Jonny's "where are these?" photo album

jonny777

I stewarded on that train, and rode in the cab for a while. From memory, we left Cambridge southwards (it may have been Ely), to KGX but turned off via the junction to the North London line at Belle Isle. We headed out on the GW via the Severn tunnel to somewhere like Llanelli, ran round and took the Central Wales line to Shrewsbury. Another reversal saw us head back via the midlands to Leicester, then Peterborough. We probably went as far south as Stevenage before running round then Hitchin, Royston, Cambridge.

The Cambridge Railway Circle was (and still is) a group that meets monthly Sept-May with monthly talks. Their past Chairman was high up at Ciba-Geigy. During the summer months local visits were arranged to signal boxes etc, along with coach trips to preservation sites. Also there used to be at least one railtour such as this one, but increased costs and the difficulties of privatisation killed them off. As BR insisted on pre-payment for tours, they were done in conjunction with Ciba to provide funds, and ran as joint ventures between the CRC and CIBA social club.

Stewart

Here is another one of that train, this time in the Shrewsbury area I think.

post-4474-0-72048500-1458664344_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Here is another one of that train, this time in the Shrewsbury area I think.

attachicon.gifScan-160322-0012.jpg

I should have a couple more at home, I'll see if I can find them when I return from shift on Friday. Impressive headboard! On the original picture I believe the Chairman is on the far right, alongside the Membership Secretary or Treasurer.

Our destination was Llandrindod Wells, where we stopped for a while.

Stewart

• Like 1

thats llandridnod wells

Right, thanks very much.

The next slide in the box was taken at Shrewsbury so basically I guessed.  I really must try harder with some of these.

Thanks very much Jim.

The problem for me is that after a dozen or so photos in Shropshire and mid-Wales, my head is tuned into the area and a sudden change of geographical location throws me completely.

I should have a couple more at home, I'll see if I can find them when I return from shift on Friday. Impressive headboard! On the original picture I believe the Chairman is on the far right, alongside the Membership Secretary or Treasurer.

Our destination was Llandrindod Wells, where we stopped for a while.

Stewart

As promised, my shots of the train.

Cardiff

post-2049-0-95396200-1459163083.jpg

Llandridnod Wells

post-2049-0-12176300-1459163090.jpg

Not sure where,does anyone recognise it? Me in the cab.

post-2049-0-32816900-1459163102.jpg

I've also found a few others of our railtours if anyone is interested?

Stewart

Edited by stewartingram
  • Like 6

Is that Llangadog in the last photo? It looks vaguely familiar.

I'd lover to know! We were heading north, and I believe it to be south of Sugar Loaf? The train halted there for the driver (on the platform) to I believe lower the barriers on a level crossing?

Stewart

• RMweb Gold

I'd lover to know! We were heading north, and I believe it to be south of Sugar Loaf? The train halted there for the driver (on the platform) to I believe lower the barriers on a level crossing?

Stewart

If the train was heading north you have a  choice of the following (in order from the south) with level crossings just in advance of the station platform, hwever all those level crossings were automatic as far as I can trace-

Ammanford

Cynghordy

(Sugar Loaf)

Garth

Dolau

Bucknell

• RMweb Gold

dolau was the one that sprung immediatly to mind for me but a quick google image search revealed it not to be, platform too long in the picture, no OOU platform, station buildings etc, similarly bucknell, not enough infrastructure for my liking

i only learned as far as llandridnod (and never signed it in the end) so the stations south of there i cant help with, although sugarloaf is a definate no no as not even the loco would fit on the platform there!

edit: quick google search of the list above and i'd say its ammanford, random flickr pic

https://flic.kr/p/AEA9oL

Edited by big jim
  • Like 1

If the train was heading north you have a  choice of the following (in order from the south) with level crossings just in advance of the station platform, hwever all those level crossings were automatic as far as I can trace-

Ammanford

Cynghordy

(Sugar Loaf)

Garth

Dolau

Bucknell

Although the level crossings are marked up as AOL, (Automatic Open xing Locally monitored), a lot of them are at stations. This means that a train approaching the Xing from the station side has to stop at the station and then when ready to depart, the guard presses a plunger to start the light sequence on the crossing. Even freights using the route have to do this, as I had to do on many occasions when working over the route. When approaching from the non station side the Xing works like an automatic one. Slow down to the required speed and observe the flashing white light is lit before proceeding. Of the list of stations above, Dolau and Bucknell both worked in this manner, I don't remember there being a Xing at Garth, although Llandovery did have a Xing which worked as above. I vary rarely worked over the southern end of the line so my info is sketchy on them, but I think the principle of operation was the same if there was a station & Xing together. The odd one was the Xing at Llandrindod Wells. This has full barriers but still required trains to stop and the driver to set the barrier sequence going by pulling on a length of rope mounted at cab level. Quite a bit of fun when trying to stop a 1500ton steel train in the right place to reach the rope!

dolau was the one that sprung immediatly to mind for me but a quick google image search revealed it not to be, platform too long in the picture, no OOU platform, station buildings etc, similarly bucknell, not enough infrastructure for my liking

i only learned as far as llandridnod (and never signed it in the end) so the stations south of there i cant help with, although sugarloaf is a definate no no as not even the loco would fit on the platform there!

edit: quick google search of the list above and i'd say its ammanford, random flickr pic

https://flic.kr/p/AEA9oL

I agree. Having trawled through the web I also think the photo was taken at Ammanford.

Paul J.

• Like 1

This slide is annoying me, because the 159 unit narrows down the location somewhat but 4 tracks are more confusing.

The slide mount says Sep 1994, and there seems to be a road running parallel with the line judging by the lamp standards on the left.

I wondered if it could be somewhere in Newton Abbot and the 159 is on a summer Brighton to Plymouth working?

post-4474-0-10057500-1459767788_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

This slide is annoying me, because the 159 unit narrows down the location somewhat but 4 tracks are more confusing.

The slide mount says Sep 1994, and there seems to be a road running parallel with the line judging by the lamp standards on the left.

I wondered if it could be somewhere in Newton Abbot and the 159 is on a summer Brighton to Plymouth working?

attachicon.gifScan-160404-0006.jpg

It looks to be just north of Aller Junction looking south with the A380 street lights in the background. The train would therefore be NB train from Paighton to Waterloo. I think Brighton to Plymouth would be a Regional Railways service.

• RMweb Gold

It looks to be just north of Aller Junction looking south with the A380 street lights in the background. The train would therefore be NB train from Paighton to Waterloo. I think Brighton to Plymouth would be a Regional Railways service.

It looks very different now, with the South Devon Highway in much evidence. And it would suit me very well if SWT still ran to Paignton - I prefer the Waterloo route to Exeter, but always have to decamp from the 159 to catch some deplorable FGW DMU!