Playing with Hornby Dublo 3 rail again

Jenny Emily

• RMweb Premium

As a teenager I found an advert in Railway Modeller for second hand models at an address in Wimbledon. A whole room in the flat was filled with second-hand stock and I was soon a regular which meant I also got to see the owners wonderful Hornby Dublo 3 rail layout. My favourite train on it was the EMU and this last week I have finally become the owner of a 3 car set, although 2 rail. The room in a flat soon became Platform Two in Wimbledon Broadway and the supplier of my EMU was Wheels of Steel, sadly now only online and not in Grey's Antiques Market near Bond Street.

As a teenager I found an advert in Railway Modeller for second hand models at an address in Wimbledon. A whole room in the flat was filled with second-hand stock and I was soon a regular which meant I also got to see the owners wonderful Hornby Dublo 3 rail layout. My favourite train on it was the EMU and this last week I have finally become the owner of a 3 car set, although 2 rail. The room in a flat soon became Platform Two in Wimbledon Broadway and the supplier of my EMU was Wheels of Steel, sadly now only online and not in Grey's Antiques Market near Bond Street.

It's easy enough to add a 3 rail pickup....   :)

(and easily reversible to preserve the value - since it's an EMU there is no real need to reverse the magnet.)

Edited by Il Grifone

Here are some Dublo Neverwazza EMU's.  These are etched brass Bulleid suburbans to fit Dublo chassis's and uses the Dublo EMU motorised chassis.  Also is a Dublo style toilet suburban, again etched brass. A pair of EMU parcels vehicles using the Dublo powered chassis. A motorised GUV using the Bo-Bo bogies. A fictitious EMU/DMU using the Bulleid etches but a pantograph fitted to the centre car. Also a very rare unpainted EMU front.  There are quite a few unpainted fronts that have the moulded ridge that the yellow fits into around the world but this one is one of only 200 that does not have the moulded ridge and only the second one I know of.  This matches the Dublo adverts but were not supposed to be used/sold as BR decided on the yellow panels before sales started and Dublo quickly added the ridge to paint the yellow in. 

Garry

post-22530-0-51262800-1493384967.jpg

post-22530-0-15345100-1493384972.jpg

post-22530-0-60298000-1493385023.jpg

post-22530-0-56983200-1493385032_thumb.jpg

post-22530-0-34825500-1493385155_thumb.jpg

post-22530-0-88460700-1493385200_thumb.jpg

post-22530-0-64066300-1493385520_thumb.jpg

post-22530-0-15531500-1493385531_thumb.jpg

post-22530-0-12113700-1493385832.jpg

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

It's easy enough to add a 3 rail pickup....   :)

(and easily reversible to preserve the value - since it's an EMU there is no real need to reverse the magnet.)

I wanted a 2 rail version so it can run with my modern Bachmann and Hornby units. Put it on track alongside one of the modern units, stand three feet away and it is hard to believe it is 60 year old technology, it just looks so good.

I wanted a 2 rail version so it can run with my modern Bachmann and Hornby units. Put it on track alongside one of the modern units, stand three feet away and it is hard to believe it is 60 year old technology, it just looks so good.

My Hornby 2 BIL that i 3 railed a few  weeks ago.

Ray.post-4249-0-82238600-1493408038_thumb.jpgpost-4249-0-82238600-1493408038_thumb.jpg

Whoops,went on twice.

Edited by sagaguy
  • Like 3

I'm impressed that you appear to have chosen your dining table to fit H-D large radius curves :D.

I can't claim any credit for being clever (or should that be devious?) about it though.  We bought our dining suite in 1982, long before I had any Hornby Dublo items.

Did you get your power supply sorted?.

Ray.

Not yet.  It's still struggling along with a less than perfect power supply.  I just bought two more locos that are currently in transit and I don't think it would be a good move to buy new controllers at the moment.  I'll wait until a few weeks have gone by.

Trix coach finally finished coupled to my BR green City of Liverpool.The only thing is that getting the lining straight takes a lot of patience.,anybody got any methods for this.Only four more to do!

Ray.post-4249-0-50367400-1493569666_thumb.jpgpost-4249-0-67584200-1493569683_thumb.jpg

The lining looks to be HMRS pressfix and if so it is just patience Ray, I have never tried waterslide coach lining.  It looks to have the Yellow/Black/Yellow triple banding at waist level, any particular reason as Blood and Custard liveries only had the Yellow/Black twin lines with black facing the cream on both waist and cantrail levels?

Garry

Edited by Golden Fleece 30

Oh dear,i thought that i`d be caught out on that,it`s just that i had an unused packet of Modelmaster coach lining for Crimson coaches.It`s a ###### to line up,short lengths & a cocktail stick & a lot of patience.

Ray.

PS,`oos been a naughty boy & got chucked out of HDE. :no:

Edited by sagaguy

Modelmaster  must mean they are waterslide then.  Often thought about them but worried how wide the carrier film maybe, looks like no carrier or do you have to cut close to the lines?

I fully expected to be removed from the HDE but I still think my point was valid as was my previous one about links and names a few months ago.  Admin are power mad and they can keep it.  In reality there was nothing there to help me, I only joined to help others but too many issues with a few members and then admin thinking they are superior when all they are being is hypocritical saying no to the "peasants" while yes to the "gods".  I don't know why David Walker got thrown out though.  It is actually the same with the HRCA with the committee thinking they are god when from the top just rude and ignorant and that is why my membership will not be renewed lol.

Garry

Hi Garry,

Modelmaster claim you can remove the carrier film once the decal has dried. I tried it and the transfer peeled off and broke up*. Thus I didn't try any more and ordered

some HMRS Pressfix for the other wagons. One day I'll get around to lettering them...

I seem to recall that one of the R-T-R manufacturers used black-yellow-black lining, but it doesn't show much anyway. (The eyes aren't what they used to be!)

* Undoubtedly my fault!

David

Edited by Il Grifone

Hi David,

I too had no success with the "peelable" carrier film and mine resulted in the same way with the transfer coming off. I do use their diesel and some wagon ones but not peelable. I have ordered some of their DMU lining to try out.

I think Lima may have used the incorrect triple lining and to me these stand out like a sore thumb, although these days only when I have my glasses on lol.

Garry

I went into Halfords today to buy an aerosol can of Ford Sahara Beige today & i was told that they are not mixing paint in the store any more,apparently,you will have to order it & pick it up 24 hours later.To replace this,tonight,i have orered two rattle cans of Molotow acrylic Sahara Beige.I have heard & seen a couple of pics & reccommendations so i will keep you posted.

Ray.

Edited by sagaguy

Ray, Sierra or Sahara lol?

Garry

I can never remember which is the right one. I bought a touch up pot of Ford S??? Beige at a boot sale once. Obviously it was the wrong one....

My attempts at mixing it have proved elusive too... (The original comes in several shades, but it's still hard to get right!)

The concrete colour (or more accurately 'colours' as this varies even more than Dublo's beige) used by Trix is similarly hard to match, as are the colours used on Dublo 3 rail track.

Humbrol's concrete scenic colour was unlike any of them.

Edited by Il Grifone
  • Like 1

Whilst i was in Halfords yesterday,i picked up a can of Sierra Beige but put it back because it was too brown.this is probably why i posted the wrong colour.

Ray.

I have been informed from another forum that you will be able to order your paint online from Halfords,they then send the order to be mixed in the store( scratches head at this point!)but they want the paint code or a reg no.Seeing as i havn`t got either of these,has any one got the paint code or a reg no.we could use.

Ray.

It'll be this one

http://paintref.com/cgi-bin/paintdetail.cgi?paint=1974|Mercury|Sahara%20Beige

This colour isn't right (the car is though - the coolest ever IMHO)

http://paintref.com/cgi-bin/colorcodedisplay.cgi?type=sample&ditzler=22528&syear=1966&smanuf=Ford&smake=Ford&smodel=Mustang&sname=Sahara%20Beige&name=1966_00121_01&scomm=

One for sale ('only' 3 litres though!)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/192176110915?rmvSB=true

This looks more like 'beige' than the illustration above, but still not the Dublo colour.

Edited by Il Grifone