Photo's Of East Yorkshire Railways

3 hours ago, drmditch said:

Re: Hull  Dairycotes Mechanical Coaling Plant

Good Morning.

I note that you have several times referred to this plant as a 'cracker'. 

I know that it was an electrically powered plant constructed to an American design in 1916. There was a good article about it in the NERA Express a few years ago, which I haven't looked up yet.

Coal was dropped into an underground hopper and then a conveyor took it up to fill the hoppers at the top of the structure.

I have not seen any 'cracking' function mentioned, nor have I seen it referred to as such in published material. (At least that I can remember!)

Is this a local term, or did it have some function that I have not seen described?

It was always referred to as the the cracker by all the Dairycoates staff I worked with, both maintenance and footplate. I was led to believe that there was some form of coal grading in the facility.

Al Taylor

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, 45125 said:

It was always referred to as the the cracker by all the Dairycoates staff I worked with, both maintenance and footplate. I was led to believe that there was some form of coal grading in the facility.

Al Taylor

Thank you for the local knowledge.

• RMweb Gold

Conflicting memories from circa 1960 boyhood spotting. On visits to Gran in Cookridge, Leeds, Dad would take me down to Bramhope Tunnel and I vaguely remember what sounded like the start of Ilkla Moor… from the DMUs.  Equally I vaguely remember rumours drivers wanted an extra horn note so they could do Ilkla Moor..

Confusing, unless some unit horns could but others couldn’t so both are correct. All a long time ago now and memories fade,

Edited by john new
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold
14 hours ago, Market65 said:

Good evening, everyone. This evening, thanks to John Turner, on Flickr, we are at Hessle on the 16th July, 1964. We are seeing WD Austerity, 90407, on an up tank train, with 90450, on a down freight. 

16/07/1964 - Hessle, East Riding of Yorkshire.

And the second photo’, with thanks to John Turner, on Flickr, and Peter Brumby, we are looking at the line just west of Brough station, in about July, 1964. We see EE Type 3, later class 37, D6782, on an unidentified up passenger service. One comment to the photo’, on Flickr, mentions that drivers would play ‘On Ilkley Moor Bat’ At’, which made diesel trains instantly indentifiable from steam trains. If so, not now, since such blowing of the air horns is, I believe, frowned upon. 

c.07/1964 - Brough, East Yorkshire.

Best regards,

Rob.

Great pictures Rob,  my locos still occasionally blurt out ilkley Moor! 

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
13 hours ago, Market65 said:

Good evening, everyone, and I’ve enjoyed the two comments about blowing On Ilkey Moor on the air horns.

Now, this evening, with thanks to John Turner, on Flickr, we see an Ivatt 4MT, 2-6-0, 43077, trundling a short train of hoppers and mineral wagons through Stepney station and away from Hull's Victoria Dock, in about 1964.

c.1964 - Stepney, Hull, East Yorkshire.

And now, with apologies about the fuzziness of the photo’, with the same credit as before, we are seeing an unidentifiable Gresley K3, 2-6-0, running tender first, at Wincolmlee, with a Victoria Dock bound freight in circa September, 1961. The bow-girder bridge in the background carried the former Hull & Barnsley Railway's Cannon Street branch, over the tracks.

c.09/1991 - Wincolmlee, Hull.

Best regards,

Rob.

A couple of interesting photographs there Rob,  the top one has a type of miniature yellow subsidiary signal I've not seen before. 

The train in the bottom one looks like it may have just ran round as the guard appears to have left the side lamps on the van. Were those NER wooden hoppers still in service in 61?

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
14 hours ago, Market65 said:

Good evening, everyone, and I’ve enjoyed the two comments about blowing On Ilkey Moor on the air horns.

Now, this evening, with thanks to John Turner, on Flickr, we see an Ivatt 4MT, 2-6-0, 43077, trundling a short train of hoppers and mineral wagons through Stepney station and away from Hull's Victoria Dock, in about 1964.

c.1964 - Stepney, Hull, East Yorkshire.

And now, with apologies about the fuzziness of the photo’, with the same credit as before, we are seeing an unidentifiable Gresley K3, 2-6-0, running tender first, at Wincolmlee, with a Victoria Dock bound freight in circa September, 1961. The bow-girder bridge in the background carried the former Hull & Barnsley Railway's Cannon Street branch, over the tracks.

c.09/1991 - Wincolmlee, Hull.

Best regards,

Rob.

It looks like one of the LNER built ones with the steel end stanchions.  So 36 years old or so by that point.

Simon

Simon

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, russ p said:

A couple of interesting photographs there Rob,  the top one has a type of miniature yellow subsidiary signal I've not seen before. 

Some very similar signal heads could be (still can be?) seen at Glasgow Central although I don't think they were in use as miniature yellows there.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, russ p said:

The train in the bottom one looks like it may have just ran round as the guard appears to have left the side lamps on the van. Were those NER wooden hoppers still in service in 61?

It doesn't look like that single wagon was a one off.  Here are some still in service up at South Pelaw in the same year:

NS205248.jpg

BR British Railways Steam Locomotive Class Q6 63418 at South Pelaw in 1961 - 10/06/1961 - Neville Stead Collection (thetransportlibrary.co.uk)

Simon

• Like 9
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, 65179 said:

It doesn't look like that single wagon was a one off.  Here are some still in service up at South Pelaw in the same year:

NS205248.jpg

BR British Railways Steam Locomotive Class Q6 63418 at South Pelaw in 1961 - 10/06/1961 - Neville Stead Collection (thetransportlibrary.co.uk)

Simon

Any ideas what the wooden opens are between the 21 tonners?

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, russ p said:

Any ideas what the wooden opens are between the 21 tonners?

The end of the headstocks aren't as prominent as I'd expect, but by this date my best guess is that they are a couple of 13T 8 plank hoppers to LNER diagram 72. The straight sided precursor of the better known diagram 137s where the sides slope in over the depth of the bottom 2 planks.

Diagram 72 here: https://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/lnermineral/h162ac872

Diagram 137 here: https://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/lnermineral/h12a64c39

Regards,

Simon

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
On 19/01/2023 at 19:19, Market65 said:

Good evening, everyone. This evening, with thanks once more to John Turner, on Flickr, we have a couple of photo’s. The first one shows an English Electric, "Type 3", Co-Co, D6758, as it heads a westbound freight, train 3V05, at Hessle, circa August, 1964. Someone has indentified the train as the 3.30 pm Hull to Plymouth fish (SX).

c.08/1964 - Hessle, East Riding of Yorkshire.

And now the second photo’ is of WD Austerity, 90478, as it heads an up train, near to Hessle, of empty hoppers for Hessle Quarry, in circa 1964. The grubby WD is producing plenty of steam and smoke.

c.1964 - near Hessle, East Yorkshire.

Best regards,

Rob.

Fish to Plymouth - Coals to Newcastle!  Maybe a fish stock balancing working between the North Sea and Atlantic Ocean?

• Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
42 minutes ago, coronach said:

Fish to Plymouth - Coals to Newcastle!  Maybe a fish stock balancing working between the North Sea and Atlantic Ocean?

Same thought went through my mind .

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, coronach said:

An interesting comparison.

Like coal, there are many varieties and uses for fish:

North Sea;  Herring, white fish (cod, haddock, Skate)

English Channel; Sardine/Pilchard, Sea Bass, some herring but at a different time of the year, plaice, sole and other flat fish.

None of this 100% exclusive of course but I don't think Mrs Smith in Plymouth was quite ready to order sea bass and chips from the chippy in the mid 1900s.  

Edit:  Just to clarify the coal comparison.  There have been discussions as to why we see pictures of coal trains travelling from Yorkshire to Lancashire and at the same time pictures of coal trains between Lancashire and Yorkshire.   The reason- different types of coal.  Coal was almost certainly taken to Newcastle - if only anthracite for the brewing and malting industries.

Edited by Andy Hayter
clarification
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2

4 hours ago, Andy Hayter said:

An interesting comparison.

Like coal, there are many varieties and uses for fish:

North Sea;  Herring, white fish (cod, haddock, Skate)

English Channel; Sardine/Pilchard, Sea Bass, some herring but at a different time of the year, plaice, sole and other flat fish.

None of this 100% exclusive of course but I don't think Mrs Smith in Plymouth was quite ready to order sea bass and chips from the chippy in the mid 1900s.  

Edit:  Just to clarify the coal comparison.  There have been discussions as to why we see pictures of coal trains travelling from Yorkshire to Lancashire and at the same time pictures of coal trains between Lancashire and Yorkshire.   The reason- different types of coal.  Coal was almost certainly taken to Newcastle - if only anthracite for the brewing and malting industries.

The Hull Plymouth train would carry various white fish from the North Atlantic, the White Sea. This would be conveyed to various fish merchants along the route. Some fish merchants would have a wagon purely with their purchase in it. Not only would there be wagons foe along the route but others for attachment to services that fed other places, ie Fishguard, Whitland and the south coast. By the time it reached Plymouth it would be down to a few vans including some from Grimsby etc which would attached at possibly Banbury orLeicester.

Al Taylor

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 4