Revolution Ben

• RMweb Gold

Hello all,

Just to show we are not totally distracted by talk of new items we have been working through the drawings and data sent by Eversholt ready to start work on the 320/321 CADs.

post-420-0-59908900-1458386138_thumb.jpeg

These drawings will be combined with data and photographs from a research trip we have arranged for this coming week, where we will be allowed to get good quality close-up photographs of all the underframe components and also take some key measurements that we think will be useful.

Naturally once the factory have produced CADs we will post them on our website and as ever would very much welcome feedback from our customers and supporters.

Cheers

Ben A.

• Like 3

Hello all,

Just to show we are not totally distracted by talk of new items we have been working through the drawings and data sent by Eversholt ready to start work on the 320/321 CADs.

attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

These drawings will be combined with data and photographs from a research trip we have arranged for this coming week, where we will be allowed to get good quality close-up photographs of all the underframe components and also take some key measurements that we think will be useful.

Naturally once the factory have produced CADs we will post them on our website and as ever would very much welcome feedback from our customers and supporters.

Cheers

Ben A.

Nice one Ben. What I really like about Revolution trains is the honest updates and yours and Mike's commitment to these projects. They progress swiftly and accurately into the superb models we have now had a chance to see and look forward to running on our layouts.

Keep up the excellent work!

Best regards,

Jeremy

Hi Gang,

Whilst we are all speculating.....

I'm going with a Drax Biomass wagon...given the geographical launch venue.

Of course, I could be wrong...I have been in the past.

Latr,

Stu from EGDL.

Come back wallet. I don't want to buy more than 12. Please come back.

Would be a good wagon to do and as long as it come in at around the TEA would be a massive seller.

But anyway back to the 321's.

Alistair

• RMweb Gold

Hi Cmax,

The Hitachi 800 would be wonderful and I know Rapido would do an amazing job of it, but our aim primarily is to find niche models that the major manufacturers aren't doing; and I cannot believe that the HItachi units won't attract the attention of the big boys.

Mind you, if it goes to Hornby like the Pendolino that probably means OO only (since they seem utterly uninterested in following up the Arnold Brighton Bellle) since Bachmann would probably be uninterested in an N gauge model only. In that case we could look at it.

Of course, that does not stop someone else trying a crowd funded N gauge model...

Cheers

Ben A.

Edited by Ben A
  • Like 2

Hi Cmax,

The Hitachi 800 would be wonderful and I know Rapido would do an amazing job of it, but our aim primarily is to find niche models that the major manufacturers aren't doing; and I cannot believe that the HItachi units won't attract the attention of the big boys.

Mind you, if it goes to Hornby like the Pendolino that probably means OO only (since they seem utterly uninterested in following up the Arnold Brighton Bellle) since Bachmann would probably be uninterested in an N gauge model only. In that case we could look at it.

Of course, that does not stop someone else trying a crowd funded N gauge model...

Cheers

Ben A.

Hi Ben,

Thank you for the reply, If it came down to Bachmann or yourselves doing the model, well I know who I would rather produce it.......and it doesn't begin with B....or a G.

Crowd funding, I will leave that to the experts......

Look forward to seeing you at York.

Regards

Gary.

Not wanting to further drag this 321 thread off course into a full wish list, but something I'd seriously urge Ben and Mike to look into should Revolution continue to grow, are the network rail wagons and units. The startling level of sales I've achieved with my 3D printed range seems to suggest there's definite mileage in producing anything yellow.

The MRAs are already in OO from Dapol but are very much in demand for N, while the Harsco rail grinder in RTR would I suspect be very popular. Equally, although it doesn't run in the UK anymore, the UFM 160 inspection units would appeal to the EU market (even given the scale difference, I have good sales from Germany and The Netherlands as they love anything yellow on their layouts!)

David

post-6666-0-20513100-1458549712.png

• RMweb Gold

Hi David,

Those are great suggestions, and I would very much like to look at these types of vehicles in time.  They very much fit with our "niche" target.

Ironically, the one thing that *might* put us off is the success of your models - have you satisfied the market I wonder?

cheers

Ben A.

Interesting news.

If the next planned product is "niche" yet carries sufficient confidence of success to simply open the book for orders it is intriguing indeed

Although I accept it is unlikely based on Ben and Mike's plans to date I would love to see something with "nod" to the steam/diesel N transition market, even if it's survival to later times were the prime motivation for producing it.

Whatever it is I think it is a measure of Mike and Ben's growing insight based on their success to date that they feel able to do it that way.

Roy

To me, niche either means very few exist, or the ones that do exist operate in a very defined area or time period.

To me, track machines/tampers etc are niche in another way, ie most modellers are more interested in the more celebrated express trains and heavy freight, so woulx there be a big enough market for something like that?

I may be totally off the mark, I'm basing that purely on my interests and the lack of seeing such models on other layouts, but that could be a chicken and egg scenario.

• RMweb Gold

Hello all,

For me niche is pretty simple:  So far at least, it has meant models that, when I have suggested them to the major manufacturers, I have been told would not sell in sufficient numbers.

I took this to mean that unless we as modellers make them happen, they won't happen.

This has included:

Pendolino - "too many different bodyshells, and overhead electrics don't sell..."

TEA tanker - "too similar to existing models, and modern freight wagons don't sell.."

Class 321 - "too humdrum, and overhead electrics don't sell..."

Class 21/9 - "we are not convinced there is a market for such an unsuccessful prototype that was limited to a brief stint on GE lines and Scotland..." (given our experience they were right about this one!)

And to be fair, they were pretty much right about the Pendolino too - I don't think we will sell as many as Farish, say, would need to do to make it worthwhile their investing; we can only do it because we are going to a willing manufacturer with the money already raised.

That, in some ways, is what surprises me about the 319 announcement.  But I am no less delighted!

cheers

Ben A.

• Like 2

Maybe not the biomass wagons after all then. After seeing (admittedly few) very keen modellers drop the best part of £2k on a rake of Hornby ones, I'm sure plenty of manufacturers would be keen to do them!

Plus copyright issues with the Drax logos maybe.

I'm changing my guess, given your definition of niche - Class 90

Maybe not the biomass wagons after all then. After seeing (admittedly few) very keen modellers drop the best part of £2k on a rake of Hornby ones, I'm sure plenty of manufacturers would be keen to do them!

Plus copyright issues with the Drax logos maybe.

I'm changing my guess, given your definition of niche - Class 90

My guess is a Class 90 or 92 then!

With Bachmann planning an OO 90 then a 90 would not fall within the criteria Ben stated previously as Bachmann could (and probably will) do one in N. The 92 on the other hand could be a condender as it is doubtful Hornby would do an N one and the Lima/Hornby mouldings in OO are quite old now too.

• RMweb Premium

My guess is a Class 90 or 92 then!

I still can't imagine it being a loco, given how quickly the TEAs hit their required level of interest (unsurprising with people buying 10-15+ of them) I'll stick with a wagon. Seems a safer bet from Revolution's perspective. As such I'll avoid hoping it is a 92. Perhaps FSA/FTAs... That would be good, and something else I suspect people would buy in multiple.

I'm sure Ben and Mile will be glad when it's been announced so we can stop hijacking the thread about the 321!

Edited by njee20
  • Like 2

I notice in the "other liveries" option there are a potential mix of 321/3, 321/4 and 321/9. If I put first choice "Northern" (321/9) and second choice "Undecorated", but the first choice doesn't get enough orders, will I get an undecorated 321/9? Or one of the other two?