Hornby Announce Peckett W4 0-4-0ST

WD0-6-0

• 2 weeks later...

What are we meant to do? ..serve up roasted Dodo for Christmas Day?.....one day to buy the Peckett on Christmas Eve! Come on Hornby, get your act together.......

As I rely on mail order, due to illness, not bargain seeking, it might be several days into January before anything arrives.

Stephen

Any body got a date yet from the grapevine, November is slipping away fast........

The Hornby website shows estimated availability dates as - Dodo - 11th December,  Manchester Ship Canal - 17th December and Huntley and Palmers - 23 December. If these are maintained there is a good chance with a fair wind, that Dodo and MSC will be here before Christmas. All three showing as sold out by Hornby to retailer pre orders.

I don't understand why they aren't being released at Warley.

Probable because the boat they are on won't arrive till after ! Patience r ember the original release date of 2017 therefore they will be here early

Edited by johnd

• RMweb Premium

What are we meant to do? ..serve up roasted Dodo for Christmas Day?.....one day to buy the Peckett on Christmas Eve! Come on Hornby, get your act together.......

As I rely on mail order, due to illness, not bargain seeking, it might be several days into January before anything arrives.

Stephen

Surely we all realise by now that NONE of the model railway manufacturers have control of when they are able to supply models? The Chinese dictate that.

We get 'em shortly after Hornby / Bachmann etc. get 'em - it's as simple as that.

Just because there's a Christian anniversary thousands of miles across the sea won't cut much ice with the Chinese.

That is the way of the world nowadays - get over it !!

Regards,

John Isherwood.

The reason it comes up is the intransigence of Hornby to employ people in Britain to make British goods, and we will not stop reminding them all the time every day every product and without ceasing till they return.........we will get "get over it"

The reason it comes up is the intransigence of Hornby to employ people in Britain to make British goods, and we will not stop reminding them all the time every day every product and without ceasing till they return.........we will get "get over it"

Wow. How much are you willing to pay for a British-made Peckett?

Genuine question. There are already complaints on pretty much every product-related thread about current prices - but you are tirelessly lobbying for them to, what?, double? Triple?

Rapido has been kind enough to tell us about the economics of Chinese production versus home production. So I'm guessing you either think they're lying, or that that's a price worth paying?

It's also intriguing that you single out Hornby. Is Chinese-owned Bachmann exempt from your demands for British-made product? Presumably Rapido shouldn't sell anything here unless it's British manufactured? Or DJM? What about Heljan - should we demand they shift everything from Denmark to the UK?

I suppose it's possible you're being ironic since I really can't see any logic behind your post. Still, as one of my chums once tartly put me down, "principles don't matter a damn unless it costs you something to hold them", so I assume from now onwards you will never buy any model railway item unless it's manufactured in Britain - you know, leading by example, and all that?

Paul

• Like 2

In yer dreams......

• RMweb Premium

The plain economic fact is that moving any production back to this country from China would result in us having to pay as much as ten times the current price. The only areas where we can compete is at the bottom end of the market were processes can be automated, such as Humbrol or at the top end where price is not a consideration (Rolls Royce). I know that other manufacturers produce more everyday products in this country but many are just 'screwdriver plants' where the products are assembled from components produced elsewhere.

Sorry, I disagree - the price of model railway items didn't drop 90% when Hornby moved production to China - if anything, prices went up!

Because the manufacturers saw that for the price the market was already paying they could introduce a step-change in quality. Do you really not remember what models were like before production moved to China?

Paul

Sorry gents, but can we keep this on topic please?

I'm sure plenty of people are checking this thread for updates on delivery times, wondering if these will be in time for xmas or not. 

The conversation topic of Far-East manufacturing vs. UK manufacturing can be discussed elsewhere.  

Paul A. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I would have definitely bought one of these, but it seems the initial release will meet with such a feeding frenzy I've no hope of getting one. Never mind, I'm sure once the initial demand abates, and a fresh batch arrives sometime in the next year or so, I might be able to spend some time and deliberation in deciding which of the future releases to opt for. Lovely model and well overdue in my opinion.