The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Driving standards

hayfield

• RMweb Gold
14 minutes ago, geoffers said:

Survived a 30 mile drive in deepest, darkest Norfolk yesterday evening back from Walsingham. Only saw one car which acted as if the office Christmas party may have clouded judgement.

NfN.....

Or so they say!

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
On 21/12/2023 at 14:31, Ian Smeeton said:

I thought that the whole point of the RAF was that you were safer as an 'other ranks' staying at home while the officers and some NCOs went out to fight.

As opposed to the Army where the officers led from the front with others behind in case anyone tried to run away, and the Navy, where officers, enlisted men and NCOs were all in the same boat, so to speak.

Regards

Ian

Not always,

On the 6th of June 1944, on Omaha and Juno beaches there was a  convoy of RAF personal of 160 men just a couple of officers with each team the OIC and a Padre!

Each convoy had 27 vehicles on which were mounted 4 radars and their support equipment.

On Omaha beach 11 men were killed, 30 others injured and 21 vehicles destroyed.

• Informative/Useful 5
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

51 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

Sure indication that parking spaces ought to be bigger.

One of the advantages of these types of vehicle is that the driver can happily reverse up to an obstacle/other car without worrying too much about making contact. My various landrovers all had tow hitches but I rarely towed anything. However, before the advent of rear view cameras, it was a useful means of judging when I had gone back as far as possible without damaging the bodywork. 

I did not employ this technique when reversing up to another parked car but I am sure some drivers would do it.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

Sure indication that parking spaces ought to be bigger.

Hmm. It’s not exactly a regular car.

He’d have done better to have parked away in the corner and taken two spaces than encroaching onto the walkway.

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, 30801 said:

Hmm. It’s not exactly a regular car.

He’d have done better to have parked away in the corner and taken two spaces than encroaching onto the walkway.

Away in a corner

Too big for a ute...

Well, it is Christmas!

• Like 3
  • Round of applause 2
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Gold
On 23/12/2023 at 08:03, Deeps said:

I was once second in a line of traffic stuck behind a cyclist on a bendy road. The car in front of me, leading the queue, was a Volvo driven by an elderly gentleman. When we reached a straight bit of road, and it was safe to overtake the cyclist, the Volvo dropped a cog and smartly shot past it. As the road ahead was clear I did the same but the Volvo driver, having safely passed the cyclist, then braked immediately in front of it leaving me stranded in the opposite lane with oncoming traffic now visible. Somehow I managed to safely avoid a collision and we continued the journey with the Volvo driver religiously, and annoyingly, keeping to at least 10mph below the prevailing speed limit.

Eventually I had an opportunity to overtake him but as soon as I pulled out he accelerated! I was in my old Series 3 Land Rover at the time and the poor beast had never experienced such a demand for power to get past him. Afterwards I could see, in my rear view mirror, that he was playing the same trick with every other frustrated driver stuck behind him.

Sounds like a fair proportion of South Aussie drivers😒😒!!.

Mike

Edited by ikks
  • Like 3

On 20/12/2023 at 15:36, geoffers said:

This would be interesting. Having worked on an operational Apache base, and given their Taliban nickname of "the mosquito" because you can't see it but you can feel its sting, there would no doubt be calls from various quarters that this would be unfair and that there should be warnings that they are operating, and they should have a police car livery.

Remember driving down the A57 one evening when an Apache looped around Barton airport hovered over the road then side slipped onto the GMP helipad next door . Did think that it was a bit of overkill to deal with the criminal elements that were in the middle of a vicious turf war localy at the time 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, peanuts said:

Remember driving down the A57 one evening when an Apache looped around Barton airport hovered over the road then side slipped onto the GMP helipad next door . Did think that it was a bit of overkill to deal with the criminal elements that were in the middle of a vicious turf war localy at the time 

1 hour ago, Fishoutofwater said:

nope!

The victims of "collateral deaths" in genuine warfare might not sympathise with the same measure being applied to civilian police procedures.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I went and did a bit of shopping at Tesco's this afternoon. On the just over two mile journey there were no less than three traffic islands demolished in accidents over the Christmas break. One of them the vehicle was still there as its front suspension was also demolished.

Edited by PhilJ W
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
51 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

I went and did a bit of shopping at Tesco's this afternoon. On the just over two mile journey there were no less than three traffic islands demolished in accidents over the Christmas break. One of them the vehicle was still there as its front suspension was also demolished.

Too much happy water, I expect...

• Agree 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

there’s a lot of tweets from various police forces and fire brigades during this latest round of floods along the lines of ‘we’re no a recovery service if you drive into flood water’ and ‘you will be prosecuted’ 

• Like 5

Proof, if it were needed, that far too many people think they're invincible in their plastic boxes and don't really read the road ahead  I wouldn't risk my car through any of that.

I wonder how many of them sucked enough water into the cylinders to hydraulic the engine and bend a connecting rod? A few write offs I would think.

• Agree 2

44 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

I wonder how many of them sucked enough water into the cylinders to hydraulic the engine and bend a connecting rod? A few write offs I would think.

I sometime watch KevTee on YouTube. Here he is collecting a transporter load of flood damaged cars. Not sure how many are self inflicted.