Jonny's "where are these?" photo album

jonny777

This photo is causing me problems.

post-4474-0-75683400-1457696929_thumb.jpg

The headboard says "Cam-Eden Express" and the other board says DRP Railtours.

The loco is 47825 and the location appears to be somewhere on the S&C. However the slide mount gives the year of processing to be 1990 and the month looks like a 10, so not after Oct 1990.

The problem I have is that I can find no reference to a Cam-Eden Express in 1989 or 1990, nor anything by DRP Railtours. There was a Cam-Eden Express in 1992 but that was run by the Cambridge Railway Circle, did not use 47825, and had 4472 between Carlisle and Farington Junction where 47833 took over (and had brought the tour train to Carlisle).

I may be missing something very obvious, but to avoid a permanent headache I will throw this open to all, in the hope that someone here was actually on this tour.

I think you will find that is one run by the Cambridge Railway Circle. I stewarded on a few of those! The headboards were raffled on the train, but names re-used. Financially the tours were done in conjunction with CIBA-Geigy of Duxford (think araldite), as the Chairman of the CRC (the DRP of the headboard) was high up at CIBA and they ostensibly ran as a social club outing. All payments to BR had to be made up front, this was too much for the CRC on its own. They do have a website, maybe contact them direct?

steve-rigall.com is the site, found it on Google. I'm checking my pics to see if I have any.

Edit: found one. I was on that, the caption gives the year as 1990.

Here we are laying over at Carlisle before returning. I don't have any more details, but I'm sure the CRC would have.

Stewart

post-2049-0-78665300-1457703860.jpg

Edited by stewartingram
  • Like 3

A bit more from memory about this railtour - apologies if I get this wrong! I fully expect some corrections (thanks in advance)& I may get confused with othr CRC trips. 1st time I've ever seen anything on the web about them.

The CRC was (is) a group that meets monthly in Cambridge, Sept through to April. During the summer months there would be visits arranged locally, such as signalboxes, and local-ish coach outings, but usually at least one railtour was run in the closed season. Sadly with the onslaught of multiple units, this died a death. After privatisation it became more expensive too, though at least a couple of Anglia loco-hauled sets were used. With the high profile contacts in the club, many top names gave lectures, and these contacts were sometimes used to procure charters and special locos. For instance, I think it was Chris Green (of NSE fame) who organised a 319 from Cambridge to Brighton, and a 322 Stansted Express to York. Imagine that today! On another occasion we had an Intercity livery 47 (488? very rare at the time) to Bristol, where a 45 took over to Paignton. On return to Bristol, our 47 had gone missing and we got a filthy one instead. A claim for compensation went in about that!

Anyway, this tour. I believe we ran ECS to Royston, then picked up and returned via Cambridge to Peterborough. I have vague memories of Leicester though that may have been another tour. I also recall seeing the Angel of the North, and travelling via Hexham. Another route remembered was via Manchester (saw a tram when they were fairly new), Kirkby Lonsdale (where we had arranged for Jim Bowen to be on the platform of his own station, but sadly we didn't see him), then over Shap to Carlisle. Which of these we did that day I can't remember. We laid over at Carlisle for a while, where my pic was taken in the sidings. Return was via the S&C; we certainly stopped at Ribblehead, as 2 of us trekked across the moor to take a pic of the viaduct. This would be when your pic was taken.

Return from there? Again I have memories of the Leicester -Peterborough route in the dark (which suggests late running), but it may have been ECML instead. Because we were late, we got involved in a possession, so diverted via Hitchin to reach Cambridge. Where we stopped, there was no shunter to uncouple the loco, (although pre-arranged), so we had to go further for that. It could have been Stevenage or WGC where we ran round.

If anyone can add to this I would be grateful.

Stewart

Edited by stewartingram

Oh dear, I am stuck for location i.d. again.

This is 47600 at what appear to be ECS sidings on maybe the truncated tracks of a once through route?

Something is written between the windows of the Mk1, but I can't read it.

post-4474-0-13709400-1457954601_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

When I saw this I thought the driver from Stafford was back on the mainline!

That coach doesn't seem to be all it seems. There isn't much blue above the windows and certainly no yellow, though I'm not sure if any BCKs got downgraded

That coach - yet there are little "1" stickers on the big windows, and a "1" on the door. Very odd. I wondered if the coach could be on a preserved line?

Edit: blowing it up very large, you could convince yourself that the big word between the windows could be LOCOMOTIVE, as if it was a steam support coach.

Tracks are very rusty. 

47600 was renumbered to that number in Nov 1983 according to brdatabase, renumbered again in March 1994, and named on 19 July 1985 according to class47.co.uk (Dewi Sant/Saint David).

So that narrows it down to 1985-1994.

Edited by eastwestdivide

I think you might be right there, Russ.

The modern day flats are not quite right, but have probably been built since the photo was taken (it was 30 years ago :O  ), and the houses beyond at a right angle seem to fit.

Maybe it was something to do with the Shakespeare Express steam runs that were common at the time? Could the BCK be a support coach?

Edit, sorry Eastwestdivide, you were there before me with the support coach theory. I need nurse to give me some stronger meds.

Edited by jonny777
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I'm pretty certain the BCK is indeed a support coach. Didn't the one used on Cambridge University Railway Club/Society use this one with the pale blue in place of the grey? Unfortunately I can't find a pic online at the mo' that shows this coach.

A pic of the support coach behind Sir Nigel here:

http://www.sirnigelgresley.org.uk/presphoto01.shtml

This link should display a gallery, click on Ribblehead 13Feb 1982

In which case the BCK is 21096/99080

According to SBJ 4468 ran a special on 11th May 1986 from Cambridge to Stratford by the CURC - SNG from Ruislip to Banbury where it was replace by a unknown loco while 4498 was turned via the Hatton curve)

Edited by Bomag

I know where this is, but does anyone have any details (other than can be read on the headboard)?

Does anyone work for CIBA-GEIGY and remember this trip?

The loco is 47841 and the slide mount says 06/91. I have had no joy on Six Bells Junction.

post-4474-0-11165200-1458589554_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Looks like a bilingual station sign - not Cardiff Central / Caerdydd Canolog (sp.?) is it??? Looks like 2 words beginning with roundish letters.

I also answered Cardiff and then noticed he knows where it's taken :blush:

• Like 1

I stewarded on that train, and rode in the cab for a while. From memory, we left Cambridge southwards (it may have been Ely), to KGX but turned off via the junction to the North London line at Belle Isle. We headed out on the GW via the Severn tunnel to somewhere like Llanelli, ran round and took the Central Wales line to Shrewsbury. Another reversal saw us head back via the midlands to Leicester, then Peterborough. We probably went as far south as Stevenage before running round then Hitchin, Royston, Cambridge.

The Cambridge Railway Circle was (and still is) a group that meets monthly Sept-May with monthly talks. Their past Chairman was high up at Ciba-Geigy. During the summer months local visits were arranged to signal boxes etc, along with coach trips to preservation sites. Also there used to be at least one railtour such as this one, but increased costs and the difficulties of privatisation killed them off. As BR insisted on pre-payment for tours, they were done in conjunction with Ciba to provide funds, and ran as joint ventures between the CRC and CIBA social club.

Stewart

• Like 2

Many thanks Stewart.

My guesses are all wrong, especially as it started nowhere near Cardiff, but this does fit with many of the other photos on the film which were taken in and around the Cambridge area.

However, here is another which I feel I ought to know the location of, but do not.

post-4474-0-49787700-1458647243_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Many thanks Stewart.

My guesses are all wrong, especially as it started nowhere near Cardiff, but this does fit with many of the other photos on the film which were taken in and around the Cambridge area.

However, here is another which I feel I ought to know the location of, but do not.

attachicon.gif60027 7:91.jpg

Fenny Compton, the Class 60 is on the Down Main Line.

Here you go, I just found this -

• Like 2