The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Driving standards

hayfield

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, kevinlms said:

Probably not a good idea to reverse back out, without someone having done a proper safety inspection.

A safety inspection was probably the very last thing on the drivers mind at the time.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, PhilJ W said:

I notice that the car stopped once it had backed out. Probably the usual scenario of an elderly driver and an automatic gearbox.

But officer, I was pressing the brake pedal as hard as I could........the car just shot forward.......”yes sir, shall we just step out the vehicle and tell me what that license plate over there says?”

:wacko:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, boxbrownie said:

But officer, I was pressing the brake pedal as hard as I could........the car just shot forward.......”yes sir, shall we just step out the vehicle and tell me what that license plate over there says?”

:wacko:

Why oh Why is there no requirement for a proper and regular eye test for drivers?

I might add in some cases a regular psychiatric one as well

• Agree 5

14 hours ago, boxbrownie said:

I would suggest that, if you need to be able to see the pedals clearly - indeed, at all - in order to be able to drive the car safely, then you can't drive the car safely.  I think what happens in these kinds of incident is that the driver's situational awareness and motor engrams get out of sync.  You can have 20:20 eyesight but if the network connection between that perfect visual perception and the bit of the brain that tells your foot what to do has temporarily dropped out then you won't be able to exercise proper control over the vehicle.

• Agree 4

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, ejstubbs said:

I would suggest that, if you need to be able to see the pedals clearly - indeed, at all - in order to be able to drive the car safely, then you can't drive the car safely.  I think what happens in these kinds of incident is that the driver's situational awareness and motor engrams get out of sync.  You can have 20:20 eyesight but if the network connection between that perfect visual perception and the bit of the brain that tells your foot what to do has temporarily dropped out then you won't be able to exercise proper control over the vehicle.

Yes, I agree.........sorry for the light hearted remark, I shall contain myself to the absolute minimum of humour.

:rolleyes:

• Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
11 minutes ago, johnofwessex said:

More to the point though why is there no mechanism to give the driver an on the spot disqualification as they are clearly not fit to hold a licence?

Because we live in a country with a strong tradition of the rule of law and not a police state. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

1 minute ago, Compound2632 said:

Because we live in a country with a strong tradition of the rule of law and not a police state. 

There are however a number of cases in particular drink driving where an on the spot ban pending a court hearing would be appropriate, and indeed that is what is done in the state of Victoria, Australia

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

23 minutes ago, johnofwessex said:

There are however a number of cases in particular drink driving where an on the spot ban pending a court hearing would be appropriate, and indeed that is what is done in the state of Victoria, Australia

have heard of cases where the drink driver has been held over night put before the magistrait in the morning and had theyre licence suspended for 180 days or more 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, davknigh said:

I’ve always thought that a portable car crusher would be a useful accessory at roadside breath checks. Blow over a certain level and say goodbye to the car.

Cheers,

David

With the drunk driver still in it?

Mike.

• Agree 1
  • Funny 4

5 hours ago, davknigh said:

I’ve always thought that a portable car crusher would be a useful accessory at roadside breath checks. Blow over a certain level and say goodbye to the car.

Cheers,

David

I have suggested that a vet should accompany every Traffic Patrol  (Think Tom Cats)

• Like 1

On 08/03/2021 at 13:08, Phil Traxson said:

Do bear in mind that there now seem to be an equal number of female idiot drivers too!!

Not to start a 'women drivers' rant as I know know that's not the case, but one thing I've observed the fairer sex do often at the wheel is apply makeup. Mobile phones are still a poblem too even though its points and a fine.

• Like 1