The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Driving standards

hayfield

• RMweb Premium
27 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

Is it me*, or has a chunk of this thread been censored since this morning?

Are things really getting that bad?

*No, it's not me.

I went back to the previous page and its the same as this one.

5 hours ago, GrumpyPenguin said:

They are civilians, but I think you will find that they do now have the power to stop & issue PCN, NIP's & prohibitation notices.

They are allowed to display rear facing flashing red warning lights/beacons (currently, the Police are the only emergency service allowed to do so but I understand that it's due to change). Some of them even have electronic bullhorn/sirens for when they need to use the hard shoulder when the traffic is stationary.

Only a matter of time before they have blues.

Do your fire engines not have red & blue rear flashing lights ?  The ones up our way had them pre covid.  Doesn't stop dozy drivers almost going into the back of them !

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, Coldgunner said:

I stick to the old adage that you can't get caught speeding, if you don't speed. I'm not slow by any stretch, but I don't get intimidated by tailgaters and pricks. Never such as had a ticket, any points or anything. Clean license that I'm rather proud of.

That said, the villages that go from 30 to 20 to 30 to 20 can get in the bin. 

As I get older, I find it a lot easier to stay close to the limit and having a trip computer with average fuel consumption helps due to the inner tight wad. I would also argue there is much more compliance with limits these days in general than when I first passed my test when 10mph over the limit was the norm in town and up to 90 on the motorway with all the repmobiles and white vans. This is regardless of there being speed cameras or not. 

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, 97406 said:

As I get older, I find it a lot easier to stay close to the limit and having a trip computer with average fuel consumption helps due to the inner tight wad. I would also argue there is much more compliance with limits these days in general than when I first passed my test when 10mph over the limit was the norm in town and up to 90 on the motorway with all the repmobiles and white vans. This is regardless of there being speed cameras or not. 

In Australia, Victoria was the first place in the world to introduce blood alcohol tests randomly. Not without good reason, as the road toll was vastly more than it is now. At the start, there was lots of 'I drive better when I've had a few' type responses, until people started losing licences. It was common for people to get detected at 0.2% and well above, now it's much less.

Obviously, people still drink and drive, speed excessively and use non-handsfree phones, but nothing like it used to be.

• Like 3

There was some 'interesting' opinions of drink driving back in the 60's. TBH I don't think our current rules are all that bad, it allows a little flexibility and for the vast majority of people a bottle of light beer isn't going to do much to impact their ability.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/videos/cjqepvx4vn9o
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W_tqQYmgMQg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Coldgunner said:

There was some 'interesting' opinions of drink driving back in the 60's. TBH I don't think our current rules are all that bad, it allows a little flexibility and for the vast majority of people a bottle of light beer isn't going to do much to impact their ability.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/videos/cjqepvx4vn9o
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W_tqQYmgMQg

You can find some videos on YT of public opinion regarding the then 'new' drink drive laws. Many were outraged the introduction of a limit, threatened to ignore it & even claimed they were perfectly fine to drink after 3-4 pints.

That seems completely outrageous now.

Until recently, if I refused a drink because I was driving, the response would be "you can still have a couple". This changed to one & now it is perfectly acceptable to stay on the soft drinks.

• Like 3

20 hours ago, black and decker boy said:

Incorrect I’m afraid. National Highways Traffic officers have no enforcement powers.

this is from National Highways website:

Our traffic officers have powers to stop traffic so that incidents can be safely dealt with, and sometimes pass on evidence to the police if they witness dangerous driving or other offences. However, we’re not an enforcement organisation.

If someone is breaking the law you should contact the police on 101, or on 999 if the situation is urgent or life threatening. 

https://nationalhighways.co.uk/about-us/what-we-do/

I did say I think, but in any case it will come with time.

They can certainly report offenses to the Police/DVLA/Traffic Commissioners and they can issue Phohibition Notices/immobilise HGV/PCV vehicles for such offenses as overloading/vehicle defects/drivers hours infringements.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, duncan said:

Do your fire engines not have red & blue rear flashing lights ?  The ones up our way had them pre covid.  Doesn't stop dozy drivers almost going into the back of them !

ASFAIK it has/is changed/changing regarding the use of red flashing lights/beacons. We had them on the rear of a privatly operated fire appliance, we were "told off" a few times by TrafPol but no action was ever taken.

At one time Fire Ap[pliances were allowed to display a red flashing light on the front.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Pete the Elaner said:

You can find some videos on YT of public opinion regarding the then 'new' drink drive laws. Many were outraged the introduction of a limit, threatened to ignore it & even claimed they were perfectly fine to drink after 3-4 pints.

Until recently, if I refused a drink because I was driving, the response would be "you can still have a couple". This changed to one & now it is perfectly acceptable to stay on the soft drinks.

I'm very good at limiting myself to one, to stay well within the limit (and my limit). Thankfully my friends understand and don't push me. I've even had non-alcoholic beer occasionally.

The key is to plan ahead, if I'm heading into town knowing I want a drink, the car stays at home. Simple as that. At least living in a city, there's plenty of options for Taxi's and buses. I believe drink driving is more common in the stix from what I'm told. I think a huge part of that is the lack of public transport or taxi's willing to travel.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Pete the Elaner said:

In the motherland, land of social drinking,  we visited a restaurant. 

As I was driving I had alcohol free beer. ( well less than 0.5% alcohol) 

Practice at this establishment is to bring a shot of vodka for each diner with the bill.

I got a lollipop. 

Alcohol free is becoming popular and the association of hospitality and drink ( vodka) is  loosening. 

Rather draconian drink drive laws introduced over the last few years help.

Even drunk cycling can get you a driving ban.

Andy

• Like 11

1 hour ago, GrumpyPenguin said:

I did say I think, but in any case it will come with time.

They can certainly report offenses to the Police/DVLA/Traffic Commissioners and they can issue Phohibition Notices/immobilise HGV/PCV vehicles for such offenses as overloading/vehicle defects/drivers hours infringements.

Are you thinking of DVSA officers who do traffic stops on HGVs? They do have enforcement powers against commercial vehicles & their operators. They don’t for private vehicles.

they are not the National Highways traffic officers who have no enforcement powers other than the right to stop and direct traffic.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, SM42 said:

As a student many years ago I found that cycling gave the appearance of sobering one up quickly - a good dose of fresh air. Besides, I claimed, the gyroscopic action of the wheels kept one on the straight and narrow. The best I cab say for this is that I'm here now.

Edited by Compound2632
  • Like 3

16 minutes ago, SM42 said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think a distinction is made between having "had a few" and being "actively" drunk while on a bike? i.e. if you're riding after a few pints safely, then you've got nothing to worry about. If you're drunk and causing an obvious danger to yourself/others, you'd get pulled?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Pete the Elaner said:

I work on the principle that if I can’t have 8 pints there is no justification in just having one. Therefore I don’t even have one when I’m the duty driver.

Out of interest, some of the alcohol free ales on offer are actually quite acceptable, other than the fact I will get a worse hangover drinking them than supping the real thing!

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium
12 minutes ago, Coldgunner said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think a distinction is made between having "had a few" and being "actively" drunk while on a bike? i.e. if you're riding after a few pints safely, then you've got nothing to worry about. If you're drunk and causing an obvious danger to yourself/others, you'd get pulled?

I was once randomly tested ( as was Mrs SM42) whilst cycling whilst exiting a lake / forest area with numerous cycle tracks, and joining a road. 

The officer was testing everyone on bicycles. 

First time I've ever been breathalysed and I wasn't even driving.

Andy

• Like 3

This was pre-1967 which was when I started driving. I only had an ordinary bike (quite heavy with fully enclosed chain, and steel mudguards, but I did have a speedo. Fastest I ever got was 32 down a steep hill, near Everton Crossing (Sandy) - that was quite frightening!. However, my mate had a racing bike (nothing exotic though). He got pulled by the Police in Cambridge on Victoria Avenue (where they hold the fairs). He was over the 30 limit (I think 36-38?), and had to appear in court. I don't know what the outcome was though.

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold
16 minutes ago, stewartingram said:

This was pre-1967 which was when I started driving. I only had an ordinary bike (quite heavy with fully enclosed chain, and steel mudguards, but I did have a speedo. Fastest I ever got was 32 down a steep hill, near Everton Crossing (Sandy) - that was quite frightening!. However, my mate had a racing bike (nothing exotic though). He got pulled by the Police in Cambridge on Victoria Avenue (where they hold the fairs). He was over the 30 limit (I think 36-38?), and had to appear in court. I don't know what the outcome was though.

Blacksmith hill with the sharp bend at the bottom. We used to cycle to Everton just to go down it as fast as possible when I was 14/15 then head to the crossing for some spotting.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

I knew an old chap (WW1 veteran) who used a horse and cart between the wars to deliver fruit and veg to Romford Market. Back in those days every other building in the market was a pub and most were well patronised. This chap used to have (quite) a few ales during the day. When it was time to go he used to hitch up the horse and set off for home. More often than not he used to fall asleep on the cart, the horse knew the way home. One day he was woken up by a policeman and arrested for being drunk in charge of a horse and cart. He was fined 5/- for that.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Coldgunner said:

I've honestly never seen that or heard of it happening to anyone on a bike. Genuinely quite surprised.

I think @SM42 was in Poland at the time. As far as I know, in GB you cannot be breathalysed for riding a bike, although you can be charged.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, GrumpyPenguin said:

Much more cost effective when you factor inb the revenue they collect.

If only that revenue was spent on sorting out the atrocious road surfaces! The constant battering to tyres and running gear from potholes is the real danger. I had a tyre suddenly lose pressure last weekend on a relatively minor pothole, but after a year or so of being battered on many other potholes. I wouldn’t relish this happening on a section of smart motorway or dual carriageway.

At least the tyre was going to be replaced soon anyway as it was getting just below 3mm of tread and I like a nice deep tread for wet and wintry weather. I didn’t fancy motoring much more on the 3 other tyres which have also endured the same awful roads for the same time, so the car got reshod on Monday.

I also carry a full size steely in the boot as a spare. It makes for a handy receptacle to stop shopping bags rolling about. The normal can of squirty foam would have not worked in the above case, or any case where I’ve had a tyre go.

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, Coldgunner said:

From my experience of putting this to the test as a student many years ago, as recounted above, I would say that is a false distinction. If one has drunk enough that one's judgement is impaired,  then one is as much a danger to oneself and others cycling as driving. Or walking, for that matter. 

But one might argue that if one is reliant on driving or cycling to get home from the pub after drinking, one's judgement was impaired before one ever set foot in the pub.

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, 97406 said:

If only that revenue was spent on sorting out the atrocious road surfaces! The constant battering to tyres and running gear from potholes is the real danger. I had a tyre suddenly lose pressure last weekend on a relatively minor pothole, but after a year or so of being battered on many other potholes. I wouldn’t relish this happening on a section of smart motorway or dual carriageway.

At least the tyre was going to be replaced soon anyway as it was getting just below 3mm of tread and I like a nice deep tread for wet and wintry weather. I didn’t fancy motoring much more on the 3 other tyres which have also endured the same awful roads for the same time, so the car got reshod on Monday.

I also carry a full size steely in the boot as a spare. It makes for a handy receptacle to stop shopping bags rolling about. The normal can of squirty foam would have not worked in the above case, or any case where I’ve had a tyre go.

I recently replaced the front tyres on my Yeti (with the same brand) and was surprised how much the ride comfort improved, I think the old ones had become "work hardened" by all the potholes. 😒

I have no faith in "repair bottles" either. Fortunately, the car came with a "skinny spare" under the boot floor. On a CR170, that's a 195/60 x16 which, not many years ago, would have been considered "wide" on most cars! 50mph max, as normal, but no mileage limit, which is reassuring.

Used once, to get me to a tyre shop when I picked up a nail a couple of years back but otherwise pristine.

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 3