The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Driving standards

hayfield

• RMweb Gold
15 minutes ago, APOLLO said:

No thanks, I can't imagine my Rover sounding like a vacuum cleaner, it's main attraction is that wonderful V8 Burble at the rear !! 

Brit15

Its when you end up with something sounding like an electric milkfloat that you should worry!

eg those electric racing cars they have....

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
21 minutes ago, APOLLO said:

No thanks, I can't imagine my Rover sounding like a vacuum cleaner, it's main attraction is that wonderful V8 Burble at the rear !!

Sure, but for bog-standard ordinary, uninteresting stuff it makes sense IMO.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Reorte said:

Sure, but for bog-standard ordinary, uninteresting stuff it makes sense IMO.

You called?

medium_3bd855a0-16aa-42c6-a0b9-052c05aa5649.jpg.27cfe9d91967871962139a76e08a78f1.jpg

This one has evidently been rustproofed to within an inch of its life, so should last forever if maintained.

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold
27 minutes ago, APOLLO said:

Nice car, is that a Maxi or an 1800 ? - I should know but it's so long ago and these are rarely seen these days.

Brit15

My money is on a Maxi, and in hearing aid beige as we used to call it!

Mike.

• Like 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold

Finally had a reply from Cheshire west council about pot hole damage I had back in March, they have agreed that the council are to blame so I’ll be getting the cost of the new tyre back which is nice! 

conversely, after my lad had his BMW written off last week the insurance company need the V5 to close the claim, I’ve had the house upside down trying to find it with no avail. Phoned the DVLA this morning only to discover that the V5 isn’t in his name, the previous keeper said they had done it on line but obviously didn’t bother, he’s now got to retrospectively for a V5 then when it arrives fill it out today it’s scrapped and forward it to the insurance, unfortunately that could take 4-6 weeks so he’ll have to pay next months tax on it too as we can’t declare a sorn without the V5! 

• Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, johnofwessex said:

The obvious comment I might make..........

Its clearly possible to design a vehicle with a long design life, a '20 year life' car design was certainly possible in the 1970's

But.....

The first thing is to try and look at the 'life cycle' costs both financial and environmental

Then as we have seen with the HST you end up driving round in a vehicle that doesn't necessarily meet current 'standards' or expectations - who wants a saloon car these days etc

In the case of the HST the quality of maintenance wasn't usually an issue but you then may have a question about keeping a vehicle in a safe and roadworthy condition for 30 years so you might end up with questions about the 'vehicle maintenance' industry and its ability to look after them in a way current vehicles don't need to be

London Transport got it right with their facility at Chiswick. Every seven or eight years buses were sent their and were rebuilt from the ground up leaving as virtually new buses. The RT and RM type buses were in service for between twenty five and forty years and it was only changing legislation and OPO that took them off the road.

Edited by PhilJ W
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

My money is on a Maxi, and in hearing aid beige as we used to call it!

First car I can remember us having when I was a kid was a Maxi (there was a Renault 5 before that I think but I don't remember anything much at all about it). My enduring memories of the Maxi are being a child in shorts having to sit on the plastic upholstered seats after it had been sat in the sun all day. I'm surprised there aren't burn scars on the back of my legs.

At the opposite end of the weather spectrum I also remember my dad liberally attacking the engine with WD40 when it had been sat in the damp.

It was a bit newer than the one in the photo (I'm fairly sure I remember it being T reg).

Edited by Reorte
  • Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Reorte said:

I do wish conversions of existing cars to electric cars was viable (all the ones I've seen don't seem to give you a particularly good electric car, unfortunately we still seem to be at the stage where you've really got to design it from the ground up).

From the contents of TV programmes on the subject, reconfiguring existing cars to electric propulsion seems to cost twice as much as buying a Tesla in the first place....  

Edited by Dunsignalling
repetition
  • Agree 2