Tees Yard WRD

Alcanman

Ballasting now done and finished painting the depot building. Also a little weathering to the hard standing areas which have now been glued in place.

Still lots to do to get the weedy, overgrown look to the track and the general clutter around the area.

post-7898-0-82800200-1443606262_thumb.jpg

post-7898-0-77069300-1443606282_thumb.jpg

post-7898-0-06292100-1443606301_thumb.jpg

• Like 12

Coming on well lots of Maroon :D

I recommend grass tufts (stick on) for the overgrown look although you may need a lot.

time consuming but look really effective.

Thanks. Funnily enough, look what arrived in the post yesterday.

post-7898-0-48040800-1443688708_thumb.jpg

I've tried a few makes of tufts but find Silflor/Mininatur to be the best. They come in 3 different lengths, colours are natural looking, and each individual tuft is sized differently, so plenty of variation.

Didn't take long for the weeds to start growing...

post-7898-0-50581000-1443688971_thumb.jpg

post-7898-0-44870300-1443688991_thumb.jpg

Edited by Alcanman
  • Like 10

Ballasting looks very good - did you do it  by traditional method?

I ballast with the "school glitter" method -  PVA spread on the baseboard to sleeper height then track laid ballast

sprinkled on and lightly tamped - left to dry and hoovered up (or tipped on to newspaper if a small baseboard) then sprayed

with Railmatch aerosols oil black on the sleepers.Drybrush to highlight the ballast - I take it you will not be spraying the ballast - it looks

quite good as it is I suppose.

Ian

Yes - Mininatur the best - good to see who your supplier is on the blister pack as they are hard to come by! :D - I have some similar ones on order off eBay to try though maybe not as good.

Ian

Edited by Crisis Rail

I have been looking at your original images - the only problem creating such prototypical ideas is the backscenes - there is a lot of trees.....

Ipswich Stabling Point was once considered but the whole backdrop is trees up to 100ft - something very expensive to recreate if I wanted to do it properly - any thoughts of what you are going to do?

Ian

Ballasting looks very good - did you do it  by traditional method?

I ballast with the "school glitter" method -  PVA spread on the baseboard to sleeper height then track laid ballast

sprinkled on and lightly tamped - left to dry and hoovered up (or tipped on to newspaper if a small baseboard) then sprayed

with Railmatch aerosols oil black on the sleepers.Drybrush to highlight the ballast - I take it you will not be spraying the ballast - it looks

quite good as it is I suppose.

Ian

I have my own 'traditional' method which I've used for years. Track hand painted first with Humbrol enamels then,Woodlands Scenics fine grey ballast with a little light grey and dark brown mixed spread dry over the track. Water with a drop of washing up sprayed on then Woodland Scenics Scenic Cement (PVA) dribbled over the track. Although expensive, the Scenic Cement is the right consistency for ballasting and dries matt.

Yes - Mininatur the best - good to see who your supplier is on the blister pack as they are hard to come by! :D - I have some similar ones on order off eBay to try though maybe not as good.

Ian

Yes, I recently started using this supplier and they provide an excellent service and 'live' in stock' website.

I have been looking at your original images - the only problem creating such prototypical ideas is the backscenes - there is a lot of trees.....

Ipswich Stabling Point was once considered but the whole backdrop is trees up to 100ft - something very expensive to recreate if I wanted to do it properly - any thoughts of what you are going to do?

Ian

I've been giving the backscene a lot of thought and there are a lot of trees, so I may go with a tree line, similar to the one I used on Furnace Way Sidings.

post-7898-0-67092000-1443779970_thumb.jpg

Edited by Alcanman
  • Like 8

• 2 weeks later...

Last week, I started to build the road overbridge. As I mentioned earlier in the thread, I've simply gone for a generic type of structure, using Wills dressed stone and vari-girder.

The bridge has received a basic coat of dark grey primer, I'll weather it later.

post-7898-0-16264500-1444661457_thumb.jpg

Meantime, at the other end of the layout, a tree line has begun to appear behind the depot building. A few detailing items have also started to appear on the layout.

post-7898-0-58244300-1444661558_thumb.jpg

post-7898-0-99578100-1444661583_thumb.jpg

• Like 11