Photo's Of East Yorkshire Railways

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, everyone, and thank you, Mick, for posting that excellent photo’ of a WD at Marfleet in about 1965, and it’s most interesting that the WD with the ex-NER tender was working it back to the Southern.

Now, this evening, we have two photo’s by John Turner, and Peter Brumby, on Flickr, of Thompson, B1, 4-6-0, 61240, “Harry Hinchliffe", as it accelerates away from Brough, with an up express, in about July, 1959. The photo’ is a bit unclear, but shows how the track layout was at the west end of the station.

c.07/1959 - Brough, East Yorkshire.

The second photo’ is of Doncaster, K3, 61964, as it passes the gas works at Brough, with a Hull bound, Class D express freight, on the 20th June, 1959.

20/06/1959 - Brough, East Yorkshire.

And, finally, a photo’ by John Turner, on Flickr, of Ruston & Hornsby, Class LPSH, 0-4-0DH (RH 513139/1967) "Herbert Turner" at APCM Melton Quarry, in about 1971.

The extended caption, on Flickr, by John Turner, reads, “The loco was new to APCM Barnstone Cement Works, Nottinghamshire and was originally named "The Herbert Turner" moving to Melton some time in 1970. By the date of this photo, "The" had been dropped from its name and indeed the nameplate looks rather crude (you can just see a hint of the original longer plate).

When Melton relinquished the use of rail around 1973, it moved down to Humber Works itself, then (after closure of the cement works and a period of disuse) it went to Omya UK in Aberdeen during March or April 2000, then I believe it was conserved by Bryan Lawson at Coleford around March 2010.”

c.1971 - APCM Melton Quarry, North Ferriby, East Yorkshire.

Best regards,

Rob.

• Like 19

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, everyone. This evening, with thanks again to John Turner, and Peter Brumby, on Flickr, for two photo’s, we see  Thompson, B16/3, 61418, by now allocated to Dairycoates shed, as it heads eastwards and approaches Brough station with this Class H train of coal. The coal is presumably destined for the fires of Hull. The date is about 1963.

c.1963 - Brough, East Yorkshire.

And the second photo’, is of Class B1, 61237, "Geoffrey H. Kitson", as it  approaches Brough with a Hull bound express, on the 21st June, 1959.

21/06/1959 - Brough, East Yorkshire.

Best regards,

Rob.

• Like 19

• RMweb Premium
17 hours ago, Andy Hayter said:

Was Sculcoates power station not still operational?

By '63 I would have thought smokeless rules would have been having an impact on household coal.

Not at all, my local station Botanic Gardens had a thriving coal merchants which my parents bought their coal from. Another depot, Ella Street coal yard was only 200 yards from our house and was shunted every morning until the early 70s.

Interestingly my primary and junior schools both had solid fuel boilers for heating, the 2 weekly bulk deliveries always provided a welcone distraction from lessons.

• Informative/Useful 2

20 hours ago, Market65 said:

Good evening, everyone, and thinking of smokeless rules, my grandmother, in Market Weighton, had a coal fire until she died in 1995. And, at Beverley station, the goods yard had coal cells until it closed in 1985. 

Ditto for a couple of places down the Esk Valley Line.

interestingly enough the last stationmaster at Grosmont Richard Cana left the railway and started a coal business which is still going today, his son sold the business fairly recently, but its roots are in the coal cells that used to be at Grosmont station

• Informative/Useful 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
32 minutes ago, Boris said:

Ditto for a couple of places down the Esk Valley Line.

interestingly enough the last stationmaster at Grosmont Richard Cana left the railway and started a coal business which is still going today, his son sold the business fairly recently, but its roots are in the coal cells that used to be at Grosmont station

Afternoon Boris 

When did thre business move out of grosmont yard? 

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, everyone. With thanks again to John Turner, and Peter Brumby, on Flickr, we have another couple of photo’s. The first one is of B1, 4-6-0, 61053, at Brough, with a class 1 passenger service to Hull, in June, 1959. The first carriage is a Thompson, non corridor, BS - Brake Second, with four second class compartments, and the second carriage is a Gresley, teak bodied, turn buckle trussed, Composite Lavatory - CL. All as modelled by Hornby. Note the small diameter smokebox door.

06/1959 - Brough.

The second photo’ is of class J39, 0-6-0, 64831, with a 3500 gallon tender, and a brake van, at Dairycoates, again in June, 1959. Note all the vans in the background.

06/1959 - Hull Dairycoates.

Best regards,

Rob.

• Like 18

Save the date, Saturday 13th May D9009 booked Kings Cross to Scarbados on a tour.  I'll be looking forward to seeing that.

It'll be some interesting workings at Scarborough that day with the depot in use and TPE regularly storing units in the station, at one point on Sunday every platform was full.

Edited by Boris
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, everyone, and many thanks, Boris, for the advance information about D9009, on the 13th May. All being well, I’ll make my way to Scarborough that day. I was in Scarborough on Sunday, and saw all those stored class 185’s in the station. The Hull service was using platform 1. 
Well, this evening, thanks again to John Turner, we have a couple of photo’s, starting with a four car class 124, towing a BR CCT, at Selby Street, in Hull, in March, 1984. The saloon heaters are working well with the smoke emanating from them. And the unit is emitting plenty of exhaust from the engines too. 

03/1984 - Hull (Selby Street).

The second photo’ is of Deltic, 55007, Pinza, at Hull Paragon with train, 1A13, the 09:36 to London King's Cross, on the 28th September, 1981.

28/09/1981 - Hull Paragon.

Best regards,

Rob.

• Like 19

1 hour ago, Market65 said:

Good evening, everyone, and many thanks, Boris, for the advance information about D9009, on the 13th May. All being well, I’ll make my way to Scarborough that day. I was in Scarborough on Sunday, and saw all those stored class 185’s in the station. The Hull service was using platform 1. 
Well, this evening, thanks again to John Turner, we have a couple of photo’s, starting with a four car class 124, towing a BR CCT, at Selby Street, in Hull, in March, 1984. The saloon heaters are working well with the smoke emanating from them. And the unit is emitting plenty of exhaust from the engines too. 

03/1984 - Hull (Selby Street).

The second photo’ is of Deltic, 55007, Pinza, at Hull Paragon with train, 1A13, the 09:36 to London King's Cross, on the 28th September, 1981.

28/09/1981 - Hull Paragon.

Best regards,

Rob.

The very little of the smoke is from the heaters, the vast majority that is coming from underneath is off the engines and the exhaust system.

• Informative/Useful 2