The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Driving standards

hayfield

The car in the last photo would have been better parking nose in, so as to get as close to the concrete post as possible. Then you could have still opened the door to get in/out as long as the car next to you parked nose out.

Most car drivers have no idea where the near side of their car is, and just wander along with the offside on or close to the white lines In the centre of the road. Try looking at a road that has no white lines down the centre, and watch what happens. Then we have drivers unable to turn steering wheels and will cut corners.

Most motorsists don't actually drive their cars nowadays, they just go from a to b with the minimal input to the journey possible. That includes the use of brains.

• RMweb Premium

The car in the last photo would have been better parking nose in, so as to get as close to the concrete post as possible. Then you could have still opened the door to get in/out as long as the car next to you parked nose out.

Most car drivers have no idea where the near side of their car is, and just wander along with the offside on or close to the white lines In the centre of the road. Try looking at a road that has no white lines down the centre, and watch what happens. Then we have drivers unable to turn steering wheels and will cut corners.

Most motorsists don't actually drive their cars nowadays, they just go from a to b with the minimal input to the journey possible. That includes the use of brains.

Except when turning right, many drivers when doing so seem to get as far over to the left as possible and if traffic is coming the other way there can be a queue built up behind them before they turn right.

Except when turning right, many drivers when doing so seem to get as far over to the left as possible and if traffic is coming the other way there can be a queue built up behind them before they turn right.

The worst thing drivers can do when waiting to turn right is turn their steering wheel before it's clear to go, rather than keeping their front wheels straight. If they get hit from behind they could very quickly get shunted into a fatal head on collision with oncoming traffic.

Edited by Baby Deltic

The worst thing drivers can do when waiting to turn right is turn their steering wheel before it's clear to go, rather than keeping their front wheels straight. If they get hit from behind they could very quickly get shunted into a fatal head on collision with oncoming traffic.

And they keep their foot on the brake. Not only does it dazzle drivers behind, more importantly in a shunt situation, their foot will slip. And as they are probably still in gear, this encourages the car to move forward as well.

Stewart

Sitting at lights with your foot on the brakes also can end up with warped discs, as the brake pads will retain the heat in the disc longer than the bit that has no brake pad in contact with it. It is the same as sitting with the clutch depressed in gear, which can cause premature replacement of the clutch due to the thrust bearings taking all the load from the engine.

• RMweb Gold

Sitting at lights with your foot on the brakes also can end up with warped discs, as the brake pads will retain the heat in the disc longer than the bit that has no brake pad in contact with it. It is the same as sitting with the clutch depressed in gear, which can cause premature replacement of the clutch due to the thrust bearings taking all the load from the engine.

The problem being that the same thing will happen if you use the handbrake, so is there an option??

Mike.

Sit at the back of a queue with your brake lights lit. Slightly reduces the chance that some womble will plough straight into the back of you.

What are the odds that said driver is still a selfish git regardless of arrival time?

try parking in a near empty supermarket car park in the furthest corner from the doors and shop for an hour ? you can guarantee if there are five hundred empty spaces some arse will be parked one inch from your drivers door on your return 

• RMweb Premium

What are the odds, that the driver was there first and since the car park was empty, it didn't matter how they parked!

Nope. Still massively selfish behaviour, even if he was the only car there.

• RMweb Premium

And they keep their foot on the brake. Not only does it dazzle drivers behind, more importantly in a shunt situation, their foot will slip. And as they are probably still in gear, this encourages the car to move forward as well.

Keeping your foot on the brake helps make the point to any cars coming up behind you, so it makes sense to keep it on (perhaps only very lightly, with the handbrake on) until someone is stopped or about to stop behind you. It's not something I generally do, just heard someone else mention it once and it sounds like a good idea.

• Like 1

try parking in a near empty supermarket car park in the furthest corner from the doors and shop for an hour ? you can guarantee if there are five hundred empty spaces some arse will be parked one inch from your drivers door on your return

It is a well known fact that Cars have a natural herding instinct and will join others for safety!

• RMweb Gold

My favourite in the local Tesco's is to look for the car parked miles from the entrance and then park next to it , When towing the digger, Truck and Trailer are 30+ feet long so I have been known to parked across several bays and then reverse up to the passenger door with the trailer.

There was one instance when I returned to the truck that the car driver said "did you have to park so close to my passenger door" I replied"But I was here first".....he apologised and drove away.

I would say I never park to block doors.

• Like 3

Actually, some cars have the handbrake as a separate drum inside the disc, so applying the handbrake will not cause the disc to be touched. Even if they are, the rears do less braking so have less energy and heat to dissipate.

• RMweb Premium

Nope. Still massively selfish behaviour, even if he was the only car there.

I obviously neglect to say that it was selfish,, which it is, as well as totally incompetent.

• RMweb Premium

Keeping your foot on the brake helps make the point to any cars coming up behind you, so it makes sense to keep it on (perhaps only very lightly, with the handbrake on) until someone is stopped or about to stop behind you. It's not something I generally do, just heard someone else mention it once and it sounds like a good idea.

If you take the brake off, then a driver could easily assume that you are about to move off and so take their foot off their brake.

• RMweb Gold

If you take the brake off, then a driver could easily assume that you are about to move off and so take their foot off their brake.

I drive an automatic Jeep and always use the handbrake whilst at the lights but will now think differently!

I generally have the brake lights on until someone pulls up behind, at which point I release the footbrake or change to handbrake.