Hornby Announce Peckett W4 0-4-0ST

WD0-6-0

• RMweb Gold

Well that's it, I'm going to go against what I said I would not do again, preorder a loco!!

These just look so good, I'm going to splash the cash...

Might have a rethink on my layout plans too, something industrial fit for the Peckett.

All the best,

Keith

• Like 3

With the fly wheel I wonder if it will cope with insulfrog points? I don't think there will be a lot of space for stay alive

In the video on the Engine Shed they did run over insulfrog points

Cheers,

David

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

But nothing's going to make them run well over insulfrogs at very low speed unless track is perfectly flat and clean ;)

Very short wheelbase locos need either electrofrog points, very high revving motor and flywheel or a stay alive to ensure perfect running over point work. Even with electrofrogs compensation is a good idea. It's not a Hornby design problem as such as there are solutions available, clean well laid track for one, if you have insulfrogs and want to run at very low speed but add unnecessary expense otherwise.

Edited by PaulRhB
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Having followed the link helpfully posted above by Ozexpatriate (and having finished drooling), I am facing a genuine dilemma.  Pathetic in a grown man, I know.

I had decided to leave it at just the Leaf Green version, not because I wanted to model Dodo's prototype line, but because a works livery Peckett can be used anywhere.  I can, thus, justify it on my first layout (under-construction) and many potential projects, including 2 industrial micro-layouts that exist, so far, only in my imagination.

I had reluctantly concluded that I could not possibly justify the H&P.  If I bought it, I would have to run it somewhere it could never have been seen (Norfolk!), and, while I realise that Rule No.1 exists for just such cases, I am haunted by the fear that succumbing to the charms of the little blue Peckett would make me, well, there's no pleasant word for this, no better than a Collector!

It is, in the flesh, irresistible!

Still, no one ever died of a modelling dilemma, and it's a nice problem to have.  Well done, again, Hornby!

• Like 6

Having followed the link helpfully posted above by Ozexpatriate (and having finished drooling), I am facing a genuine dilemma.  Pathetic in a grown man, I know.

I had decided to leave it at just the Leaf Green version, not because I wanted to model Dodo's prototype line, but because a works livery Peckett can be used anywhere.  I can, thus, justify it on my first layout (under-construction) and many potential projects, including 2 industrial micro-layouts that exist, so far, only in my imagination.

I had reluctantly concluded that I could not possibly justify the H&P.  If I bought it, I would have to run it somewhere it could never have been seen (Norfolk!), and, while I realise that Rule No.1 exists for just such cases, I am haunted by the fear that succumbing to the charms of the little blue Peckett would make me, well, there's no pleasant word for this, no better than a Collector!

Still, no one ever died of a modelling dilemma, and it's a nice problem to have.  Well done, again, Hornby!

I can’t see a difficulty here. Become a collector! It’ll be worth it, provided that the little beggars run well.

• RMweb Gold

I have succumbed and you can call me whatever you like (take care tho') - H&P obviously sold them out of service as far as I'm concerned but that might not necessarily suit your timescales of course.  Must admit I do rather fancy adding a  green one to my existing pre-order.  And I will admit to having in my possession a 40ft (40ft:1") H*&P scale plan of their factory site lurking in the study - nice little 2 road engine shed completely separated from the rest of the site ...

I do wonder if this goes well - which it surely must - what Hornby will do with it in coming years as there are sufficient separate parts to allow a number of variations to be accurately modelled so it really is one where they could almost manage a  re-release several years in succession and sell the lot.  Something to keep an eye I suspect - and of course H&P had four  :jester:

m

• Like 3

would make me, well, there's no pleasant word for this, no better than a Collector

Consider yourself an antiquarian, a curator of the arcane and curious,

And buy one.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Oh, come on chaps!

If you can't justify a loco like the H&P Peckett on your main layout, just pop down to B&Q and get a chunk of ply and some timber battens, build a small(ish) baseboard and with a couple of points and a couple of lengths of flexitrack you can have a layout for it to shuffle around.  A bit of work with some low-relief card kits (many are available!) and you can get a nice little factory environment to keep it company!

There's no need to become a collector.....

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I will invent a reason/build a plank - if ever there was a model that deserves to have a story/layout weaved aroung it....

But, I notice that Hattons has a H&P 0-4-0ST in stock!

Funny how the engineering samples looked  so much better .....

post-25673-0-49951600-1469364291.jpg

Edited by Edwardian
  • Like 1

Oh, come on chaps!

If you can't justify a loco like the H&P Peckett on your main layout, just pop down to B&Q and get a chunk of ply and some timber battens, build a small(ish) baseboard and with a couple of points and a couple of lengths of flexitrack you can have a layout for it to shuffle around.  A bit of work with some low-relief card kits (many are available!) and you can get a nice little factory environment to keep it company!

There's no need to become a collector.....

I've already got seven layouts on the go, or being planned. Tempting as it is, I really need to resist the urge!

• Like 1

I will invent a reason/build a plank - if ever there was a model that deserves to have a story/layout weaved aroung it....

Well... that takes the Biscuit.......

• RMweb Gold

That one looks like it deserves to be dunked in a mug of tea!

When the first batch of Sentinels (Cattewater, NCB, Tarmac) came out, a sad little Hornby class 101 called "Sentinel", from many years previous, showed itself.  Almost as confusing as the 9F called "Cock O'The North" which was current just before the real 2001 was released.......

If it is anything like the Sentinel then it should be OK.

Please don't take this wrong. but your Sentinel has a back to back issue on one axle, probably tight, which is causing a drop on the frog, the other axle is OK

Stephen

Please don't take this wrong. but your Sentinel has a back to back issue on one axle, probably tight, which is causing a drop on the frog, the other axle is OK

Stephen

Nope it is caused by having an effing big motor one end and shite points.

I'm just going to get "Dodo" in the standard Peckett livery, give it a fictitious new name,

As Dunsignalling said, I am also going to get a standard livery Peckett.

Although, it will be perfect for my Whisky Distillery layout, I can even justify it as being bought from the Papermill down the line.

The premise is:

After Queen Victoria died, the Deeside line was extended passed Ballater to supply the "Royal Lochnagar distillery" that still exists near Balmoral.

It will also have passenger workings as well as timber traffic from the nearby forests.

It is a 12ft long (four scenic boards) 3ftx 2ft plus fiddle-yard. From fiddle yard to station to Distillery terminus, 4mm transition green Diesel era (mostly) layout.

Still working on the base boards, but hope to start a post on RMWeb once they are assembled.

Pepsi

Thanks for the prompt Phil, edit completed.  :angel:

Edited by ukpepsi
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

An Armchair Question: what is the likely cost (all told) of a commissioned limited run of a simple livery like that applied to 'George Jennings' (simple green with red underframe and red banding, no lining)?

An Armchair Question: what is the likely cost (all told) of a commissioned limited run of a simple livery like that applied to 'George Jennings' (simple green with red underframe and red banding, no lining)?

And an armchair reply is ask Hornby...it is likely to be a commercial secret, confidential to the client......

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

And an armchair reply is ask Hornby...it is likely to be a commercial secret, confidential to the client......

Good point. I forget to remember these things.