Hornby Announce Peckett W4 0-4-0ST

WD0-6-0

Guest Midland Mole

Thank you Kernow, just managed to order a Huntley & Palmers version. Happy times! :D

- Alex

Edited by Midland Mole
  • Like 2

That's a lot of work to do to get from one to t'other. Wouldn't it be easier to do a scratchbuild?

80% of the body is done and the Peckett chassis (although a compromise for this) is a lovely runner; when I can find which box I stored it in I can check the fit but it shouldn't be too far out.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

80% of the body is done and the Peckett chassis (although a compromise for this) is a lovely runner; when I can find which box I stored it in I can check the fit but it shouldn't be too far out.

Should have started from that paint sample though, the only one that already had the coupling rod missing ;-)

Roy

Edited by Roy Langridge

My dad had a Ford Anglia too....bog-standard 2 door ( heater extra) reg,HB 9452( Merthyr Tyfil) circa 1957

Off Topic  again!       Ours  was  the  bog  standard  one  also,  Dad fitted  his  own  heater,  windscreen  washers  were unheard  of in  those  days  and  it  had  only  one  rear  light in the  centre of  the  boot  lid.

The  day  he  got  it  he collected  me  from sitting  my  11+ exam at  Burnage  Grammar  School ( Manchester)   ( I Passed!!),  there  were  just  2  cars outside  to collect pupils  one  my  dads  Anglia  and  the other  a  Ford  Consul  which disappointed me  a bit  as  I though his  may  have been  the  Consul

• Like 2

What a lovely little model! Had 18 wagons behind mine and it was Ok. 20 made it slip a little on the curves. Feels like it's a cast metal body - it's quite weighty for such a small engine. Means that the ideas we have for the Model Rail/Rapido J70 might just work. (CJL)

• Like 1

Lots of people saying how many carriages / wagons theirs can pull, but what is a prototypical load for one?

Quite a lot.

Footage of a similar size Peckett pulling a passenger train with ease. Taken from the film The Virgin And The Gypsy. Locomotive is 1999/1941 North Western Gas Board.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQl2nPyQ_LE

Jason

• RMweb Gold

Lots of people saying how many carriages / wagons theirs can pull, but what is a prototypical load for one?

Depended a lot on the business and the line itself. Anything from 4-5 on steeply graded lines like Foxfield Colliery to 12 or a few more on flat lines. In preservation I wouldn't expect it to manage more than a couple of coaches purely because of braking.

• RMweb Gold

Does anyone know if one was ever painted in a yellow livery?  Something like a Colman's PO wagon livery could look quite stunning.

Paint it whatever colour you want! Just look through the books in the Irwell Press Industrial Railways In Colour series and you'll find industrial locos in just about every colour and shade you can think of.

Well, I still haven't got my Peckett. Hornby must have the shop I ordered mine from at the bottom of the list to distribute them to.

• RMweb Gold

Biscuit just arrived, and it is good enough to eat :)

I can see new releases becoming addictive as these are just so, I can't bring myself to use the Sw... or c..e words ;)

post-6968-0-11884200-1482488321_thumb.jpg

Back to Andys sacrilege maybe I should amend it to Optimus P4 Grime?

I will not start another layout, repeat after me, oh why did I have to know about the tramway track?

Time to dig out more boxes of unused stock and sell sell sell ;)

Edited by PaulRhB
  • Like 2

Well I took Virginia to bed last night to have a really good look at her.

I am well impressed, this is one masterpiece of design that the design team at Hornby can be proud of.

The execution is superb, the paint finish and the black and white lining is incredibly fine. Running qualities are impeccable, super slow speed control and quite even with old feedback controllers.

Is this the best cab detail on a RTR model? But just as Andy said mind that whistle.

Img_3423.jpgscreen shot windows

• Like 12

Did these small industrial loco use a brake van when pulling a  rake of wagons ? What sort of brake van was it ?

In their industrial days? No, almost never. A few of the larger systems had brake vans but they were usually ex main like stock used as mess vans, breakdown vans, etc.

Those passed for running on the main lines would have a brake van on those occasions, but on their own, internal systems brake vans were rarely required.

My H&P version arrived yesterday from Hattons. Then came the confessional to swmbo , 'how much was that, do you really need it havent you got enough locos already, how many locos still on supposed pre-order' etc etc.

Having bought a Dapol O gauge 08 a few weeks a go and confessing about that  came the question 'are you changing scale again what scale is it 'N' gauge? No dear its oo   'Are you sure?  It looks like  N gauge to me, its so small, Your not changing gauge again are you? ' No dear!

• RMweb Gold

Well I took Virginia to bed last night to have a really good look at her.

I am well impressed, this is one masterpiece of design that the design team at Hornby can be proud of.

The execution is superb, the paint finish and the black and white lining is incredibly fine. Running qualities are impeccable, super slow speed control and quite even with old feedback controllers.

Is this the best cab detail on a RTR model? But just as Andy said mind that whistle.

Img_3423.jpgscreen shot windows

Sleeping with a train.... slightly disturbing.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

My H&P version arrived yesterday from Hattons. Then came the confessional to swmbo , 'how much was that, do you really need it havent you got enough locos already, how many locos still on supposed pre-order' etc etc.

Having bought a Dapol O gauge 08 a few weeks a go and confessing about that  came the question 'are you changing scale again what scale is it 'N' gauge? No dear its oo   'Are you sure?  It looks like  N gauge to me, its so small, Your not changing gauge again are you? ' No dear!

You aren't talking correctly to her.

"Don't you need another pair of shoes? or a handbag?"