Hornby Announce Peckett W4 0-4-0ST

WD0-6-0

I am glad that Hornby are trying their best to catch up with the demand, with the Black Peckett in September, but what about the original sell out ones repeats, or do they simply want to disregard sales demand? Spare Chassis are not available for other projects etc, and all this leaves is a curious air of disappointment due  to the shortages. Hornby are recovering financially from a desperate situation, and I hope the lack of stock is planned and not as it seems a sales miss judgement as to what the buying public want.

The Peckett is an obvious multi buy loco, it is run by most modellers without to much fidelity to the real industrial situations, and even with price increases remains an affordable loco that is very good quality.

But Hornby have to improve delivery and offer choices and make sure there is longer term shop stock for sale. A lot of shops never received any from the first batches, lost sales now..........

Stephen.

• RMweb Gold

I am glad that Hornby are trying their best to catch up with the demand,

Give them a chance. I would expect reruns of the first three locos to become available in 2018 or 2019.

As Stephen said, they seem to be a "multi-buy" locomotive. I know I fell in love with them and now have the third one on its way to me even now.

Narrow Planet have done reasonably well out of me too, as I ordered suitable name, number and works plates for my three and DougN's one as well, plus some extras for my "industrial" 57XX pannier tank and Hornby Sentinel diesel. Yes, I have caught the bug to create a fictional industrial scene!

• Like 2

Give them a chance. I would expect reruns of the first three locos to become available in 2018 or 2019.

A chance, they have already taken years to ordered them to this standard and a wait till 2019? Does nobody understand demand and supply any more? If Hoover marketed Vacuum cleaners in this way, people would never get involved with the brand, but we have no choice, we have to wait, the market is too limited for rival makers....perhaps?

• RMweb Gold

What you're talking about is fine if Hornby can get as many production slots as they need with their manufacturers. But things aren't like that, and so any reruns will have to be fitted in with all the other production that those factories are committed to.

It is possible that Hornby could slip in some extra releases during the year; they have certainly trickled out surprise announcements and "leaks" during the last few years. We'll just have to wait and see.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I am glad that Hornby are trying their best to catch up with the demand, with the Black Peckett in September, but what about the original sell out ones repeats, or do they simply want to disregard sales demand? Spare Chassis are not available for other projects etc, and all this leaves is a curious air of disappointment due to the shortages. Hornby are recovering financially from a desperate situation, and I hope the lack of stock is planned and not as it seems a sales miss judgement as to what the buying public want.

The Peckett is an obvious multi buy loco, it is run by most modellers without to much fidelity to the real industrial situations, and even with price increases remains an affordable loco that is very good quality.

But Hornby have to improve delivery and offer choices and make sure there is longer term shop stock for sale. A lot of shops never received any from the first batches, lost sales now..........

Stephen.

Just how many times are you going to raise this? You have already complained numerous times and had the same replies regarding production slots etc. Over producing got Hornby in a mess. You seem to be wanting them to have over ordered once again, long before the popularity was know.

Time to let it rest and see what they do?

Roy

• Like 1

A chance, they have already taken years to ordered them to this standard and a wait till 2019? Does nobody understand demand and supply any more? If Hoover marketed Vacuum cleaners in this way, people would never get involved with the brand, but we have no choice, we have to wait, the market is too limited for rival makers....perhaps?

Its a toy train man, get over it! The way you're going on you would think Hornby are withholding a cure for cancer

• Like 2

What you're talking about is fine if Hornby can get as many production slots as they need with their manufacturers. But things aren't like that, and so any reruns will have to be fitted in with all the other production that those factories are committed to.

You really have to understand how China works. Having dealt with them over several years and visited once- these factories churn out thousands of products a day for many customers worldwide. If your order is for$50000 and you are promised a production slot- then someone else comes along with an order for $60,000 then guess who gets the slot? Only when a container is booked on to a ship can you be reasonably confident that its on its way- provided there isn't a fire!!

Steve

Its a toy train man, get over it! The way you're going on you would think Hornby are withholding a cure for cancer

We had heard often enough that railway modellers’ average age is very high. This sounds like sensible diversification to me. There’s bound to be a demand. :D

Back on track, if Hornby does a re-run, how many will be sold? Have enough people been disappointed to justify, say, another 2,000? I think that Hornby is very sensibly producing a different livery. That way, they’ll be sold to those who lost out first time round and to people who just cannot resist another. I speak as one who would snap up a Dodo if there were to be a re-run.

We had heard often enough that railway modellers’ average age is very high. This sounds like sensible diversification to me. There’s bound to be a demand. :D

Back on track, if Hornby does a re-run, how many will be sold? Have enough people been disappointed to justify, say, another 2,000? I think that Hornby is very sensibly producing a different livery. That way, they’ll be sold to those who lost out first time round and to people who just cannot resist another. I speak as one who would snap up a Dodo if there were to be a re-run.

I don't see a re-run. Hornby have explicitly ruled that out.

Dodo is as dead as a Dodo and the biscuit has been taken.

However... I can very easily see other leaf green Peckett works liveried locos by another name or none, and would hope to see more late liveried ones [the fake MSC one] coming out 

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

and would hope to see more late liveried ones [the fake MSC one] coming out

I'm still not convinced it is fake, My mother grew up to Naylors Yard at Warrington on the MSC and remembers several grotty locos of different colours but has no idea what make they were.

We know MSC locos worked into that yard at times from photos.

I'm still not convinced it is fake, My mother grew up to Naylors Yard at Warrington on the MSC and remembers several grotty locos of different colours but has no idea what make they were.

We know MSC locos worked into that yard at times from photos.

Ah, that's the point. No.11 may well have been painted in a lined forest green at some point, after all a lot of other Pecketts were, but it appears that the MSC didn't actually have a uniform livery, but appeared in various different colours. I refer to it as fake because Hornby themselves admitted they used their imagination working off a black and white photie, which ironically [judging by the tanks in the background] may have been taken after the MSC sold it on to Esso.

As it happens I would very much like to see a future Peckett or two in this livery, which seems to have been a common one, and hope that Hornby won't be inhibited from using it by their declaration that it is the MSC livery.

Edited by Caledonian

I do love the " explicitly ruled out" re-runs, is this the same brilliant people who are struggling with finances and understanding the market place? Perhaps the same brilliant experts at Hornby would perchance listen to the customers for once?

The truth is they lost sales, I for one was planning on a small fleet of the locos, but the brilliant experts at Hornby have decreed otherwise, they know better...leaving unhappy customers and shops who never got supplies.

Stephen

I do love the " explicitly ruled out" re-runs, is this the same brilliant people who are struggling with finances and understanding the market place? Perhaps the same brilliant experts at Hornby would perchance listen to the customers for once?

The truth is they lost sales, I for one was planning on a small fleet of the locos, but the brilliant experts at Hornby have decreed otherwise, they know better...leaving unhappy customers and shops who never got supplies.

Stephen

To be fair, I was pointing out that their explicitly ruling out a re-run of the initial three identities was not the same thing as not producing any more leaf green ones, and hopefully some more forest green ones as well but with different identities.

It is a little disappointing though that the next one will be an unaccompanied Henry Ford.

BTW is there any indication of the likely cost? I do remember dark rumours of a likely price increase on the next batch.

• RMweb Gold

There have been at least two direct responses from Hornby on here saying they have no intention to rerun the original models at this time ;)

Doesn't mean they can't change their mind if you write nicely to them like a couple of us have already ;)

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

What is a batch quantity for Hornby? The issue may be that x00 people want a Dodo*, y00 wants a Peckett to convert and Hornby are left with z,000 that nobody wants. Yes, those that want a Dodo are disappointed, but Hornby may know that the sums just don't add up. To reply to Stephen that Hornby are losing sales, that may be, but if those sales are not profitable for them, they sure won't give a flying whatnot.

As I said earlier, time to move on...

Roy

*Insert name of other Peckett that sold out.

At our small exhibition, we know we have to balance satisfying all who use our catering with the risk of making a loss if we have left over stock.

The key rule being we cannot lose money if we sell out, we can lose money if we don't. We normally sell out, the best items first then the rest.

I'd be happy for more Peckett in either green livery. Totally not bothered if they have same name / number or not. Equally,I am buying the black one too.

The same applied to the Sentinel diesel of which I now have 6 in various colours from several production batches.

• Like 1

Stephen

Unless your 'small fleet' that you were planning is almost the same size as the minimum number that Hornby have to make for a re-run, Hornby risk being left with unsold stock which will not earn them money whilst it sits on a shelf. Lets say the original run was 2000 models. And 2001 people wanted one. The problem is, when an item sells out, it only takes that one person ringing 50 model shops to enquire about availability, and those shops to contact Hornby, for Hornby to think that there is a market for 50 more locomotives to be sold - which there isn't. Far better that they produce a different 2000 models next year and again sell all 2000, then a re-run of 500 which only sells 1 to the original person who missed out, plus say 100 for others who buy one late, leaving them with 399 which sit around unsold.

• RMweb Gold

I am glad that Hornby are trying their best to catch up with the demand, with the Black Peckett in September, but what about the original sell out ones repeats, or do they simply want to disregard sales demand? Spare Chassis are not available for other projects etc, and all this leaves is a curious air of disappointment due  to the shortages. Hornby are recovering financially from a desperate situation, and I hope the lack of stock is planned and not as it seems a sales miss judgement as to what the buying public want.

Stephen.

Stephen

I think its time to move on now. These effectively sold out four months ago.

Continuously moaning because the boat was missed achieves nothing.

Rob.

What is a batch quantity for Hornby? The issue may be that x00 people want a Dodo*, y00 wants a Peckett to convert and Hornby are left with z,000 that nobody wants. Yes, those that want a Dodo are disappointed, but Hornby may know that the sums just don't add up. To reply to Stephen that Hornby are losing sales, that may be, but if those sales are not profitable for them, they sure won't give a flying whatnot.

As I said earlier, time to move on...

Roy

I agree. How many people have actually set their hearts on having a Dodo as opposed to those who simply want a leaf green 'un

• RMweb Gold

And despite all the gnashing of teeth a little patience meant I found Dodo and a second H&P a couple of months back, only one above £100. They will turn up if you watch the stands at shows and eBay poor listings ;)

• RMweb Premium

For what it's worth, I think Hornby would be mad to simply re-run the previous three. Additional runs of the same liveries but with different identities is of course a suitable solution. However, I hope they will wait until after they've done 'George Jennings'...