The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Driving standards

hayfield

3 hours ago, hayfield said:

Find a safe and legal place to park then deliver the goods on foot.

Sounds like it's spoken with all the self-righteous authority of someone who's never had to do it themselves.

Edited by F-UnitMad
  • Agree 4

12 hours ago, StuAllen said:

It’s not illegal to stop on double yellow lines to unload, unless there are additional restrictions to say so - usually 1 or 2 stripes painted on the kerb stone and a printed sign

As you say  unless there are additional restrictions to say so

But not near road junctions, 

Rule 243

opposite or within 10 metres (32 feet) of a junction, except in an authorised parking space

I have regularly seen minicabs stop on zigzag lines to on/off load passengers.

Rule 240

a pedestrian crossing, including the area marked by the zig-zag lines (see Rule 191)

• Agree 3

20 hours ago, kevinlms said:

None of that 'keep driving' nonsense in Victoria, Australia. *

https://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/licences/demerit-points-and-offences/about-demerit-points

* The exception is an extended demerit point period, where you have the option of being allowed to drive for 12 months, on the proviso that if you accept this and you get caught with any demerit point offending, you get double the loss of licence provision.

A lot of what Vic Roads does is very good and I wish it could be imported into the UK, for example on the spot bans for drink driving and not automatically getting your licence back.

• Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
15 hours ago, Jonboy said:

This was the shops issue, that the driver would unload at the nearest safe legal place per the terms of delivery, and wouldn’t illegally block the local bus stops whilst making their delivery….

We are talking full pallets of 500kg+, the shop owner simply hadn’t considered logistics when signing the lease.

In our town the “high street” is a single lane controlled by one way traffic lights, no truck ever ventures down there but unloads before the lights and delivers on a pallet trolly or sack barrow and breaks the loads up if necessary, there is no option for the shops to move obviously, even the Co-Op trucks which do have large loads do the same, they know the issues and work around them.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, boxbrownie said:

Very surprised Tesla enabled drive mode while the rear doors were open, if it was a fault then the driver needs his licence taken away for a while.

At the very least there should be some serious beeping going on. Given how clever these doors are there's more than a simple closed switch. The car knows exactly the position they're in.

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, 30801 said:

At the very least there should be some serious beeping going on. Given how clever these doors are there's more than a simple closed switch. The car knows exactly the position they're in.

Sounds far too clever for its own good, making something ludicrously high-tech that would work perfectly well (possibly better) low tech.

• Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
7 minutes ago, 30801 said:

Exactly, but I am not sure that rear door was actually in the correct open position, I thought they”double folded” in the open position, that looked like the centre pivot area was inoperative.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, boxbrownie said:

I thought they”double folded” in the open position, that looked like the centre pivot area was inoperative.

It looks like it's in 'fully open' mode.

They behave differently depending on how much room they have.

• RMweb Premium
39 minutes ago, 30801 said:

Would have thought the occupant, would have noticed the draught!

• Agree 1

46 minutes ago, Reorte said:

Sounds far too clever for its own good, making something ludicrously high-tech that would work perfectly well (possibly better) low tech.

His next car?

car_photo_436129.jpg.995e5188b82873be5bd13d1da825db3f.jpg

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, boxbrownie said:

Very surprised Tesla enabled drive mode while the rear doors were open, if it was a fault then the driver needs his licence taken away for a while.

I thought it was the side door?

18 hours ago, hayfield said:

So its OK to break the laws that you see fit to then ? Anarchy rules !!! The highway code is there for everybody to comply with,

But you'd expect the delivery driver to carry or drag (with a pallet truck) a full pallet say half a mile from the nearest suitable parking place? That would also break H&S laws by the bucket load!

As has been said poor choice of location for a shop that expects to take deliveries.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
17 minutes ago, admiles said:

But you'd expect the delivery driver to carry or drag (with a pallet truck) a full pallet say half a mile from the nearest suitable parking place? That would also break H&S laws by the bucket load!

No, I would expect the delivery driver or his managers to be aware of the nature of the delivery and the restrictions of the site and to devise and plan a safe way of working for the delivery in accordance witrh the law.

• Agree 6
  • Funny 1

15 minutes ago, Grovenor said:

No, I would expect the delivery driver or his managers to be aware of the nature of the delivery and the restrictions of the site and to devise and plan a safe way of working for the delivery in accordance witrh the law.

In an ideal world yes that what would happen. Sadly we don't live in that world.  Sometimes its a case of the least worst option.  I simply pointed out that asking a driver to park some distance away from the delivery address and move a loaded pallet potentially past members of the public and across roads on his own is a non-starter for a myriad of reasons.

Again as has been said some delivery sites are very poorly located. Some have had restrictions put in place long after they've opened. You're also assuming the driver or planner is aware of the location and all it's restrictions. The world isn't black and white and every situation is different.

I speak from 30 years experience of planning deliveries and collections from everything from single cardboard boxes to 300m dollar car plant machinery to 800T power distribution transformers etc.  

Edited by admiles
  • Like 3
  • Agree 1

58 minutes ago, admiles said:

As has been said poor choice of location for a shop that expects to take deliveries.

Yes

My last occupation I was a delivery driver for 3 years in North London, I always managed to park legally, even if it meant a long walk and several trips. When I was first employed I was told in no uncertain terms I was driving a moving advertisement board and the highest standards were expected. Yes it is tough especially when delivering to flats with no lift and having to go up and down the stairs several times. That was the job, I could always get another one 

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Round of applause 1

1 hour ago, admiles said:

In one!

17 hours ago, F-UnitMad said:

Sounds like it's spoken with all the self-righteous authority of someone who's never had to do it themselves.

Far from it, 3 years as a delivery driver in North London, rush hours and all plus a time regulated operation. Admittedly with one of the better companies, but the laws were the same for all

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, admiles said:

In an ideal world yes that what would happen. Sadly we don't live in that world.  Sometimes its a case of the least worst option.  I simply pointed out that asking a driver to park some distance away from the delivery address and move a loaded pallet potentially past members of the public and across roads on his own is a non-starter for a myriad of reasons.

Again as has been said some delivery sites are very poorly located. Some have had restrictions put in place long after they've opened. You're also assuming the driver or planner is aware of the location and all it's restrictions. The world isn't black and white and every situation is different.

I speak from 30 years experience of planning deliveries and collections from everything from single cardboard boxes to 300m dollar car plant machinery to 800T power distribution transformers etc.  

You are legally tasked to plan the deliveries in accordance with the law including health & safety. Where I worked our manager sent 2 people out if it was known there was an issue. That was before the latest set of requirements risk assessments etc

• Like 1
  • Agree 1