Hornby Announce Peckett W4 0-4-0ST

WD0-6-0

• RMweb Gold

A colour view of George....

Not sure about the red used above especially on the chimney....methinks it might be rusty as opposed to the colour of the wheel etc..

post-14122-0-91062900-1489965721_thumb.jpg

Edited by nhy581
  • Like 5

• RMweb Gold

A colour view of George....

Not sure about the red used above....methinks it might be rusty as opposed to the colour of the wheel etc..

I agree, Rob. The scenery on that layout is very nice, but I think the red used is too bright/garish as compared with your colour photo above.

Not wow. I'm not at all convinced by the sound on this one.

Fair enough. I think of the remark made once by a late friend, “The remarkable thing is not that it is done well but that it is done at all.” These locos are tiny!

Just out of curiousity, what did you think of the video of George Jennings?

• RMweb Gold

Fair enough. I think of the remark made once by a late friend, “The remarkable thing is not that it is done well but that it is done at all.” These locos are tiny!

Just out of curiousity, what did you think of the video of George Jennings?

Do you mean an opinion of the video, or of the sound on the loco in the video?

The sound on that one is much better, in my personal opinion. I think that one is the sound that was done by Paul Chetter, originally for the Minerva O gauge Peckett class E, and available from Digitrains.

So the whistle broke off :/ However I remembered I have 2 spare whistles from the Hornby Thomas, quite small, so what I did was put a track pin to widen the whole and placed the whistle in its place. Fits really well, and doesn't look out of place at all!

post-27037-0-78421000-1490035911_thumb.jpg

post-27037-0-15296400-1490035925_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

Do you mean an opinion of the video, or of the sound on the loco in the video?

The sound on that one is much better, in my personal opinion. I think that one is the sound that was done by Paul Chetter, originally for the Minerva O gauge Peckett class E, and available from Digitrains.

[i must read what I’ve keyed before I post it.] The sound of the loco – that was the one I “wowed” about.

I have finally managed to buy an example of Dodo, which is the version I really wanted. Not sure if this is permissible but I am willing to sell my MSC No11 if anyone is interested. PM me I will sell at the price I payed for for it.

Now having Dodo I am even more impressed with the livery and detailing of these models as wel as the slow running capabilities. I can't wait for Lilleshall No 10 to arrive as I now have an idea to built a small Lilleshall Co based. Shunting layout.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Will you be scratch building them ?

Slow progress but in response to that Bachmann RCH 1923 standard 12 ton 7-plank wagon masquerading as a Gloucester Carriage & Wagon 10 ton 6-plank wagon of 1907, here's Huntley & Palmers wagon No.6, one of a batch of five built by the Birmingham Wagon Co. in 1889:

post-29416-0-36548300-1491145272_thumb.jpg

More details on my wagon-building thread.

Thanks again to wagonman for the prototype info.

• Like 10

• RMweb Gold

A question. Would a W4 normally be crewed by driver and fireman or just a driver or would it depend on the employer?

Cheers,

David

They wouldn't need a fireman in the way a main line engine, or even a railway company shunting loco would but because one man couldn't really be expected to be driver fireman and shunter a second crew member would be needed and would do the job of fireman and shunter even on small systems with reliatively light duties.

• RMweb Premium

From my brief experience driving A1X 662 Martello back in 2009, I think a fireman is pretty much an essential. They don't just shovel coal, they also keep an eye on various other aspects of the steam locomotive's state, freeing up the driver to keep an eye on signals and keep the train moving at the right speed according to the line's requirements. I'd imagine the same is probably true of a private yard system, but perhaps with not quite so much need for the driver's attention to be on the signals and 'knowing the road'.

Edited by Ian J.

I have two examples of Dodo that I'd like to give replacement identities to, and although I don't have a specific year in mind for the firm that'll own them to have ordered them, I'd like to give them two of the unused numbers that I understand Peckett sometimes left out of their works number sequence to give the impression that they built more locos than they actually did. Short of asking the NRM whether I can arrange to go and look at the company's records, which I believe they have, does anybody know where I might be able to come across a complete list of Peckett locos to find a suitable pair of numbers please?

• RMweb Premium

Can anyone tell me please if the first three Peckets, Dodo,  Huntly and Palmers and MSC,  were all completely sold out?     I originally had an order in last year with 

MR Direct but had to cancel it when I got made redundant before Xmas.   Now that I have been employed again I'd like to try and obtain one.  (Not keen on the new version).

Unfortunately I just can't pop down to the local Model shop as I happen to live in New Zealand.   Anyone know of any retailers who might have one of  Huntley and Palmers or

Dodo that can do mail order?   Even second hand would be fine as long as they run OK.  Cheers.

Gordie: I suspect I got the last Huntley & Palmers and Dodo in Australia, and DougN got the last MSC, at least, for those available online.

Metro Hobbies here in Melbourne had the H & P and MSC ones, but after Doug and I purchased ours from them, the website shop went to "not in stock" and "pre-order" only for both. 

I then scored Dodo from Mighty Ape (mightyape.com.au), price-matched to Metro Hobbies, but that, too has gone to "out of stock" status.

I wish you luck in getting one; you never know what stock lurks on the shelves of the smaller, out of the way model shops, or when a local modeller has a change of direction/change of heart and sells their unused models bought earlier on a whim. eBay prices seem to go a bit silly, but it is still probably worth checking there. Try typing in a few mistakes - people listing these things don't always get it right.

:)

Edited by SRman