Hornby Announce Peckett W4 0-4-0ST

WD0-6-0

Is it possible that the Pecketts shunted vans within the exchange sidings, whilst the 'fireless' loco dealt with those areas of the system where smoke would not have been allowed? 

Flour was probably brought in by both road and rail (possibly even by canal- where's the Kennett and Avon in relation to the works?). Much would have been of local origin, as high-gluten, imported, flour isn't required for most biscuits. There's a lot of cereal growing nearby.

The fireless locos replaced the Pecketts and were found all over the factory network, including the GWR sidings alongside Napier Road.

A branch of the K&A canal passes through the middle of the factory site (now between Homebase and the Prudential). If you look closely at the retaining wall on the Homebase side, some bricked-up windows from the factory buildings can be made out.

Edit, re. Fat Controller's post: my focus is the pre-Great War period. The Bagnall fireless locos arrived in 1932. Perhaps they took over from horses in the parts of the factory live engines weren't allowed to go, or maybe somebody did a risk assessment - or there was an accident...

I haven't come across any reports of an accident on the site, but yes, the Bagnalls were able to go into parts of the factory conventional steam locos couldn't reach. They also had lower operating costs as only one member of loco crew was required rather than two.

That NCB one does look nice. 

DougN and I have collared a couple of reasonably priced examples locally: I ordered the Huntley & Palmers one, Doug the MSC one, both at a shade under $AUS150 (less than £75) each. It looks like we got the last ones as they were marked for pre-orders after we bought them.

Incidentally, there are some very nicely weathered examples in the other Peckett topic; I will be using some of those for my inspirations when I get round to weathering mine.

Edited by SRman
  • Like 1

SRman is right we seem to have snaffled the last couple from this retailer. I was very surprised after the message on Friday from SRman that a friend of his had purchased his from the same retailer. I am still very surprised that these became available as I thought we had seen the Australian consignment been and gone! So to have this small selection available resulted in quick action on SRman and myself's quick to purchase. It is likely that we will both have the loco's tomorrow.

I wonder if the little loco will manage 18 wagons around my layout! The same way SRmans S15 did...

Edited by DougN
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I wonder if the little loco will manage 18 wagons around my layout! The same way SRmans S15 did...

Last Saturday, my Huntley & Palmers Peckett hauled 35 PO wagons plus a brake van from a standing start in the sidings and thence around the layout with no problems :)

What a little beauty!!!

Cheers

Darius

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Last Saturday, my Huntley & Palmers Peckett hauled 35 PO wagons plus a brake van from a standing start in the sidings and thence around the layout with no problems :)

What a little beauty!!!

Cheers

Darius

Doesn't surprise me, I've just had mine pulling 6 Hornby Staniers, a 12 wheel diner, and a couple of CCTs without straining. Before you ask, it is vacuum and steam heated fitted....

https://www.facebook.com/tim.hall.146/videos/1058426577594923/

• RMweb Gold

Doesn't surprise me, I've just had mine pulling 6 Hornby Staniers, a 12 wheel diner, and a couple of CCTs without straining. Before you ask, it is vacuum and steam heated fitted....

I wonder what the haulage would've of been if the powers that be had left the flywheel in...

Very nice and impressive. If the little Peckett were not so brightly coloured, those coaches would look as if they were self-propelled.

• Like 2

Well, tonight I pulled the MSC Peckett apart and installed a Dcc concepts nano chip. All direct wired and removed the capacitor which did create some more room inside the body shell. The loco does run rather nicely after 10 minutes in either direction with a few wagons in tow. The reason I stopped it is kept stalling in the tunnel in the centre of my layout which was rather annoying. I need to get right in there and clean the track properly... so this is where I called it a night! All rather pleased with the running and look of the loco.... as this little loco is basically the latest loco to be purchased along with a Q6 the 2 do make quite a contrasting sight of big and small and it is encouraging me to finally finish off my Bradwell Q6 so I can have the other strange pairing I have of it with my BlackHawthorn from high level models...again big and little together!

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I do hope that Hornby are planning another run soon, these little beauties flew off the shelves i would have loved to get one but could not, the little one with no 11 on the saddle is a nice looking loco

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Is that why the team's gone for a right Burton?

Paul

Jaundiced somewhat unamused Burtonian issues correction.The location is situated near the village of Rangemore.The only connection it has with local team Burton Albion is that they share the same catering outfit......which is very good indeed.

For those geographically disadvantaged,Lilleshall is in the next county,which is Shropshire.

My Peckett arrived today, and boy was it a long week.

It is heavier than I thought, compared to the Hornby Sentinel's weight its much better! 

One 'problem' is the whistle, just getting it out of the box and have bent it. Its not fully off, but at the stage of if I move it the plastic gets weaker. The Hornby pocket rockets have metal whistles and this doesn't?! Do hope there are replacement whistles somewhere *hint hint*.

post-27037-0-38436000-1488572515_thumb.jpg

post-27037-0-14833000-1488572410_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

It is heavier than I thought, compared to the Hornby Sentinel's weight its much better! 

One 'problem' is the whistle, just getting it out of the box and have bent it. Its not fully off, but at the stage of if I move it the plastic gets weaker. The Hornby pocket rockets have metal whistles and this doesn't?! Do hope there are replacement whistles somewhere *hint hint*.

attachicon.gifDSC_0860.JPG

attachicon.gifDSC_0861.JPG

VERY carefully, bend it back upright.

Then, apply the TINIEST spot of superglue to the area of weakness using the point of a pin.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

IIRC Markits do a fair selection of whistles in turned brass, one of which might suit.

Catalogue download available from www.markits.com

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 1

I have actually managed to dislodge and lose the whistle from mine, while messing around fitting a  decoder. The hole in the cab roof is clean, so it hasn't actually been broken off. 

For the time being, I have fitted half a turned brass Bulleid whistle, until I can either find the original (on the workbench or in the carpet somewhere!), or get something better.

I have uploaded a short video to YouTube of mine running on DCC. I have posted the same link on my layout topic too, so if you view it here, there's no need to download it a second time there.

Edited by SRman
  • Like 5

I think it is the new method Hornby is using to make sure the collectors value is truely 'never left box' condition as removing them from the box bends the whistle!

Mine managed to get its whistle bent at some stage therefore I am leaving it in the bent position!

• Like 3

I think it is the new method Hornby is using to make sure the collectors value is truely 'never left box' condition as removing them from the box bends the whistle!

Mine managed to get its whistle bent at some stage therefore I am leaving it in the bent position!

Similar problem with a supporting bracket on a Trout which got bent while changing the coupling. Nothing suitable to replace it, so stabilised it with a bit of superglue and it now runs with an in-service bent bracket, just like some of the real ones I know

• Like 2