The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Driving standards

hayfield

1 hour ago, jonny777 said:

Just driven to/from Bristol to East Lincs for my Dad's funeral. Same old routine of tailgaters by BMWs, Audis, 4x4s especially Discoveries; and this time - some form of Saab. 

And yet all the tossers who own these car brands insist - "its not me gov, I'm the world's most considerate driver". 

B0ll0cks. 

It appears that everyone must go from 0-60 in 4 seconds away from every traffic light or roundabout. Why?

I am now seriously considering giving up driving altogether, and going everywhere by public transport. 

Buy a Rover P5B, a most relaxing car to drive. Stick a notice in the back for tailgaters "Want to be in front of me ? Set your alarm clock 5 minutes earlier"

I just totally ignore these arrogant bar stewards as I Rover along !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Brit15

• Like 7
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

I dunno, I am rapidly coming to the conclusion that buying a Nissan Juke is a sign that someone has given up on life and should be referred to a psychiatrist….I have been caught behind three different ones this week doing half the speed limit on dry, empty roads with good visibility and absolutely no reason for not making reasonable progress…..

• Like 3
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, F-UnitMad said:

So they can get to the next red traffic light first of course!! Then sit and wait while everyone else catches them up again :mosking:

There is a particularly nasty habit becoming common with drivers of these "Usual Suspects" makes of car; where there is a filter lane at traffic lights for turning right, if the lights are on red, one of these genius drivers will power to the front of that lane, then as soon as the lights start changing, go straight ahead, cutting in ahead of the traffic that has queued in the proper lane.  :angry:

These drivers are clearly far too important to be held up in a queue, and must feel so smug with the few seconds they save. :no:  Where's the "w*nker" smiley?

It saves a few seconds, that's why. Whenever I roll my eyes at the latest modern high-tech "convenience" I keep getting told that it's great because it saves a few seconds, so it's not hard to see why the same excessive impatience exists on the road.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, Jonboy said:

I dunno, I am rapidly coming to the conclusion that buying a Nissan Juke is a sign that someone has given up on life and should be referred to a psychiatrist….I have been caught behind three different ones this week doing half the speed limit on dry, empty roads with good visibility and absolutely no reason for not making reasonable progress…..

Your not driving a BMW/Audi/4X4/Discovery by any chance…..because apparently these are the only cars that tailgate :lol:

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, Jonboy said:

The Nissan Juke is electric so they think they're driving a milk float.

EDIT Correction, they're hybrids and many of them are driven slowly as at a certain speed the petrol engine kicks in.

Edited by PhilJ W
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

EDIT Correction, they're hybrids and many of them are driven slowly as at a certain speed the petrol engine kicks in.

Well the old definition of electric might've been "milk float" but "slow" isn't a word generally associated with current ones. I suppose avoiding getting the petrol engine to kick in makes a bit of sense (but then why buy a hybrid instead of a full electric?)

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
14 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

Nissan Juke is not electric nor even a hybrid, it’s just driven by tw@ts……:lol:

• Like 2
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium

I’m beginning to regret having gone for my SEAT Leon FR, much as I like the car; it seems that everyone in a Golf GTi/chavved up Corsa/Fiesta Zetec S etc seems to feel the need to demonstrate how much faster their vehicle is than mine, even when I make it clear by the way I drive that I am plainly uninterested in a childish sprint to the next set of lights or a tyre squealing burn round a bendy country lane.

Recently we were heading along the A66 near Stainmore where there was a lengthy camera-monitored 40mph speed limit due to roadworks - despite the prominent warning signs and several vehicles in front of us, some complete cretin in an elderly Focus insisted on aggressively tailgating, despite the fact that everyone was travelling at around 40 and maintaining a safe distance.

• Friendly/supportive 5

2 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

Somebody obviously hasn't driven an electric car. Or a Juke...

34 minutes ago, Colin said:

I’m beginning to regret having gone for my SEAT Leon FR, much as I like the car; it seems that everyone in a Golf GTi/chavved up Corsa/Fiesta Zetec S etc seems to feel the need to demonstrate how much faster their vehicle is than mine.

We get the same thing but not until I'm at the speed limit and the confused driver is in my rearview. And it's not even one of the faster accelerating EVs, not having to do that macho "man in control of machine BS" by changing gear helps.

Edited by 298
  • Like 1

My wife was watching the Australian version of Chav, Camera Action.

Interesting to see a bike rider having an in the spot licence suspension, clearly if drivers found themselves standing by the edge of the road on a wet night waiting for a taxi it might act as a deterrent.

The other issue of course is why do you only lose your licence for 'criminal' acts?

My suggestion might be that there should be a 'non criminal' route to ban drivers, ie you have just wrapped your car round a tree, we dont know exactly why because you wont say, but clearly it should not have happened, so bye bye licence until you can demonstrate that you can behave

• Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
17 minutes ago, johnofwessex said:

My suggestion might be that there should be a 'non criminal' route to ban drivers, ie you have just wrapped your car round a tree, we dont know exactly why because you wont say, but clearly it should not have happened, so bye bye licence until you can demonstrate that you can behave

There is of course, when they go to re-insure their car. Problem is they often don't bother with insurance.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, APOLLO said:

I've been driving for 54 years and the score so far is three drivers doors. One cheeky so-and-so tried to claim it was my fault. I received a letter from his insurance company to that effect. I pointed out that he had stopped on a yellow line and there was barely enough room for two cars to pass, I didn't hear any more after that.

Edited by PhilJ W
  • Like 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

4 hours ago, johnofwessex said:

My wife was watching the Australian version of Chav, Camera Action.

Interesting to see a bike rider having an in the spot licence suspension, clearly if drivers found themselves standing by the edge of the road on a wet night waiting for a taxi it might act as a deterrent.

The other issue of course is why do you only lose your licence for 'criminal' acts?

Some peole will carry on driving regardless of any ban, or even without holding a licence in the first place.

The only sure way to stop people who shouldn't from driving is when we are all micro-chipped, and the settings can be recognised by the car's computer, which will refuse to start the car. Or better still, lock the offender inside & call the police....  :jester:

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Well today I think sums up the Brummigem attitude to driving 

Today, the road outside work was closed. A planned closure, advertised for a while with signs. 

The road was closed just past our work entrance, several warning signs erected on approach to give drivers a way out via other roads

Our works was the only place you could get to without diverting, yet all day cars have driven up the the closure barriers and turned round in our gate. Not just the odd chancer, but an endless procession.

What did they expect? The closure was clearly visible from the last alternative road to take.

The cones, barriers and fence could all be seen less than 200yds away. 

I do wonder somtimes if people really do look past the end of the bonnet nowadays 

Andy

• Agree 6

9 hours ago, F-UnitMad said:

Some peole will carry on driving regardless of any ban, or even without holding a licence in the first place.

The only sure way to stop people who shouldn't from driving is when we are all micro-chipped, and the settings can be recognised by the car's computer, which will refuse to start the car. Or better still, lock the offender inside & call the police....  :jester:

Why the Police, whats wrong with a vet?

• Funny 8

29 minutes ago, johnofwessex said:

Reading the report, I hope its headed for the crusher.

I suspect it's on HP in which case the legal owner might not be happy about that.