Hornby Announce Peckett W4 0-4-0ST

WD0-6-0

• RMweb Gold

21st century Polly and Nellie. My 'must have' for under the Christmas tree with pre-Christmas arrival still likely.

Hornby_Peckett_Dodo_1.jpgHornby_Peckett_HP_1.jpg

Superb.

When Hornby tries its best, the results can be magnificent.

Hornby are to be congratulated.

Hornby deserves to be rewarded with strong sales of these locos, and, I believe, that will be the case.

This is one my hard-earned will certainly go on. 

Thanks to Andy Y and Ruggedpeak for posting.

• Like 1

Smashing models. These are screaming out for etched works and name plates.

Rob.

Hi Rob, probably a very good idea not just due to the increased realism but also because Hornby appear to add the worksplate rendition over the top of previous colour layers. And it is easily and quickly abraded from potential fingers in that prominent cabside position on the Peckett, Dodo. I watched a worksplate detail on a different, recent Hornby loco almost vanish with a little repeated handling recently.

The standard worksplate details bear up well under a magnifier in terms of legibility but they don't look like castings and they're certainly far more fragile!

Nick

• RMweb Gold

There's a bit of a price hike on the next batch, thanks to various external influences, for those who missed out on pre-ordering.......

I'm waiting for H&P (Christmas Eve, I ask you!) but I wish I'd put in a pre-order for Dodo too.

Oh well, that'll learn me!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

21st century Polly and Nellie. My 'must have' for under the Christmas tree with pre-Christmas arrival still likely.

Agreed, Mrs Stationmaster was duly introduced to your excellent pics and advised that my H&P Peckett ought to arrive at Alton before Christmas and will duly pay me for it - C---------s duly sorted ;)

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

For info I ordered 2 this morning on Kernow's website and it took the order. Hopefully I won't get a refund on Monday! Not sure I've seen a model sell out pre-order almost universally in recent years. I wonder if Hornby will have some on their website when they arrive.

21st century Polly and Nellie.

With respect, no. Polly and Nellie were designed as 'entry level' models, with the intention of getting as many people (primarily the young) into the hobby as possible. Beautiful models as they are, the Pecketts do not fall into that category.The Electrotren tank locos for sale on another stand at £59 (or £100 for 2) are closer to that category, though even they are twice as much as Smokey Joe/101. Had the Pecketts been offered at the same price as the Electrotrens I would certainly have put my name down for one (possibly two), as it is I am still wavering as to whether or not to buy one. 

• RMweb Gold

With respect, no. Polly and Nellie were designed as 'entry level' models, with the intention of getting as many people (primarily the young) into the hobby as possible. Beautiful models as they are, the Pecketts do not fall into that category.The Electrotren tank locos for sale on another stand at £59 (or £100 for 2) are closer to that category, though even they are twice as much as Smokey Joe/101. Had the Pecketts been offered at the same price as the Electrotrens I would certainly have put my name down for one (possibly two), as it is I am still wavering as to whether or not to buy one.

I can see the comparison that Il Duce, sorry Andy, is making here. Small but perfectly formed locos from Hornby are a bit of a tradition and it looks like the Peckett is to continue this in it's various forms.

As an aside, comparing the price of the Peckett to that of the Electrotren offering is not a good thing. The standard of the Peckett appears to be far and away superior to that of the 0.6.0T. As such, you gets what you pay for. If it's value for money you are after, stick with 'Smokey Joe'.

Rob

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

The whole point of these, surely, is that there is no comparison?  A small steam industrial prototype accurately modelled to a high standard is a new thing. That's what's so important about this release.  That and the fact that they're GORGEOUS, of course.  ,

• RMweb Premium

The question that screams out when I look at these is this - why has nobody ever done these before?! They're exquisite, both in terms of the real locomotive and the model produced by Hornby. These prove that the more prosaic and overlooked locomotives can have a visual and enthusiast appeal to match much more famous top link locomotives. These were an inspired choice by Hornby and they deserve to do very well out of them.

• RMweb Gold

The question that screams out when I look at these is this - why has nobody ever done these before?! They're exquisite, both in terms of the real locomotive and the model produced by Hornby. These prove that the more prosaic and overlooked locomotives can have a visual and enthusiast appeal to match much more famous top link locomotives. These were an inspired choice by Hornby and they deserve to do very well out of them.

I quite agree. 

If you think about the increased popularity of micros, including industrial settings.  If you think of the fact that small industrial locomotives cropped up fairly frequently on 7mm layouts.  If you think how many larger 4mm layouts incorporate lineside industries.  If you think about how often, for want of an alternative, those 9 L&Y pugs that were actually sold out of service by the LMS have been obliged to adopt the guise of private ownership.

The only surprise is that we did not have something of the sort sooner.  I am so glad that we do.  I hope we see more such models, including DJM's Hudswell Clarke (though I would have preferred a pre-WW1 version - the Pecketts go all the way back to the 1890s).

Edited by Edwardian
  • Like 6

I wholeheartedly agree with you but the proof of the pudding will be in the running (to mix my metaphors). So far we have seen the samples whizzing around a test track but not moving slowly. I know the real thing didn't creep around all the time but they did start and stop slowly. Let's hope Hornby got the gearing right.

Cheers,

David

Narrow Planet do them with choice of number and year.

https://narrowplanet.myshopify.com/collections/works-plate-styles/products/npp-205

Jason

Thanks for the information Jason.  I've ordered a pair of red backed plates for 'DODO' with JANE on so hopefully SWMBO will be converted, and a plate with works no. 562 and 1893 as the date.  With any luck they'll both arrive at the same time!

Edited by Adams442T

I have just purchased this via Ebay from a model shop in Perth WA!!!

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/371802700874?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

If they have it, it should be here next week...! I am not cancelling my UK pre-orders but this has come in just over Hornby's rrp.

They are also advertising the latest J50 (departmental) as well.

Cheers from Oz,

Peter C.

There's a bit of a price hike on the next batch, thanks to various external influences, for those who missed out on pre-ordering.......

I'm waiting for H&P (Christmas Eve, I ask you!) but I wish I'd put in a pre-order for Dodo too.

Oh well, that'll learn me!

You know, just because Hattons and Hornby have sold out, doesn't mean they won't be available elsewhere... 

:)

• Like 4

I wholeheartedly agree with you but the proof of the pudding will be in the running (to mix my metaphors). So far we have seen the samples whizzing around a test track but not moving slowly. I know the real thing didn't creep around all the time but they did start and stop slowly. Let's hope Hornby got the gearing right.

Cheers,

David

I could have written that myself. Cheers!

I absolutely love these new Peckett's, so much so that I'm very much contemplating preordering the blue version with Rails of Sheffield. However can I just clear something up please? From this photo you can see the lining on the boxes are blurred out. Was this on the actual model or is this photo digitally edited?

post-19436-0-79438000-1480524555_thumb.png

Edited by Nelson Jackson

I cannot possibly justify a blue locomotive based in Reading, so must not buy one!  

I cannot possibly justify a blue locomotive based in Reading, so must not buy one!  

[Repeat until convinced]

Well done, Hornby, well done!

• Like 2

[Repeat until convinced]

Beware of Oscar Wilde when it comes to some things; "I can resist anything but temptation"

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I absolutely love these new Peckett's, so much so that I'm very much contemplating preordering the blue version with Rails of Sheffield. However can I just clear something up please? From this photo you can see the lining on the boxes are blurred out. Was this on the actual model or is this photo digitally edited?

attachicon.gifIMG_0279.PNG

May be just samples as there is a big fingerprint in the back of DoDo's cab.

• RMweb Gold

[Repeat until convinced]

Beware of Oscar Wilde when it comes to some things; "I can resist anything but temptation"

Didn't Oscar end up in Reading jail? I think he put his Peckett somewhere he shouldn't have too...

I can see the comparison that Il Duce, sorry Andy, is making here. Small but perfectly formed locos from Hornby are a bit of a tradition and it looks like the Peckett is to continue this in it's various forms.

As an aside, comparing the price of the Peckett to that of the Electrotren offering is not a good thing. The standard of the Peckett appears to be far and away superior to that of the 0.6.0T. As such, you gets what you pay for. If it's value for money you are after, stick with 'Smokey Joe'.

Rob

I didn't really get to see the quality of the Electrotren as the samples I saw were boxed and the glazed packaging wasn't easy to see through. However as they were a similar price to the Hornby Sentinels, I would assume that the quality though perhaps not top notch would still be adequate for most modellers. High quality is only relevant if you can afford it (and if you're going to repaint the model or convert it into another variant - as I might have done if the Pecketts were a little cheaper - then high levels of detail are not necessarily a good thing).