Jonny's "where are these?" photo album

jonny777

Thanks for the Chesterton Junction info folk; much appreciated.

The slide mount date for that photo is 02/92, so taken sometime in the winter of 91/92 I expect.

The locos appear to be 31191 and 31218, although the rear loco number is difficult to make out.

• RMweb Premium

This is Chesterton Junction on 15th September 1974.  The bridge isn't quite the same although it could have been rebuilt or modified in the intervening period, perhaps in connection with the electrification.

post-13986-0-96276200-1454265285_thumb.jpg

Chris Turnbull 

Edited by Chris Turnbull
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

This is causing me problems, but should be obvious to some.

A large power station on the right with an aggregates depot in the foreground and what might be the partial remains of a viaduct.

To narrow it down much further, the unit destination blind says Skegness. 

post-4474-0-98886900-1455554373_thumb.jpg

And milepost 16, which should narrow it down. I can't see your viaduct though.

I'd guess a Tyseley unit - were there Birmingham-Derby-Nott-Skeg workings? It looks vaguely "S of Derby on the route to Birmingham" to me.

Edited by eastwestdivide

A large power station on the right with an aggregates depot in the foreground and what might be the partial remains of a viaduct.

attachicon.gifScan-160215-0011.jpg

Off the top of my head it could be at the 16MP south of Derby on line to Birmingham. The power station is a fit for Willington and there are aggregate quarries on the SE side of the track. Also it looks like a Tyesley  116.

If its not that it could be on the Derby- Notts line with Castle Donnington in the background - most power stations in the area have towers in lines rather than in a V.

I had

And milepost 16, which should narrow it down. I can't see your viaduct though.

The 'viaduct' was visible on a blow-up of the original scan, and can be just seen just to the left of the pylon which is directly in line with the track as it vanishes into the distance.

• RMweb Gold

Looks to me just south of Willington as there's an aggregate site on the right, and a footbridge from where the photo was most likely taken. A few miles from where I live!

The gravel pits remind me of the ones near Long Eaton on the Derby- Nottingham line- however, the mileposts there would be 122. The only MP 16 I can find around that area is at Barton South Jct, where the Birmingham via Lichfield and the Birmingham via Tamworth lines split. In that case, the viaduct would be Wichnor, over the Trent and Tame. In that case, could the power station be Rugeley?

• RMweb Gold

If you go into Google Earth and search for Willington I'm pretty certain that's where this is. Go down to bottom left and you'll see the aggregate site on the right on the line.  There's a private access road over the railway at this point, and Willington Power Station is in the background.  Seems like the photo was taken from that bridge.

The lineside vegetation has grown massively since the photo was taken and I doubt you could get the same picture today.

Edited by RFS

• RMweb Premium

The gravel pits remind me of the ones near Long Eaton on the Derby- Nottingham line- however, the mileposts there would be 122. The only MP 16 I can find around that area is at Barton South Jct, where the Birmingham via Lichfield and the Birmingham via Tamworth lines split. In that case, the viaduct would be Wichnor, over the Trent and Tame. In that case, could the power station be Rugeley?

I think you are correct but the power station is/was Drakelow not Rugeley. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drakelow_Power_Station

Drakelow was demolished 9/10 years ago. but the outline of part of it (C Station I think) can be seen on google maps.

Edited by Ramrig

• 2 weeks later...

The catenary masts suggest GE, and it would be a station with staggered platforms.

I thought of Great Chesterford on the Cambridge line, but the supports are not right for that station, unless they have been renewed with more lightweight affairs.

The catenary masts suggest GE, and it would be a station with staggered platforms.

I thought of Great Chesterford on the Cambridge line, but the supports are not right for that station, unless they have been renewed with more lightweight affairs.

What station might have had a train conveying a TPO stop at it? I believe the TPO run into East Anglia was latterly to Norwich.

Waterbeach. Down ECS heading back to the Midlands after maintenance at Coldham lane.

Thanks very much LNERGE.

If only I had moved to the north of Cambridge on Google Earth I might have found it.

Thanks very much LNERGE.

If only I had moved to the north of Cambridge on Google Earth I might have found it.

An easy one for me. Firmly in my patch. A timely reminder i must add a 1990 ish timetable to my simulator. 

I am assuming this is Scotland for various reasons, but not being that familiar with the more remote parts of the system I cannot place this view without a lot of research.

Could it be somewhere near Fort William?

post-4474-0-94350000-1457011537_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

attachicon.gifScan-160215-0011.jpg

going back to this one, you are indeed looking towards burton on trent from the bridge at wichnor jn, the power stations are drakelow and and pretty sure, willington

to the left of that picture now is central rivers depot the lead in being just past the 16 milepost

random flickr pic from the same location

https://flic.kr/p/natfRd

Edited by big jim