• RMweb Gold

Hi, Sevenoaks is getting better everytime I look, some great modelling. Looking on google at the view up Tubs Hill it's changed a lot from how I remember it!!! A view up Tubs Hill partially obscured by trees might help with the transition from bridge, to background. all the best Adrian.  

post-17489-0-48987800-1448873844.jpg

Thanks Adrian, much appreciated. Funnily enough that was exactly the kind of thing I had in mind - the trees should hopefully soften the transition where the bridge meets the wall. I need to go and get a decent photograph at the right angle now - easier said than done with the weather we're having down here lately! :O

Hello peeps - I realised looking back over my recent posts, the distinct lack of trains in most of the pics!

So in the hope of injecting a bit of atmosphere, I took a few shots of a VSOE train passing through the bridge (Lima Class 73 + Hornby pullman coaches) - after a bit of cheap photoshoppery, it ended up looking quite evocative! I do like the Lima Class 73, but am really looking forward to the Dapol one :)

post-23547-0-60949400-1449014663_thumb.jpg

• Like 12

What an excellent bit of luck, just stumbled across this superb thread. :O

What a fantastic layout. Have just spent an enjoyable hour reading from the start.

I know others have said it but I fell I must say also that the platforms, along with the rest of the layout, look stunning. A tutorial on how you have ended up with such great platforms would be greatly appreciated by me and I am sure other "Webbers".

The curvature of the track work and platforms flow really well too and I love the junctions. This is going to be one hell of an interesting layout to operate, and I would think quite challenging too looking at the "whole" layout plan earlier in the thread.

Will follow and look forward to your continued excellence.

Superb stuff

Hi Paul - thanks very much for your kind comments and encouragement - really glad you've enjoyed the thread, and really appreciate the kind words! A few people have remarked on the platforms so I will try and do a tutorial on how I did them - I've learned a few things along the way that may or may not be useful to others so I'm hoping to start a youtube channel for the layout in the next few weeks.

As you say this will be a challenging layout to operate - I realised that when I started doing the wiring! It is designed to facilitate 'out and back' routes and there is a lot of flexibility in the routings, but this has been at the expense of storage space. I originally had a double level layout in mind, with storage on the lower level and the scenic areas on top, but it ended up being far too ambitious and complex!

Anyway thanks again for the kind words, good to have you on board and hopefully there will be lots more updates to follow :)

Edited by tjf4375
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Thanks Rich, much appreciated. I've not really had a lot of time to work on it for the last few months due to work and other commitments but I'm getting back to it now. At the moment the embankment leading from the station to the tunnel entrance is being worked on so I will post pics as soon as it's looking a bit more interesting! Happy Christmas! :)

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Hi folks,

Happy New Year and hope you're all well. Just thought I'd post a quick update on Sevenoaks. Quite a bit of time has passed since any major work on the layout, but the project is alive and well and I'm back working on it again. For a bit of a change, I've moved away from the station area for the time being, to the southern end of the station where I've been doing a bit of landscaping. Not a great deal to show just yet but I've taken a few shots of a couple of things I've been working on.

post-23547-0-57270200-1484428596_thumb.jpg

Just south of the platforms, where the concrete wall and steps are. I've started the landscaping climbing away and up the embankment. Experimenting with ground cover but most of this will be covered with trees and shrubs!

post-23547-0-19374500-1484428597_thumb.jpg

Another view looking southbound - the embankment continues to climb upwards as the track curves round. This will be covered with plaster cloth before painting, ground cover and finally trees and foliage

post-23547-0-84189500-1484428597_thumb.jpg

The tunnel portal. This is actually facing in the wrong direction in the photo as I couldn't get the lighting levels right! It will be pointing the opposite way when in its final position. Lots of weathering to do next, a lot of it will be covered with ivy, moss and dirt. Once its in place and the embankment built up to it, I'll post some more pics!

Sorry there's not a great deal to show just now but hope you like the pics and I'd welcome any comments, feedback and criticism! :)

• Like 11

• RMweb Gold

Hi there - yes it is the Bachmann model indeed, a work in progress! Sorry about the late reply, been offline with other projects for a while but back on Sevenoaks now and more updates to come soon.

Sadly the 74 headcode is a Chatham route number, rather than SER, being I think Dover - Victoria. 4 would be better. That earlier pic of the Pullman train coming under the bridge is just brilliant. Really feels like "the S'oaks".

Sadly the 74 headcode is a Chatham route number, rather than SER, being I think Dover - Victoria. 4 would be better. That earlier pic of the Pullman train coming under the bridge is just brilliant. Really feels like "the S'oaks".

He he thanks Ian :) You're right of course. It was only there to give the picture a sense of scale - there's so much wrong with the layout at the moment, I'm a long way off the stage where I need to be worrying about headcodes! :)

Hi tjf4375, what a great job you have made of the tunnel portal it looks really good. All the best Adrian.

Cheers Adrian, much appreciated :)