Photo's Of East Yorkshire Railways

• RMweb Gold

Good afternoon, everyone. This afternoon we have a change of closed railway and go to Pocklington, courtesy of the railwayarchitecture.org.uk website and a photo’ which shows a view of the footbridge, goods warehouse, and the line going away to Market Weighton, in it’s final summer of use, 1965. 

image.jpeg.b0940c1c5747b3866b2012f285f1eca5.jpeg

Best regards,

Rob.

• Like 14

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, everyone. This evening we stay on the Market Weighton to York and go to Warthill station, and, over the next few nights we will take a good look around thanks to the stocktonontheforest.org.uk website and a good number of photo’s from a Mr. Elsworth.

The first photo’ tonight, is from the down platform, looking to York, in about 1955. The level crossing had been modernised by then with the lifting barriers, the very first ones on BR.

image.jpeg.ca0fdb13ec0778904f29879f91285192.jpeg

This second photo’ shows a close up view of the Station Master’s house bay window and the signalbox. Again the photo’ dates from c1955.

image.jpeg.8e9ec7442681c7e8aa6a0595d59b3062.jpeg

Best regards,

Rob.

Edited by Market65
To insert a word.
  • Like 17

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Market65 said:

Good evening, everyone. This evening we stay on the Market Weighton to York and go to Warthill station, and, over the next few nights we will take a good look around thanks to the stocktonontheforest.org.uk website and a good number of photo’s from a Mr. Elsworth.

The first photo’ tonight, is from the down platform, looking to York, in about 1955. The level crossing had been modernised by then with the lifting barriers, the very first ones on BR.

image.jpeg.ca0fdb13ec0778904f29879f91285192.jpeg

This second photo’ shows a close up view of the Station Master’s house bay window and the signalbox. Again the photo’ dates from c1955.

image.jpeg.8e9ec7442681c7e8aa6a0595d59b3062.jpeg

Best regards,

Rob.

Evening Rob 

Great pictures,  I knew warthill an early barrier installation didn't realise it was the first.  We're they mechanical or electrical in operation 

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, micknich2003 said:

A few weeks ago Withensea was the topic of conversation and a question was raised about the use of a full size arm reading off the turntable. In the meantime a Weekly Operating Notice as come to light. Wed 26 October 19655, No2 signal renewed as Upper Quadrant. Not conclusive, but stating, now UQ, suggests it was the original signal of 1904 that was replaced. It was still "Full Size" in 1929, see attached.

Sent from my iPad

Withernsea East end.jpg

WITHERNSEA 1929.jpg

Cheers Mick

Sounds right replace S and T then shut the line! 

Still can't get my head round two signals protecting a set of hand points . That's also unusual having those on what still seems to be the running line upto the stops

• Agree 1

Thank you for the fascinating picture above. What do you think the vehicle/vehicles are above the locomotive's buffer beam.

Are they two G2 vans, and the angle of the shot means that we can't see the end of the rearmost van?

Or, and this would be more exciting is it a G4 Road Van?

If the later, then the roof doors are arranged diagonally opposite each other.

Do you have any idea of the date of the picture?

12 minutes ago, drmditch said:

Thank you for the fascinating picture above. What do you think the vehicle/vehicles are above the locomotive's buffer beam.

Are they two G2 vans, and the angle of the shot means that we can't see the end of the rearmost van?

If the later, then the roof doors are arranged diagonally opposite each other.

Do you have any idea of the date of the picture?

Date of picture 1929...

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, drmditch said:

Yes.  Zooming in on the photo, there's only one wagon's worth of axleboxes and brake lever.  The only photograph I've seen of one in LNER livery.

Also interesting is that the adjacent coal wagon is so branded.  Not usually thought necessary, as far as I'm aware.

D

Russ, we need to know the thinking of the c1904 designers, they certainly had some different ideas in those far off days. The whole layout raises interesting question, why a 70 lever locking frame? Another quirk, an Up Distant could not with the station being a terminus  be provided, yet the relevant lever No1 was spare. A friend suggests there could have been plans for future developments.  Yours, Mick.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, everyone, and thank you, Mick, for the photo’ of the barriers at Warthill, along with those excellent photo’s of Withernsea. Such a lot of material is coming forward these days, and it is very gratifying. 
Well, this evening, it’s more of Warthill thanks again to the stocktonontheforest.org.uk site and Mr. Elsworth. The first photo’ shows the sweeping vista of the railway from the down platform in c1955. It is looking to Stamford Bridge.

image.jpeg.75f19f61826d7d57c800145e9b593300.jpeg

The next photo’ is a view of those lifting barriers complete with the swivelling Stop signs, soon after having been installed in 1953.

image.jpeg.b699f9efcb1f5515fe041b8571c34e9b.jpeg

Best regards,

Rob.

• Like 13

16 hours ago, Darryl Tooley said:

Also interesting is that the adjacent coal wagon is so branded.  Not usually thought necessary, as far as I'm aware.

D

Looking at the coal wagon I noticed that the brake lever was left handed and the white diagonal stripe denoting the end door had been recently added. Were there any instructions to replace the brake lever, or did those so fitted carry them to their graves? I was aware the white stripe predated the start of WW2, but I don’t know when the practice started.

2 hours ago, Nick Holliday said:

Were there any instructions to replace the brake lever, or did those so fitted carry them to their graves? I was aware the white stripe predated the start of WW2, but I don’t know when the practice started.

The Board of Trade gave the railways until 1938 to fit all wagons with a right-handed lever brake on both sides.  A red full-length diagonal was applied to LMS and LNER end-door mineral wagons from 1924, changing to white from early 1926, and including SR wagons from that point.  The diagonal was applied to the washer plate at the appropriate end from mid-1938.

D

• Informative/Useful 5

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, everyone. So for this evening, we stay at Warthill, with thanks again to the stocktonontheforest.org.uk site and Mr. Elsworth. The first photo’ shows a view, of the barriers, from the 31st August, 1959, by C.J.Woolstenholmes, BR (NER). It shows the somewhat simplified arrangements as made that year following the relaxation of some of the requirements for manned controlled barriers in 1957 by the MoT&CA.

image.jpeg.4927b4566ec62189019579227eb287cd.jpeg

And now a photo’ by M.Mitchell, of class B1, 61122, working the 10.10 a.m., from York to Hull, on the 7th August, 1957.

image.jpeg.88a75a1bd341105ccbaaaec98db30ead.jpeg

Best regards,

Rob.

• Like 12

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, everyone. So for this evening, we stay at Warthill, with thanks again to the stocktonontheforest.org.uk site and Mr. Elsworth. The first photo’ shows a view, of the barriers, from the 31st August, 1959, by C.J.Woolstenholmes, BR (NER). It shows the somewhat simplified arrangements as made that year following the relaxation of some of the requirements for manned controlled barriers in 1957 by the MoT&CA.

image.jpeg.4927b4566ec62189019579227eb287cd.jpeg

And now a photo’ by M.Mitchell, of class B1, 61122, working the 10.10 a.m., from York to Hull, on the 7th August, 1957.

image.jpeg.88a75a1bd341105ccbaaaec98db30ead.jpeg

Best regards,

Rob.

Evening  Rob,  so the stop sign went and the lights got bigger 

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, everyone, and russ p, you’re quite right, and also large reflectors were added onto each barrier too. Now, this evening with thanks again to the stocktonontheforest.org.uk site and Mr. Elsworth, we take a look at the gardens and two of the station staff, with Maurice Emberson on the left and possibly David Clark on the right? The photo’ is believed todate from the late 1950’s.

image.jpeg.73de172a0fb4840b448734284628445b.jpeg

Best regards,

Rob.

• Like 8

Russ, reverting to the use of a Full Size arm at Withernsea. A few years previous Hornsea was also resignalled, and one finds two Full Size arms used as shunt signals and for a similar purpose to those at Withernsea. See attached diagram, I do have pictures, but typicaly I can't find them.

HORNSEA 1898.jpg

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, everyone, and russ p, you’re quite right, and also large reflectors were added onto each barrier too. Now, this evening with thanks again to the stocktonontheforest.org.uk site and Mr. Elsworth, we take a look at the gardens and two of the station staff, with Maurice Emberson on the left and possibly David Clark on the right? The photo’ is believed todate from the late 1950’s.

image.jpeg.73de172a0fb4840b448734284628445b.jpeg

Best regards,

Rob.

Warthill was also the interchange with the Sand Hutton Light Railway. See Wikipedia for some photos and a description.  https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sand_Hutton_Light_Railway  Other websites and books too.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, micknich2003 said:

Russ, reverting to the use of a Full Size arm at Withernsea. A few years previous Hornsea was also resignalled, and one finds two Full Size arms used as shunt signals and for a similar purpose to those at Withernsea. See attached diagram, I do have pictures, but typicaly I can't find them.

HORNSEA 1898.jpg

Morning Mick 

Another weird one, if you saw that on a model or a preserved railway you would think it was just wrong

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, everyone. This evening we have a change and go down the line to Fangfoss station, in what looks like 1947. It is from the pocklingtonhistory.com website and the photo’ is by Ted Westmorland. The engine is an LNER  ex-GNR Atlantic and is hauling a passenger train from Hull to York. The smelly lamproom is on the right - it apparently stank of paraffin.

image.png.e27f212c42c31e2b5d3213d574c0babc.png

Best regards,

Rob.

• Like 11

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, micknich2003 said:

An LNERly photo' of 1937 taken during the Hull  Paragon resignalling. The signals date from 1904/5 and were power worked (EP), also of interest is the ex NERly Ballast Brake.

PARAGON, looking west 1937.  .jpg

A very interesting photo Mick, thanks for posting. On closer examination, it seems that the left-most signal on top of the gantry has both the 'main' arm and 'shunt/calling-on' arm both off together. Was this normal practice? My understanding is that one or the other would be off, but not both at the same time.

Also, the 'Automobile Purchases Ltd' painted advertisement on the end of the building can't be missed, nor can the 'Hull' sign - do you know if the 'Hull' sign was provided by the LNER (can't quite see which side of the boundary it is) or was it a local council provided sign - either way it seems rather large!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
40 minutes ago, iands said:

A very interesting photo Mick, thanks for posting. On closer examination, it seems that the left-most signal on top of the gantry has both the 'main' arm and 'shunt/calling-on' arm both off together. Was this normal practice? My understanding is that one or the other would be off, but not both at the same time.

Also, the 'Automobile Purchases Ltd' painted advertisement on the end of the building can't be missed, nor can the 'Hull' sign - do you know if the 'Hull' sign was provided by the LNER (can't quite see which side of the boundary it is) or was it a local council provided sign - either way it seems rather large!

I think both main arm and subsidiary off at the same time seems to have been a "North Eastern" thing, you can see similar in pictures taken at York and Newcastle.  No doubt Mick will know better than me but I think the idea was that the driver didn't pass an arm at danger (did the  sub arms have a red glass)?

There were large running in signs elsewhere on the ex North Eastern lines, not sure whether it was an LNER thing; the white YORK lettering on the up side by Holgate Bridge is quite well known but there is (was?) a big HARROGATE sign (not as big as the Hull one) on the concrete retaining wall at the Leeds end, on the up side, in BR (NER) tangerine and white, certainly visible a few years ago although I haven't been past there for a bit.

• Informative/Useful 1