Heljan Class 25 in 7mm

Jack

Well, I've just checked my customers locos and they all have the infamous screw hole in the roof. Anyone else?

Hmmmmmm ... just dug mine out again and had a look ..... yes there is a ####ing screw hole in my blue model roof as well  :ireful: ..... I feel that Heljan don't have try it on sometimes ?

Craig.

I'm struggling to understand why one manufacturer is suffering so much flack on a model that has not yet been released, while this shocking QC error gets away almost totally free from criticism or comment...

I thought everyone was being very complimentary about your forthcoming release.   :jester:

About to do the sound install in mine once I get home at the weekend and was wondering if anyone has solved the mystery of getting into the fuel tank to fit a speaker as mentioned in the destructions. Not had chance to see what needs doing but pre warned is pre armed. :locomotive:

About to do the sound install in mine once I get home at the weekend and was wondering if anyone has solved the mystery of getting into the fuel tank to fit a speaker as mentioned in the destructions. Not had chance to see what needs doing but pre warned is pre armed. :locomotive:

Even if it was possible to get a speaker in the tanks, it would be very small and of poor quality. I really don't understand why 7mm manufacturers still seem to believe that everyone uses 28mm round speakers. You can see my solution on my workbench thread. It sounds superb with a pair ofor 40x28 Alan Butchers with properly sealed enclosures.

I ended up breaking the fuel tank off and having to glue it back in place....the instructions that come with the loco are a waste of time. There's ample room for a nice big speaker inside the body, which is far better anyway.

Changing the subject, having just applied them I can highly recommend the numbering transfers from Jackson Evans.

Peter

Edited by kirtleypete

Have a look on my Talyllyn thread, I've just fitted an ESU V4.0L Loksound to my class 25. I've used two bass reflex speakers that I've bought in from China (I do have some stock as well).

I've shown a blow by blow of the installation as well as a video of the completed thing. 

All I need to do is find out if the V4.0L has the ESU 'Autotune' feature to adjust the motor parameters.

Jinty ;) 

Hmmmmmm ... just dug mine out again and had a look ..... yes there is a ####ing screw hole in my blue model roof as well  :ireful: ..... I feel that Heljan don't have try it on sometimes ?

Craig.

I was blissfully unaware that the afore mentioned hole was`nt supposed to be there!. :resent:

Oh well, it`ll soon disapear with the planned mod`s and weathering.....

Brian.

I was blissfully unaware that the afore mentioned hole was`nt supposed to be there!. :resent:

Oh well, it`ll soon disapear with the planned mod`s and weathering.....

Brian.

Good morning Brian, I know what you mean, and yes I have the ability to make mine disappear, but what grinds me at the moment with Heljan is these aren't cheap models, and they are brand new models, but Heljan just seem to keep ignoring the little niggles and still send them out, and it's not just the 25, other niggles with other models have been noted in other threads.

I don't want to sound like a moaning Git as Heljan have grasped the nettle and been a god send for RTR 7mm modelling, but I think their QC issues do need tightening up.

If you bought a new appliance from an Eecltrical retailer and you unpacked to find a screw hole through the front panel of you cooker or fridge freezer I am sure it would be back on its way to the retailer next day, as to me it's a brand new item and I shouldn't have to put up with defective workmanship straight out of the factory.

In a way we are our own worse enemies by saying "oh dear that's annoying but I will just fix it anyway", I suppose if we do keep doing this Heljan will keep selling us models with little niggles for us to rectify.

Best regards

Craig

Edited by muddys-blues

I too have played a 'waiting game' on the Class 25 rather than jumping in - my usual impulsive nature.

I'm really glad that I have restrained myself, because every time I have seen a photo (for some reason, Jintyman's excepted) of the Heljan Class 25 flat face, it really jars.... (I called it right for the peaked cap 4mm Western).

I'm convinced that Heljan have (yet again) scored an 'own goal' that has been (luckily for them) offset by the 'probably' COINCIDENTAL similarity to a Derby-built loco. I bet they are very relieved that someone noticed a similarity.

I sort of understand that they try to cater for transition period modellers but I bet that they'd sell MANY more if they stepped back and thought about it a bit more and produced a variant that most modern modellers would accept and favour. How many are passing on the Class 25?...I believe there are far more diesel-era modellers out there who would move up to 7mm scale if Heljan had chosen correctly than the number of sales they are likely to make to their transition market.

Randall

Edited by RandyWales
  • Like 1

But how many diesel era modellers don't read this or are not bothered and will or have already bought the Class 25. It will sell. The Western sold out, the Brush 4 sold out and that was supposedly wrong, all of them have sold out.

A boycott of a few members on here will make no difference.

….I'm convinced that Heljan have (yet again) scored an 'own goal' that has been (luckily for them) offset by the 'probably' COINCIDENTAL similarity to a Derby-built loco. I bet they are very relieved that someone noticed a similarity...

I could almost buy into that theory.  The only way to know for sure is to check works drawings for the Derby build.

I bought one because to me it looked a good representation, and I do not have any pre-history with the class, having paid little attention to the real thing, so I am quite happy.

To others who have a greater familiarity with the class I can appreciate it may well not look right, and that is a good reason not to get one.

I asked Heljan at a show if they had used official drawings and got a smile and a kind of non-committal nod - so who knows.

Someone out there has a copy of a works drawing and knows the answer…... :blind:

Edited by Osgood

My model looks like a 25, from what I saw and heard the other day up the coast from me, Jintyman's models looks and sound likes a 25, that 2 I have seen in the flesh so my conclusion for my own opinion of what I am happy with it will run on my layout as a 25.

Craig

Edited by muddys-blues

Err, the pictures above are of 25 059, a Derby build.....

Without wishing to stir unduly, the bottom photo, i.e. the one looking upwards, seems to show that the curve on the bottom edge isn't symmetric, particularly if compared to the straight line at the top of the fairing where the doors were. As this feature is in the centre of the shot, it is unlikely to be explainable by camera distortion, but like so many things wouldn't really be noticeable except from one particular angle.

It might in any case be a replacement front, built who knows where and by whom. If these things weren't jig built, presumably there's scope for variation anyway.

I write this as someone who has followed the thread with interest, but doesn't own a Heljan 25, although they do look quite cute!

John.

I'm really glad that I have restrained myself, because every time I have seen a photo (for some reason, Jintyman's excepted) of the Heljan Class 25 flat face, it really jars.... 

Hi Randall, 

Firstly thank you for what I perceive to be a compliment about the 'look' of my Heljan 25, Secondly, I'd like to know what has set mine aside from others? Is it simply the weathering that has toned down the whole thing and took the eye away from the 'jarring' parts, or is it the scenics my photos were taken in.

I think sometimes our eyes can play tricks on us, and when the brain is given masses of information to digest, I feel it can be the outlook of an individual that can determine what is 'seen' in a picture, rather than what is physically there. The whole picture distorting the niggling faults into something more believable.

I find this subject interesting, as from what is said above, a locomotive that isn't quite right can suddenly look acceptable.

Whilst I also accept that, even with a few errors, Heljan will sell out of these, just like the other locos that they've made in the past have, I think that I agree that if they thought about the bigger picture a bit more, they might find a few more strings to their bow. They've obviously listened to the modeller about a centre head code 37, as we're going to see one in 2017 from them, maybe they'd think of reworking the 25/1 into a 25/1 Darlington build or even a 25/3 in the future, who knows. What I personally know is that I'm quite happy with what I've got from the Heljan stable up to now, yes they're not perfect, but generally, they are a reasonable representation, and with just a little work, they can be lifted even further.

Jinty ;) 

• Like 1

Hi Randall, 

Firstly thank you for what I perceive to be a compliment about the 'look' of my Heljan 25, Secondly, I'd like to know what has set mine aside from others? Is it simply the weathering that has toned down the whole thing and took the eye away from the 'jarring' parts, or is it the scenics my photos were taken in.

I think sometimes our eyes can play tricks on us, and when the brain is given masses of information to digest, I feel it can be the outlook of an individual that can determine what is 'seen' in a picture, rather than what is physically there. The whole picture distorting the niggling faults into something more believable.

I find this subject interesting, as from what is said above, a locomotive that isn't quite right can suddenly look acceptable.

Whilst I also accept that, even with a few errors, Heljan will sell out of these, just like the other locos that they've made in the past have, I think that I agree that if they thought about the bigger picture a bit more, they might find a few more strings to their bow. They've obviously listened to the modeller about a centre head code 37, as we're going to see one in 2017 from them, maybe they'd think of reworking the 25/1 into a 25/1 Darlington build or even a 25/3 in the future, who knows. What I personally know is that I'm quite happy with what I've got from the Heljan stable up to now, yes they're not perfect, but generally, they are a reasonable representation, and with just a little work, they can be lifted even further.

Jinty ;)

Hi Jinty...

It is most definitely a compliment, and your insightful summary about the reasons (each of them apply) that may have influenced me is spot-on.

I don't think I actually said I wouldn't buy one.....and in case members are thinking I am foolish basing an opinion on photographs, I did see the pre-production BR Blue version at Bristol earlier this year and I had the same thought then that it looked too flat.

My point (not clearly made it seems) was that Heljan (if the choice was deliberate and it's supposed Derby-built appearance not just coincidental in retrospect) could have easily have chosen a variant that would have sold like wildfire...and not only single purchases....but multiple...

I am currently waiting the chance to buy JLTRT Class 47 which will be my first attempt at a Waterman kit.

I may then opt to buy a JLTRT Class 25.

Mind you, if someone were to offer a blue Heljan Class 47 for sale at a sensible price, I may decide to overturn my objections to Heljan locomotives' appearance and then probably end up buying the Class 25 too....

After all, I have already converted my Heljan Class 37 to centre headcode so I should be able to transform the face of the Class 25....

I have already thought about whether using HEAT to coax the face into a more acceptable shape is feasible.

I've done that too with some stock...

Randall