Hornby Announce Peckett W4 0-4-0ST

WD0-6-0

• RMweb Gold

I predict the Black Peckett will be a sell out too, indeed even if they made a few extra black ones than normal they will still sell as some will buy more than 1...(i'm figuring out how many I want).

to quote a childrens story... Pecketts are a really useful engine, especially in Black.

good choice, glad they didn't go for a re-run and I suspect they will have a tail wind forming for a 2018 release too.

Edited by adb968008

• RMweb Premium

Sounds like the fable of the three Pecketts.

Hey little Peckett let me come in

Not by hair on my Chim chimeny rim

These Hornby Pecketts do seem to be taking on a life all of their own. Has Hornby created a monster?

If it's a profitable monster, more power to their collective elbows!!!!!

Not my work, so I can't claim the glory for this but here is a Peckett that has gone under the knife to make it rather more industrial.  Replaced buffer beam, cut back smokebox wings, changed handrails, cut down chimney and new dome.

Plus, a good dose of muck to truely make it feel as if it has worked hard for the last 40 years.............

attachicon.gif20170102_232656 compress.jpg

Work by a mate, you can see a bit more about what he has done in his blog here https://otcm.wordpress.com/2017/01/02/filthy-dirty-grubby-meet-the-model-of-2016-the-peckett-is-finished/

I love this,; I'm certain the WPR never had any, theirs being more Barclay turf, but this is fantastic and shouts Fife coalfield to me.  Beautiful work.

Edited by 'CHARD
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

One new livery in 2017 isn't a shock, considering how late in the year the 2016 Peckett's arrived - stock sitting in a warehouse not being sold is bad business, the big H have (hopefully) learnt that.

I think the Peckett's took Hornby by surprise as to how successful/popular they've been. Reading between the lines there could well be another run announced - it's happened before after all.

Remember when the modified light Pacifics come out. They completely sold out in a matter of weeks. And Hornby announced they were adding another 4 to the range in a matter of months. So them announcing another run of different liveried peckett's is not beyond the realm of impossibilities.

Big james

Edited by Big James

• RMweb Gold

Remember when the modified light Pacifics come out. They completely sold out in a matter of weeks. And Hornby announced they were adding another 4 to the range in a matter of months. So them announcing another run of different liveried peckett's is not beyond the realm of impossibilities.

Big james

Don't remind me, I ended up with over 60 of them....

• RMweb Gold

Big james

True, but I fortunately don't buy any Bulleids in Malachite green other than cheap s/h ones for spares/repainting (I dislike it almost as much as LNER Apple green) so I only have the two new Rebuilts to finance this year.

Like you, I wouldn't be at all surprised to see further Pecketts announced during the year.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling

• RMweb Gold

That's eased my conscience a bit that's nearly double what I've got........... :jester:

John

Having had 128 (including Air-Smoothed) across my workbench over the last 6 years, am I going to throw my Peckett out of the pram over more Malachite Green ones - I think not ;)

Edited by toboldlygo

• RMweb Premium

I've just been testing my Peckett with my Pentroller, which I normally do prior to installing a decoder. After all the praise it has had here, I was at first dissappointed that it was somewhat jerky. Then, just out of interest, I tried one of the controller's coreless motor settings and the loco suddenly transformed into the smoothest running RTR I've ever bought!

Does it actually have a coreless motor, I wonder?

Edited by Kylestrome

• RMweb Premium

Your surmise is correct. I've not managed to find the dumb buffered wagons but they must have been 1-5 as 6-10 were bought new for cash from the Birmingham wagon co  in 1889 and they were 10-ton wagons with iron underframes and of course spring buffers. Then came 11-20, again new for cash from Brimingham, in April 1903 – as before but now the underframes are steel. So that means the Gloucester batch must have been 21-25. Presumably all registered by the GWR. My Birmingham records only cover rented wagons though many of them were later sold. Reading is a bit outside my territory – I'm presently working on Wiltshire with an addendum for Somerset as inevitably more info has come to light since the book was published. Ian Pope is working on Berkshire/Oxfordshire/Bucks I believe.

And a Huntley & Palmers wagon.

The Hornby 6-plank wagon (and the 4-plank) isn't such a very awful representation of an early 20th-century PO wagon - with quite a Gloucester-ish character, so long as one doesn't look at the brake gear. So thus far it's a more accurate model of a Huntley & Palmers wagon than the Bachmann version, even though the latter is a more accurate rendition of a 1923 RCH 7-plank wagon than the Hornby model is of a Gloucester 6-plank wagon. If you're still with me there, you'll be agreeing that it's a shame that the number (18) isn't in the range wagonman infers for the Gloucester batch but from the 1903 batch of Birmingham Wagon Co. 4-plank wagons with steel underframe - though maybe that's why the solebar is painted black. But maybe the picture on the Hornby website isn't of the production model... I think I'll still be looking for that elusive Slater's kit...

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

The real w/n 883 had an open-backed cab (it is shown as such in a photo by Aidan Fuller in the IRS Handbook G) but the picture on Hattons website appears to show the bulge in the cab backsheet for the brake handle, and a high-level lamp iron. So I guess they are doing it as an enclosed cab.

The dome looks right though and so this will be a third type of dome for these models.

Edited by Ruston
  • Like 1

A cautionary tale.

I went over to Sherwood Models today to pick up my pre-ordered "Dodo".

As I entered the shop- "I've got some bad news for you, Les".  On December 24th Ian had his invoice from Hornby for the consignment of Pecketts he ordered.  This usually arrives about two days after the goods.  No Pecketts have arrived.  

Ian contacted Hornby as soon as they reopened after the break - "definitely sent" plus courier details.  Courier has "lost" the parcel.  Hornby say there is no way Ian will get replacement Pecketts as they have none to send him.  Naturally this is one retailer that is not best pleased.  (Ditto his pre-order customers).

There MAY be a number of stolen Pecketts around.  Hopefully this isn't the case and the consignment will turn up......

All the very best

Les

Edited by Les1952

To add to the above.

I do find it totally unacceptable that Hornby have not kept enough spares back for dealer exchange or to cover for a smaller dealer's consignment going astray.

Hornby management and sales should be thoroughly ashamed of themselves if this is the case.

Les

Les it is better not to mention spares or dead on arrivals around me at the moment.

Hornby do need to arrange a better service spare parts system. I have had an issue with a J15 which had a issue with the tender and a short circuit. Ok I needed a tender underframe replaced and a few other bits. Well I didn't receive any assistance from Hornby via email so I rang them. ( I am in Australia so the calls are reasonable but still costly) which I was told to email.... no response.... rang again after another week again I got the oh we have the email and the original one it went into spam... but we can't help as we don't have any parts. I ended up buying another J15 as a replacement thankfully at the discounted rate... fast forward to yesterday. I found the new J15 which has been running nicely turned up with a short in a couple of places on the layout. Sat down and looked over every thing... found that the wire was bearded outside the plug to the tender so I guess this is shorting against something else! So long story short out of 2 j15's I have 1 running... I need the spares for the tender underframe and now a new wiring loom for the loco! Ok I may be able to fix the plug but why should I have too after about 6 months or so.

My next problem is my Q6 which has a motor that is over heating...drawing too much current through the dcc chip. It will behave with no body on but that is not the point. Again I would buy a spare motor if there was one available!

So long story short I have little faith in Hornby being able to keep things running. This is an aside to the loss of a consignment of stock for the shop above.

Any how I am waiting for the spares to become available from Peters spares et al so I can get every thing running properly again.

Ok some one can take my soap box and put it away for a while!

A cautionary tale.

I went over to Sherwood Models today to pick up my pre-ordered "Dodo".

As I entered the shop- "I've got some bad news for you, Les".  On December 24th Ian had his invoice from Hornby for the consignment of Pecketts he ordered.  This usually arrives about two days after the goods.  No Pecketts have arrived.  

Ian contacted Hornby as soon as they reopened after the break - "definitely sent" plus courier details.  Courier has "lost" the parcel.  Hornby say there is no way Ian will get replacement Pecketts as they have none to send him.  Naturally this is one retailer that is not best pleased.  (Ditto his pre-order customers).

There MAY be a number of stolen Pecketts around.  Hopefully this isn't the case and the consignment will turn up......

All the very best

Les

Sad situation due to the sell out, let's hope they are found and not heading for Ebay. It does seem from a talk to Hornby today that more of the originals will be planned, the black version is already in the pipeline, but the originals are at the end of a very long production queue they say they have no control over. The spares situation is as usual patchy one, with what the Chinese supply and Hornby order, a balance they have yet to get right, as again if spares are needed, they drop to the bottom of the lists of orders in China.

Second query from next post:-

On motors, away from the Peckett, others may fit, the motors that Hornby use are stock lines, and are not exclusive, except for some mountings, but there are ways around this.

If a particular loco draws too much current it is unlikely that it is the motor,it is nearly always the rest of the mechanism that causes bind or tightness in some way. A new motor is a standard design, they do not vary, machine assembled, so check the wheels axles, bottom covers, gears fit on shafts, de burr every surface and check all alignments, rods and valve gear, and pickups,  it all must move freely, not just turn, but turn silky smooth before blaming the motor, which will suffer terminal damage if overheating continues.

Such work should not really be needed if the factory tests them, but experience shows tests are crude run/no run tests, it does not assess the quality of the running etc. I do not know what motor you need precisely but I am sure other makes fit in most, maybe a good set of photos will identify a candidate with the same shaft etc.

Edited by bertiedog

<snipped>

My next problem is my Q6 which has a motor that is over heating...drawing too much current through the dcc chip. It will behave with no body on but that is not the point. Again I would buy a spare motor if there was one available!

<snipped>

Just a thought, Doug, but if you drop over with the Q6, we can stick it on the rolling road with my Power Cab and measure the current draw.

• RMweb Gold

The Hornby 6-plank wagon (and the 4-plank) isn't such a very awful representation of an early 20th-century PO wagon - with quite a Gloucester-ish character, so long as one doesn't look at the brake gear. So thus far it's a more accurate model of a Huntley & Palmers wagon than the Bachmann version.

Shame about the massive loop coupling still though when next to the Peckett, a retooled chassis to fit a NEM pocket and the slim coupling would make it a very decent wagon thanks to the quality of printing.

I think mine will have the couplings hacked off and replaced :)

My newly aquired 'Huntley and Palmers ' Peckett ' shunting on a foggy morning

with snow on the ground, and then once the fog had lifted.

All we need now is an A1X Terrier to this standard.

Thanks to Hereford Model Centre for their prompt service.

post-24481-0-59268300-1483605577.jpg

post-24481-0-17134200-1483605600.jpg

• Like 8

To add to the above.

I do find it totally unacceptable that Hornby have not kept enough spares back for dealer exchange or to cover for a smaller dealer's consignment going astray.

Hornby management and sales should be thoroughly ashamed of themselves if this is the case.

Les

Sorry to say this is not unusual. I had a similar situation with a 'sell out' Bachmann pre Christmas new release a couple of years ago. My retailer had no delivery of his C class orders from their initial run and it transpired his shipment was 'lost' between Barwell and the shop. Bachmann had no reserve stock, I managed, just before Christmas, to get a replacement just before they sold out. I suspect 'reserve' stock is only there if production minimum levels exceed orders. With the Peckett, retailers have almost certainly topped up their initial orders eating into any 'reserve'.

Edited by rembrow