The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Driving standards

hayfield

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, chris p bacon said:

Mentioning Horses, on Wednesday we had our 'Border riding' with 110 horses and riders taking part. Can you imagine how wide a berth you have to give them 😃

And the size of the bucket and shovel? 

• Funny 5

• RMweb Premium
On 17/06/2022 at 20:25, boxbrownie said:

Indeed, it is normally stated in the manuals about not using cruise control in wet or slippery (cold) conditions.

Manual?

What's a manual?

(referring to reading manuals, not manual v automatic obviously)

Edited by newbryford
  • Funny 5

26 minutes ago, newbryford said:

Manual?

What's a manual?

(referring to reading manuals, not manual v automatic obviously)

That may be obvious on (mainly) UK based forum but not elsewhere.

A Thai friend of mine is learning to drive. In her opinion, driving with a manual gearbox is unthinkable.

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
On 19/06/2022 at 17:23, chris p bacon said:

Mentioning Horses, on Wednesday we had our 'Border riding' with 110 horses and riders taking part. Can you imagine how wide a berth you have to give them 😃

And the stolen cattle on the way back...

• Agree 1
  • Funny 6

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, Pete the Elaner said:

That may be obvious on (mainly) UK based forum but not elsewhere.

A Thai friend of mine is learning to drive. In her opinion, driving with a manual gearbox is unthinkable.

Automatic gearboxes are one of those things I just don't see the point of. I don't have a problem with a car that simply doesn't need gears (e.g. an electric), but if they do then automating them is just automating something that should be pretty much subconscious by the time you've passed your test. Yet another of those "conveniences" that just leave me shaking my head.

Obvious exceptions for people who for whatever reason would have trouble physically driving a manual.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, Reorte said:

Automatic gearboxes are one of those things I just don't see the point of. I don't have a problem with a car that simply doesn't need gears (e.g. an electric), but if they do then automating them is just automating something that should be pretty much subconscious by the time you've passed your test. Yet another of those "conveniences" that just leave me shaking my head.

Obvious exceptions for people who for whatever reason would have trouble physically driving a manual.

But some people might just prefer whilst if their commute is all traffic and congestion to just sit there and let the transmission do it’s business.

Thank heaven we have had the choice.

• Agree 8

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, Reorte said:

And yet an auto box takes one of the most unreliable factors out of the process, namely the driver.

• Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
24 minutes ago, boxbrownie said:

But some people might just prefer whilst if their commute is all traffic and congestion to just sit there and let the transmission do it’s business.

Thank heaven we have had the choice.

Often enough congestion on my commute, but I'm simply not consciously aware of managing that myself (unless I deliberately think about it).

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
27 minutes ago, chris p bacon said:

And yet an auto box takes one of the most unreliable factors out of the process, namely the driver.

An argument used all the time these days to try to make ourselves and our fellow human beings as irrelevant as possible. Most people aren't unreliable enough to be a concern. It's a sad world where we're so desperate to remove ourselves from as many aspects of our lives as possible because a few people are useless.

Yeah, I know, I'm a grumpy old man before my time, but that's not going to change!

Edited by Reorte
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, MarkC said:

Please tell me that whoever made that statement hasn't bred, & has no intention to breed...

Sadly, perhaps, that may not be the case.

You know the state will bail them out and enable a second generation......

Are we really in a race to the lowest common denominator? 

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

On 23/06/2022 at 10:45, Reorte said:

Very much horses for courses.

A well driven manual will outperform an auto in many situations, particularly if driven with spirit on an open road.

However an auto will also perform better than many drivers in a manual by being in a more appropriate gear than they would other wise choose.  Some of these seem to dislike autos on the basis that it is not choosing the wrong gear that they would prefer to be in.

I have had various 4 wheel drives manual and automatic, not all of them off roaders and for slow speed work where you would normally be slipping the clutch the auto wins hands down.  Even had a back to back comparison with a manual - a situation that caused the clutch to go up in smoke on the manual the auto handled with ease.

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Titan said:

Very much horses for courses.

A well driven manual will outperform an auto in many situations, particularly if driven with spirit on an open road.

However an auto will also perform better than many drivers in a manual by being in a more appropriate gear than they would other wise choose.  Some of these seem to dislike autos on the basis that it is not choosing the wrong gear that they would prefer to be in.

I have had various 4 wheel drives manual and automatic, not all of them off roaders and for slow speed work where you would normally be slipping the clutch the auto wins hands down.  Even had a back to back comparison with a manual - a situation that caused the clutch to go up in smoke on the manual the auto handled with ease.

Bear in mind also that slush boxes these days have variations built in, I have a sport option and manual selection by moving the stick to left.

Other cars no doubt have even more options.

Mike.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
13 minutes ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

Bear in mind also that slush boxes these days have variations built in, I have a sport option and manual selection by moving the stick to left.

Other cars no doubt have even more options.

Mike.

Some even have a clutch pedal.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
On 23/06/2022 at 11:15, Reorte said:

Often enough congestion on my commute, but I'm simply not consciously aware of managing that myself (unless I deliberately think about it).

Not consciously aware of managing it yourself in heavy traffic worries me somewhat 😄

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Titan said:

Our Porsche was quicker to 60 as an auto that a manual version, and I felt around fast country lanes the auto was far easier and always in the right gear where as the steering wheel paddles were not as easy to use and definitely slowed progress, it all depends how the auto box is programmed and if it has the appropriate sport/comfort setting correctly sorted.

• Like 1