Hornby Announce Peckett W4 0-4-0ST

WD0-6-0

Thankfully my episode of Hermes parcel hurling did not damage its contents - very nearly damaged me though as I fell over the parcel on an unlit patch between the house and shed. Is the Peckett fatefully damaged - looks from the photo that it looks more like the cab rear and brake column have simply detached cleanly.

• RMweb Gold

Perhaps the way forward is to contact the shops that you ordered the items from and inform them that due to the manner in which your order was delivered, you will not be ordering from the shop again.

If enough people did this then you would expect the shop to heed it's customers and switch courier......

I would have been rather annoyed if my order had turned up damaged. Bad enough to return and get a replacement but these are not two a penny at the moment. What if no replacement was available and you had missed out....

Put quite simply, Hermes seem to be a right bunch of tossers if their modus operandi is to be taken at face value.......

Rob.

Edited by nhy581

• RMweb Gold

Yes, short of Yodel, Hermes are the most appalling failures in home deliveries. The real problem is, of course, that the benighted drivers have schedules to meet, and have to take short cuts to enable them to meet their times. Often 1 minute per delivery 'slot'.

It's a problem, especially when it's a 'rare' item not easily replaced, but if it's only the brake column you should be able to reglue it in the correct place. A 'faff' l know, but at least you have one of the best locos Hornby have ever (IMHO) made!

One of my friends has worked as a private delivery courier for both of them and others. He says Hermes are the worst he has worked for.

When I worked in an office above an estate agent shop, Hermes used to leave parcels in the foyer which opened onto the street and not even ring the bell. Once it was over £10k worth of computer equipment.

Roy

• RMweb Premium

Isle of Man post carefully delivered mine today, leaving it safely in the back porch, undamaged.

It's every bit as good as folk say, and is better and smaller in the flesh than the photos lead one to believe.

Now we want a 14" Barclay.  With the correct wheels please.

• Like 3

Yes, short of Yodel, Hermes are the most appalling failures in home deliveries.  The real problem is, of course, that the benighted drivers have schedules to meet, and have to take short cuts to enable them to meet their times.  Often 1 minute per delivery 'slot'.  

It's a problem, especially when it's a 'rare' item not easily replaced, but if it's only the brake column you should be able to reglue it in the correct place.  A 'faff' l know, but at least you have one of the best locos Hornby have ever (IMHO) made!

Your right, I guess my driver decided that he didn't have time to drop with a neighbour so thought it was faster and easier to just throw it over the gate! £80 worth of loco left out in the elements all day. Ah well... I'm getting some money back in compensation from them and it's all fixed now so I suppose all isn't so bad!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Piecework delivery agents.....

One delivery last year ended up in a wheeliebin, that was due to be emptied the next day.  The bin was on the other side of a locked gate and the idiot reached through, flipped the lid up and dropped the parcel in.

Luckily I put a bag of rubbish in whilst it was still light before putting the bin out for collection that evening and saw it, otherwise the parcel would have gone straight to landfill.

No card through the door either.

Just received a notification that my, 'Jane' and 'James' name plates and the 'works' plates are ready for processing by Narrow Planet.  

Excellent service considering the inundation of requests they must have had for Peckett works and name plates over the Christmas period!

• Like 3

Just received a notification that my, 'Jane' and 'James' name plates and the 'works' plates are ready for processing by Narrow Planet.  

Excellent service considering the inundation of requests they must have had for Peckett works and name plates over the Christmas period!

Yes, he's had 10 sets from me, and that's only part of my intended fleet! (Not all Pecketts though). 

• Like 2

One thing I've noticed, partly as a result of having someone drive while I watched, is that the Peckett tries to "crab" a little as it starts off.  This is making it stall from time to time before it gets chance to pick up momentum- not helped by there being no Stay-alive.

Is there an easy way of opening the back-to-back by half a millimetre or so, or am I going to have to permanently couple a white metal coal cart tender to it to keep it honest?

Les

One thing I've noticed, partly as a result of having someone drive while I watched, is that the Peckett tries to "crab" a little as it starts off.  This is making it stall from time to time before it gets chance to pick up momentum- not helped by there being no Stay-alive.

Is there an easy way of opening the back-to-back by half a millimetre or so, or am I going to have to permanently couple a white metal coal cart tender to it to keep it honest?

Les

Not had this problem at all with mine - a far better performer than the L&Y pug. Given the amount of die-casting I wouldn't have though hanging some extra weight on the back was an answer.

You could use a wheel / gear puller along with a set of Vernier callipers.

If you do widen the back to back you may have to tweak the pick-ups. 

Also check how much side play the wheels have on your tightest curves and points.

Gordon A

Edited by Gordon A

An extended running session with all three Pecketts moving a very long train of Bachmann 16 ton mineral wagons. These diminutive locomotives handle these with total ease; just two were actually enough to move this long train without slipping and a single Peckett can handle 30 on its own.

What sort of camera have you mounted on the trains ? The view as it goes over the points is wonderful.

• RMweb Gold

Isle of Man post carefully delivered mine today, leaving it safely in the back porch, undamaged.

It's every bit as good as folk say, and is better and smaller in the flesh than the photos lead one to believe.

Now we want a 14" Barclay.  With the correct wheels please.

Describe correct wheels please. There are at least 2 types of spoke. one is close to an 'H' section, with a later style being a solid spoke. Cylinders? Parallel, or inclined?

Just a few teasers for you. Luckily, most of the AB drawings still exist, in Glasgow University Archive. Read the bundles books first......

Ian

• RMweb Premium

Anyone looking for either H&P or MSC versions might like to try Dutfields at Chelmsford, I was in the shop this morning and they have 1 of each on the shelf; they are of course happy to do mail order.

That's just a placeholder.

If you set up a page then it needs a value putting in the price section. So you just put in a price that no one would expect to pay.

All those books on Amazon aren't really £999.99. Just that they haven't got any current stock. But they are expecting some in the future.

Jason

I have a project in mind...

A = 05.85mm
B = 10.92mm
C = 18.60mm
D = 19.75mm
E = 22.00mm
F = 25.50mm

D+E+F = 67.25mm

All dimensions approximate as the wheelsets are out receiving attention at the moment.

P

(Phew! That posted. PC playing up at the moment.)
Edited by Porcy Mane

Les

Don't forget that a model steam engine is  not in balance due to the quartering, and that tends to drag a bit on one side or the other as it starts. A real loco with steam has even power strokes, but in the model the weight of the rods and drag from the pistons is not balanced.

Add in the short wheel base and it tends to waddle more than the real loco.

By all means check the back to back, but do not increase it, it just causes trouble over points.(14.5mm) max

The crab and waddle are best reduced with thin washers on the axles, they need no side play at all, bar running clearance, but this does mean removal of the wheels and bearings.

However there is another way, and if the play to be reduced is suitable, then use fine fuse wire, in a loop down each side of the chassis under the axle and back up, secure with dabs of epoxy out of sight at the chassis top, other fine wire may fit the gap, or you could use a thin shim with a notch for the axle to do the same job as the wire. make sure either way clears the pickups.

It at the least will show if a complete strip is needed for full new washers. It should improve it quite a bit, but the wheel base is very short and some crabbing and waddle may remain. It was after all part and parcel of the real thing in motion.

Stephen