Jonny's "where are these?" photo album

jonny777

• RMweb Gold

Image 905.

This photo annoys me because I ought to be able to find a station of that size on my own, but no luck so far.

I think the loco is a B17, but it may not be.

attachicon.gifIMG_0905 copy.jpg

It looks like March.

David

Edit - beast beat me to it.

David

Edited by DaveF

Thanks Beast.

You put me out of my misery, as I thought it looked vaguely familiar, but for some reason I was convinced it must be in Essex, so had looked all over that area - Braintree, Witham, etc., but not thought of anywhere further north.

Mind you, after switching from Mistley to Savernake and back again, I would probably not recognise a photo of my own house if it was from an unusual angle.

In which case, I can move swiftly on to then next image 907

post-4474-0-45363700-1467967452_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Beast.

You put me out of my misery, as I thought it looked vaguely familiar, but for some reason I was convinced it must be in Essex, so had looked all over that area - Braintree, Witham, etc., but not thought of anywhere further north.

Mind you, after switching from Mistley to Savernake and back again, I would probably not recognise a photo of my own house if it was from an unusual angle.

In which case, I can move swiftly on to then next image 907

attachicon.gifIMG_0907 copy.jpg

I think that's Cheddington, looking along the LNWR Aylesbury branch.

Dave.

A few more old b/w scans now.

These are mainly from the days of electrification work on the GE, but I don't recognise the locations - although a few other prints have been of Ingatestone, so they could be near there.

post-4474-0-48415400-1467981625_thumb.jpg

post-4474-0-89706900-1467981628_thumb.jpg

post-4474-0-62204700-1467981632_thumb.jpg

post-4474-0-50235700-1467981635_thumb.jpg

post-4474-0-03630200-1467981638_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Photo 897 looks to be the east end of Billericay station. 899 could be the section to the east of the station in the cutting - very few bits of the GE electrified at this time was in a cutting and curved at the same time.

Edited by Bomag

• RMweb Gold

908 is Aldeby on the old beccles to Yarmouth line. Aldeby was kept open for sugar beet until 65, after this picture was taken the line beyond the buffer stops in the picture was lifted and truncated with stops opposite the one in the siding.

It's interesting what they have done there as the points to the siding would have been from the lifted line and a diamond where the points are shown in the picture

• Like 1

Images 848 and 849 are not of the best quality, but do show some rather vintage non-vestibule coaching stock stored in a rather rural location.... but where?

post-4474-0-67116400-1468055896_thumb.jpg

post-4474-0-40232400-1468055898_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Premium

Pure guesswork but somewhere in the Norfolk or Suffolk area? Waiting entry to a scrap yard perhaps?

Are they LNER quad-arts? Difficult to be sure on my phone.

I did wonder whether it was King's scrapyard at Wymondham on the remains of the Forncett branch, but I'm not sure whether there was an over bridge there - Google Earth is inconclusive.  The Wymondham bypass now crosses the track bed in that general area, but that wouldn't have been there then!  I think the coaches are ex-GER London suburban stock.

• RMweb Gold

I did wonder whether it was King's scrapyard at Wymondham on the remains of the Forncett branch, but I'm not sure whether there was an over bridge there - Google Earth is inconclusive.  The Wymondham bypass now crosses the track bed in that general area, but that wouldn't have been there then!  I think the coaches are ex-GER London suburban stock.

No bridge.

http://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/sidebyside.cfm#zoom=15&lat=52.5646&lon=1.1303&layers=11&right=BingHyb

• RMweb Premium

Those coaches have a large set number on the end, much like Quad-Arts. Wrong roof profile for those though.

Stewart

That's one reason I said ex GE London Area coaches - the GE Section suburban sets had set numbers painted on the ends in the same way that the Quad Arts on the GN did.

Not there, then!

• RMweb Premium

A wild stab in the dark here, but that over bridge looks very like the Great Central London extension ones, although the track doesn't look of high enough quality (very little ballast) so could it be somewhere near Verny Junction? I'm sure I've read that coaches where stored around those parts.....

Andy G