The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Driving standards

hayfield

When it comes to the media, I find myself rolling about laughing at the arty spiel of new car adverts though.

Especially when said vehicle is shown gliding through empty cities, or in the case of electric cars, to the top of a mountain...

Wot? No charging point?

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 6

• RMweb Gold
On 22/05/2024 at 18:18, MrWolf said:

When it comes to the media, I find myself rolling about laughing at the arty spiel of new car adverts though.

Especially when said vehicle is shown gliding through empty cities, or in the case of electric cars, to the top of a mountain...

Wot? No charging point?

The ad for the MG3 Hybrid seems to indicate that the car emits multi-coloured bubbles...

• Funny 6

A friend of mine had a £50 Austin Ambassador that blew bubbles in the radiator header tank, but that was because the head gasket was knackered...

• Like 3
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

3 hours ago, MrWolf said:

A friend of mine had a £50 Austin Ambassador that blew bubbles in the radiator header tank, but that was because the head gasket was knackered...

Oh, they all do that Sir.

• Funny 6

• RMweb Premium

20 miles of driving this morning has seen 2 drivers who could do with checking their eyesight. 1 lady who ignored the red light and drove on, and the scarier one, the man in the white van who I came face to face with on a one way street. He was the one going the wrong direction. I bet the bus driver a little way behind me was equally unimpressed. 

• Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Premium
52 minutes ago, Kris said:

20 miles of driving this morning has seen 2 drivers who could do with checking their eyesight. 1 lady who ignored the red light and drove on, and the scarier one, the man in the white van who I came face to face with on a one way street. He was the one going the wrong direction. I bet the bus driver a little way behind me was equally unimpressed. 

Is it scarier than ignoring a red light? Depends on the traffic speed.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, kevinlms said:

Is it scarier than ignoring a red light? Depends on the traffic speed.

Yes given the lights is question. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
42 minutes ago, black and decker boy said:

Todays Darwin Award winning ‘driver’ in the USA

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/videos/c133x22kzrpo

He's a nutter, but not a Darwin Award nomination, because he isn't in the process of dying!

He thought the judge was upset with him, for speaking to him while driving, but much worse than that!

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, black and decker boy said:

An update says

Jail records show that Harris was booked into the Washtenaw County Jail that evening, May 15. He was eventually released on bond.

So he's out on bail again. I wonder how he'll get to court, which is scheduled for 5 June?

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

7 hours ago, black and decker boy said:

Priceless!!!

Just goes to show how many believe the law does not apply to them, and presumably the total disregard people have against the legal system.  No doubt by 6pm he would have had plenty of time to reflect on his actions

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, kevinlms said:

An update says

Jail records show that Harris was booked into the Washtenaw County Jail that evening, May 15. He was eventually released on bond.

So he's out on bail again. I wonder how he'll get to court, which is scheduled for 5 June?

He'll drive himself there.

• Agree 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
On 10/06/2024 at 18:11, jcredfer said:

Crush the car, with the driver in it.....

A little extreme, unless they caused death or injury.

How about restoring the use of the Pillory or the Stocks for public humiliation?

Enterprising folk could set up stalls selling rotten fruit for an added splash of colour...

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 2

On 30/05/2024 at 15:37, johnofwessex said:

There has been some discussion about what to do with drivers who continue to drive while disqualified.

My serious suggestion is a Dutch type solution, ie secure psychiatric units 

32 minutes ago, Hroth said:

A little extreme, unless they caused death or injury.

How about restoring the use of the Pillory or the Stocks for public humiliation?

Enterprising folk could set up stalls selling rotten fruit for an added splash of colour...

At this level they certainly need prevention methods, until they comprehend the two concepts of "disqualification" and how that affects their lawful rights to drive.  Physical restraint would seem to be high on the priority list.

.......    Now there's a cunundrom.......

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
17 minutes ago, jcredfer said:

At this level they certainly need prevention methods, until they comprehend the two concepts of "disqualification" and how that affects their lawful rights to drive.  Physical restraint would seem to be high on the priority list.

.......    Now there's a cunundrom.......

I'm sure they understand. They simply couldn't care less.

• Agree 9

The standard of driving near me has deteriorated beyond recognition in the last few years. Not long ago the main road was blocked due to roadworks so a driver decided it was fine to drive through the gap in a pelican crossing centre gap to reach the other carriageway. A few days later we were using another crossing when a car went sailing through the red light on the other carriageway  as my wife and I were crossing. 

Edited by Screwdriver
Grammar
  • Friendly/supportive 7

I've just had a deviation by way of a couple of those eccentrically-named Hamlets you find out in the Fens. A curious experience, driving around a 12 mile loop without losing sight of your destination. 

For why? The risibly-named A1101 is blocked about a mile from site due to an RTA requiring so far, 2 police cars, a fire engine and two ambulances. 

I'm sure my thoughts on how someone would drive off a straight road in broad daylight, with no other traffic in sight are superfluous... 

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1