The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Driving standards

hayfield

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Nick C said:

Maybe he already has quite a few points and is trying to avoid going over the ban-limit...

Could be but I think I'll try to assume the best for once. Doing so has novelty value, if nothing else.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, Reorte said:

A surprising one on the way home yesterday. Car in front of me covered in stickers, loud exhaust, guy driving it looks the stereotype too. Ended up in front of me and carried on driving along in front of me within the speed limit, properly stopping at lights, and generally driving perfectly sensibly. So much for stereotypes!

8 hours ago, Nick C said:

Maybe he already has quite a few points and is trying to avoid going over the ban-limit...

He was p!ssed.

Mike.

• Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
15 hours ago, Sidecar Racer said:

Very true though......on one occasion we were in Cologne and had to get to Frankfurt for the Motorshow the next day (press days actually) so the company laid on some drivers to chauffeur the suits of which there were several American colleagues, I had a Sierra 4X4 wagon at the time and decided to follow.......that was an experience!

Cologne to Frankfurt on the Autobahn following some native drivers in the dark.......it was fun and a bit challenging at times keeping up with half a dozen Scorpio Cosworths, but we made it, the yanks upon exiting the cars looked like they had been in a haunted house for a week :lol:

Completely different driving culture.

• Funny 2

I am reminded of the occasion when I watched a Lotus Europa attempt the ford next to Tarr Steps clapper bridge. Even at the tender age of 11 I thought it was rather brave, given the combination of minimal ground clearance and Lotus/Lucas (and a smattering of Renault) electrickery. 

And no, he didn't make it. 

• Like 2
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, PatB said:

I am reminded of the occasion when I watched a Lotus Europa attempt the ford next to Tarr Steps clapper bridge. Even at the tender age of 11 I thought it was rather brave, given the combination of minimal ground clearance and Lotus/Lucas (and a smattering of Renault) electrickery. 

Roger Moore didn't have any trouble!

Mike.

• Funny 4

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, Sidecar Racer said:

This would be equally acceptable in the Things to make you Smile  thread .

Frustratingly taken at a much slower speed probably all of those would have got through without issue, local garage/recovery must be raking it in :lol:

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
34 minutes ago, boxbrownie said:

Frustratingly taken at a much slower speed probably all of those would have got through without issue, local garage/recovery must be raking it in :lol:

There's that nonsense about "create a bow wave" that's been around for years, so that might explain it. As would just assuming it's no more than a shallow puddle, or not even noticing it at all.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, Sidecar Racer said:

Having to go around a vehicle already dead in the water, would definitely put me off!

• Agree 2

10 hours ago, PatB said:

I wouldn't take my Elan anywhere near a flood like that (or my Honda Civic either).

If water gets ingested into the engine from a flood, it would be a major amount. Unlike air & fuel vapour, water does not compress very much at all. So something in the engine would fail, which either be the cylinder head or a con rod, both of which are very expensive mechanical issues.

A pair of shoes would be much easier to replace, but if the car stops in the water, you would need to replace them anyway.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, Sidecar Racer said:

I notice that one particular make, BMW seems to suffer the worst. Not a criticism of the drivers, it could be electronics in a vulnerable position. The worst drivers IMHO in that clip seemed to be those that knowing their vehicles are high enough to be unaffected by the water deliberately power through creating a large wave

• Agree 1

38 minutes ago, Reorte said:

There's that nonsense about "create a bow wave" that's been around for years, so that might explain it. As would just assuming it's no more than a shallow puddle, or not even noticing it at all.

It is not nonsense, at least not in principle.  What is not emphasised is how slow you need to go to get the right sized bow wave, anything much above walking pace and it will be too big.  Often people are told you must go fast enough to create a bow wave,  when in reality they should be told to slow down to make a small bow wave.  The Audi with L plates at 6:22 shows how it should be done.

• Agree 4

• RMweb Premium
21 minutes ago, Titan said:

It is not nonsense, at least not in principle.  What is not emphasised is how slow you need to go to get the right sized bow wave, anything much above walking pace and it will be too big.  Often people are told you must go fast enough to create a bow wave,  when in reality they should be told to slow down to make a small bow wave.  The Audi with L plates at 6:22 shows how it should be done.

Absolutely true, at any speed you’ll get a bow wave, what you don’t want is to go in fast enough to get a bow wave like HMS Ark Royal on its way to the Falklands!

Slow and steady will cause a small bow wave which will help keep a slight cavitation (basically stop the engine bay filling up to the water level) in the engine bay. This only works over short distances of course, after a good few yards the engine bay fills regardless, then you just hope you made the right call, and the designers put the intake in a sensible position :D

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, PhilJ W said:

I notice that one particular make, BMW seems to suffer the worst. Not a criticism of the drivers, it could be electronics in a vulnerable position. 

There's a BMW later on that gets through without trouble, so you might want to revisit your statement about the drivers!

On a personal note, I found it encouraging that the Zafira got through.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
36 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

There's a BMW later on that gets through without trouble, so you might want to revisit your statement about the drivers!

On a personal note, I found it encouraging that the Zafira got through.

Luckily it put the dashboard fire out as it went through :lol:

• Funny 1

25 minutes ago, stewartingram said:

Not 1 vehicle ( so it seemed) tried their brakes, to dry them after going through.

MGs (the Chinese ones) boast of automatic brake wiping. Not a feature I've seen anyone else mention ever.

• RMweb Premium
26 minutes ago, stewartingram said:

2 things I noticed.

Not 1 vehicle ( so it seemed) tried their brakes, to dry them after going through.

A small number of cars entered the water, then turned their headlights on!

Lights could have been on “auto” which on most makes means if the wipers come on (as they may have getting splashed screen) the lamps come on as it assumes it’s raining.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, 30801 said:

MGs (the Chinese ones) boast of automatic brake wiping. Not a feature I've seen anyone else mention ever.

Quite a few makes have “brake disc preparation” built in.

• Like 1