I guess there’s a strong chance it’s soon to arrive here. Edited by adb968008

According to the antipodean bullroarers’ communication signals, it’s been seen in shops for sale and in stock online in the land down under, so I guess there’s a strong chance it’s soon to arrive here.

Its nearly 2 weeks since first reports of the Pecketts arrival in Australia. I wonder how much longer it takes for a boat to reach British shores over the journey to Australia bearing in mind they will have to go through customs etc! anybody know?

Thinking further on I wonder what the cost would be to buy it online from down under and have it sent by air to here? comparison

Edited by johnd
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Thanks, you made my mind up!

Just placed an order - so I hope too many others haven't beat me to it.....

John

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

R3550 was still listed this morning by Derails as available.  I've just had a look now and its marked as SOLD OUT - SORRY!

So we're either going to get refunds or we managed to scrape under the bar.....

Fingers crossed!

(Its like Schrodingers Cat, I daren't email Derails to find out if my order was successful, just in case it collapses the probability matrix in the wrong direction...)

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

R3550 was still listed this morning by Derails as available. I've just had a look now and its marked as SOLD OUT - SORRY!

So we're either going to get refunds or we managed to scrape under the bar.....

Fingers crossed!

(Its like Schrodingers Cat, I daren't email Derails to find out if my order was successful, just in case it collapses the probability matrix in the wrong direction...)

Given they read through this forum, I suggest that cat has already had its say ;-)

Roy