The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Driving standards

hayfield

15 hours ago, boxbrownie said:

Also depends where the queue is, at signal controlled queues it’s one thing

And it was crystal clear in my original post on the subject that that is what I was talking about.

(Even then, if you're driving a normal car you don't need to leave a parking-space sized gap to be able to see the tyres of the car in front.)

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

https://www.driverknowledgetests.com/resources/how-much-distance-should-you-leave-when-you-stop-behind-another-vehicle/

When I did a Police driving course in Glasgow they told me to leave enough room so I could maneuver out of the way if I saw something bad coming up behind me, also as the link above says it will allow me to go round the car in front if it breaks down. I can see the logic of the "see the rear tyres" bit but I would think that it's overkill distance-wise...

Changing the subject why do people stop about 6ft behind the solid white line at traffic lights? Do they not realise that those markings in the tarmac just in front of them are sensors which detect a vehicle and so affect the speed at which the lights can change?!

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
17 minutes ago, Hobby said:

Changing the subject why do people stop about 6ft behind the solid white line at traffic lights? Do they not realise that those markings in the tarmac just in front of them are sensors which detect a vehicle and so affect the speed at which the lights can change?!

I think I've mentioned it here before, but next to my old flat was a traffic light crossroads with advanced cycle stop lines on three of the entrances. It was biased towards the main road, and it was quite amusing to watch cars pull up to the cycle stop line on the side road, then have to wait 5 minutes or more, as the sensors at the car stop line didn't pick them up - then usually it'd change as soon as another car pull up behind them.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
29 minutes ago, Hobby said:

https://www.driverknowledgetests.com/resources/how-much-distance-should-you-leave-when-you-stop-behind-another-vehicle/

When I did a Police driving course in Glasgow they told me to leave enough room so I could maneuver out of the way if I saw something bad coming up behind me, also as the link above says it will allow me to go round the car in front if it breaks down. I can see the logic of the "see the rear tyres" bit but I would think that it's overkill distance-wise...

The “see the rear tyres” quote is what used to be taught when cars maybe had less of a turning circle, but it still holds true that as you say need to leave enough room to manoeuvre around the vehicle ahead, even nowadays with some front wheel drive cars (usually with less turning circle) the room needed is more than you imagine, with our i3 we only need to see about bumper level as the turning circle is so small, but like everything else within RMweb I forgot to specify down to the very last rivet exactly the distance required for each and every vehicle on the road :D

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium
58 minutes ago, ejstubbs said:

And it was crystal clear in my original post on the subject that that is what I was talking about.

(Even then, if you're driving a normal car you don't need to leave a parking-space sized gap to be able to see the tyres of the car in front.)

It wasn’t criticism, I was adding to the content of your post.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
36 minutes ago, Hobby said:

No they don’t, probably the same people that go charging into a hatched box area at junctions and get stuck there when the lights change and don’t understand why other motorists think they are idiots.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, boxbrownie said:

No they don’t, probably the same people that go charging into a hatched box area at junctions and get stuck there when the lights change and don’t understand why other motorists think they are idiots.

The problem then is that nothing can move and you get gridlock.  I've had the problem when drivers move on to the hatched box even if their exit is blocked. In the end I had to do the same myself otherwise I would have been stuck there for ages.

• Like 1

my landrover hasn't got a turning circle. It is more like an planetary orbit. It is not relevant the gap I leave behind the prole's car in front, a few low range moves, forwards and backwards to shove them out the way creates a big enough space so I can drive along the verge at my own pace. It pisses off the yuppies, in their beemers, too.

• Like 3
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, raymw said:

my landrover hasn't got a turning circle. It is more like an planetary orbit. It is not relevant the gap I leave behind the prole's car in front, a few low range moves, forwards and backwards to shove them out the way creates a big enough space so I can drive along the verge at my own pace. It pisses off the yuppies, in their beemers, too.

They are probably pissed off because they are the ones who people usually associate with breaking the law :lol:

• Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
17 minutes ago, raymw said:

My indicators work.

I sometimes wonder about mine, especially after oncoming vehicles have failed to stop as I turn right off the main road at our local mini-roundabout. But they do.

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Indicators in Spain are taxed when used, so therefore nobody uses them, or if they do, it's likely to be because the driver has caught the stalk whilst waving their arms round talking to, and looking at, the passengers, front or back seat, it makes no difference, so the signal is no doubt optimistic.

Mike.

• Funny 3

1 hour ago, StuAllen said:

Unbelievable 2nd time the bridge has been hit in a week - by a bus this time! Explains why the roads around town are busy today. Hope everyone is ok. https://www.theargus.co.uk/news/19260935.bus-passengers-treated-crash-bridge-rocky-lane/

Didn't even go for the high bit between the lines. I'm forever getting cars driving at me as they follow those lines for some reason.

Two for the price of one in Edinburgh.

This one from yesterday, and just down the road from me: Car crashes through garden wall into Edinburgh house

Bear in mind that the approach to this location is uphill in a 30mph limit, and the house overlooks a three-way mini roundabout.  Naughty car.  Or, I suspect more likely, incompetent/potentially homicidally careless driver?  They hit the building pretty hard, too, judging by the massive crack in the side wall.  Lucky to suffer only minor injuries.

More photos here: 

And last week there was this incident in Leith: https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/news/commercial-street-bus-crash-lothian-bus-involved-in-collision-with-nissan-qashqui-on-edinburghs-commercial-street-3211783.  Judging from the positions of the bus and the car in the photos in that article, there would seem to be little doubt about which vehicle was in the wrong place:

b25lY21zOmE3MzNiNmQyLTQwYzctNDQ3OS05ODRl

Note the sign indicating the obviously irresistible lure of the outdoor gear shop behind the bus.  (I think that that Tiso branch was able to remain open through lockdown because it includes an Alpine Bikes concession.  AFAIK the one in the city centre had to remain closed until yesterday).

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

Indicators in Spain are taxed when used, so therefore nobody uses them, or if they do, it's likely to be because the driver has caught the stalk whilst waving their arms round talking to, and looking at, the passengers, front or back seat, it makes no difference, so the signal is no doubt optimistic.

Mike.

It’s like horns in Italy.....they are all wired up to both the accel pedal and the brake lights.....:dirol_mini:

• Like 1
  • Funny 4

9 hours ago, ejstubbs said:

Two for the price of one in Edinburgh.

This one from yesterday, and just down the road from me: Car crashes through garden wall into Edinburgh house

Bear in mind that the approach to this location is uphill in a 30mph limit, and the house overlooks a three-way mini roundabout.  Naughty car.  Or, I suspect more likely, incompetent/potentially homicidally careless driver?  They hit the building pretty hard, too, judging by the massive crack in the side wall.  Lucky to suffer only minor injuries.

More photos here: 

And last week there was this incident in Leith: https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/news/commercial-street-bus-crash-lothian-bus-involved-in-collision-with-nissan-qashqui-on-edinburghs-commercial-street-3211783.  Judging from the positions of the bus and the car in the photos in that article, there would seem to be little doubt about which vehicle was in the wrong place:

b25lY21zOmE3MzNiNmQyLTQwYzctNDQ3OS05ODRl

Note the sign indicating the obviously irresistible lure of the outdoor gear shop behind the bus.  (I think that that Tiso branch was able to remain open through lockdown because it includes an Alpine Bikes concession.  AFAIK the one in the city centre had to remain closed until yesterday).

Unless they were drunk though how likely is it that the drivers involved will lose their licences?

• Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, PhilJ W said:

Not really, no leathers and no helmet......I’ll give you odds on that was stolen......cut their hands off!

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
17 minutes ago, boxbrownie said:

Not really, no leathers and no helmet......I’ll give you odds on that was stolen......cut their hands off!

Just needed some other scrotes in a stolen Beemer going the other way, game of chicken anyone?

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

4 minutes ago, Michael Hodgson said:

Probably as high as a kite 

Must have been, the report says he was "flying" down the A127!

A video of it would have been better than a still image with no sign of him, though!

• Like 1