The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Driving standards

hayfield

• RMweb Premium
18 minutes ago, 45568 said:

Should I start a new thread for parking standards...??

various_001.JPG.e2f90c7c9b5a83c15d733c31b2d573a9.JPG

Cheers from Oz,

Peter C.

That's something I see more and more often these days,  it's often wide cars,  like Mercedes and Audi.

Parking spaces minimum size was designed years ago,  and even in a modern small car you have difficulty getting out of them when surrounded by cars. 

• Agree 2

7 minutes ago, TheQ said:

That's something I see more and more often these days,  it's often wide cars,  like Mercedes and Audi.

Parking spaces minimum size was designed years ago,  and even in a modern small car you have difficulty getting out of them when surrounded by cars. 

No, the reason here was sheer selfishness as there was a tiny bit of shade from a tree at that spot, no cars either side of him, just a twonk who thinks no one else matters! Sad thing is, it was outside 'Hobbytec' model shop, and according to Mrs 45568, he came out of the hobby shop before me and put stuff in the car. Hope he isn't a railway modeller, he'll give the hobby a bad name!

Cheers from Oz,

Peter C.

• Funny 3

3 hours ago, 45568 said:

No, the reason here was sheer selfishness as there was a tiny bit of shade from a tree at that spot, no cars either side of him, just a twonk who thinks no one else matters! Sad thing is, it was outside 'Hobbytec' model shop, and according to Mrs 45568, he came out of the hobby shop before me and put stuff in the car. Hope he isn't a railway modeller, he'll give the hobby a bad name!

Cheers from Oz,

Peter C.

If he is a railway modeller he must be broad gauge........

• Funny 1

• RMweb Premium

Nah, he’s not worried about the shade just doesn’t want the doors dinked by cars parked next to it, see this more and more nowadays, always brand new “posh” cars.....more money than curtesy.

Saw a lovely video on YouTube I believe, it was a car just like that and two guys (in the US) parked a massive tricked up, huge wheeled 4X4 each side, so close the there was no room at all to o-en a door, quite funny really.

• Like 5

5 hours ago, 45568 said:

Should I start a new thread for parking standards...??

various_001.JPG.e2f90c7c9b5a83c15d733c31b2d573a9.JPG

Cheers from Oz,

Peter C.

Thought I recognised the location. Near JB Hi-Fi in Myaree.

Never took a picture, but there used to be a BMW saloon that parked next to the (now closed) Muzz Buzz in Maddington using four bays - the car sitting in the middle of the group so that nothing could park alongside or in front/behind it. Assumed it was the franchisee/operator of the coffee shop.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
38 minutes ago, boxbrownie said:

Nah, he’s not worried about the shade just doesn’t want the doors dinked by cars parked next to it, see this more and more nowadays, always brand new “posh” cars.....more money than curtesy.

Saw a lovely video on YouTube I believe, it was a car just like that and two guys (in the US) parked a massive tricked up, huge wheeled 4X4 each side, so close the there was no room at all to o-en a door, quite funny really.

Hi

Having had my car damaged in this way more times than I care to mention I can understand their thinking. I’ve seen people these days with no awareness of their surroundings just flinging their doors open without bothering what they might hit.

cheers

paul

Edited by PaulCheffus
Spelling
  • Agree 7

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, boxbrownie said:

I've seen that video, very funny. The (woman) driver ended up getting into her car via the hatchback and with some difficulty climbing over the seats and just as she made it into the drivers seat the two 4x4's were driven away.

Edited by PhilJ W
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, PaulCheffus said:

Hi

Having had my car damaged in this way more times than I care to mention I can understand their thinking. I’ve seen people these days with no awareness of their surroundings just flinging their doors open without bothering what they might hit.

cheers

paul

And that’s no excuse for parking like a tw@t though......is it?

• Agree 5

• RMweb Premium

Occupying two parking bays when a parking area is busy is just plain selfish. Though one selfish idiot got his come uppance at the local Tesco's a few months ago. He had parked his BMW straddling the white line demarking two bays so one chap parked his car at 90 degrees close to the back of the BMW trapping it in the (two) parking bays. He was most put out at having to wait fifteen minutes for the other driver to let him out.

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Driving a RHD car in a country of LHD cars can make parking interesting when one of the YPLAC drivers abandons their car thinking that no one will park at the side of them due to them not being able to get out of their car either. 

Works a treat in Leroy Merlin!

Mike.

• Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
On 12/08/2019 at 11:24, petethemole said:

Henri was a French onion (& garlic) seller who used to work Southampton and the surrounding area for years, but I haven't seen him since the '90s. He had a farm and used to bring a truckload over, park it up (he probably slept in it) and cycle over a wide area selling onions. He definitely wore a black beret and usually a leather jacket, but I don't remember whether he had a striped top. I wouldn't be surprised if the guy on the M27 was him.

Sorry (not really) to revive the onion sellers (as it were), but I just found this, dated 1996, on a local history page on FB:

image.png

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Sometimes you think they are trying to catch drivers out.. There are no additional signs to say you are coming up to this situation.

The extended pavements were designed to "reduce traffic speed, deter rat running traffic and improve the environment for walking." part of the new Earlham Norwich green Norwich Pedalway..

image[6].jpg

So a cyclist come hurtling along the pavement , you are unable to see them coming looking at the height of the wall so you pull forward and...

Edited by TheQ
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, TheQ said:

Sometimes you think they are trying to catch drivers out.. There are no additional signs to say you are coming up to this situation.

The extended pavements were designed to "reduce traffic speed, deter rat running traffic and improve the environment for walking." part of the new Earlham Norwich green Norwich Pedalway..

image[6].jpg

So a cyclist come hurtling along the pavement , you are unable to see them coming looking at the height of the wall so you pull forward and...

Cycling on the footpath is illegal anyway so the cyclist would be at fault.

5 minutes ago, boxbrownie said:

Is it still illegal?

I am sure I read somewhere it is now allowed.........I hope I am wrong.

"part of the new Earlham Norwich green Norwich Pedalway.." so I'm guessing it's actually a cycle path despite the lack of any obvious signs....

• RMweb Premium
Just now, 30801 said:

"part of the new Earlham Norwich green Norwich Pedalway.." so I'm guessing it's actually a cycle path despite the lack of any obvious signs....

Yes apparently it is still illegal to "willfully" cycle on a footpath/pavement, but as you say that will probably be classed as a cycle path also :rolleyes:

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
Just now, 30801 said:

Yep the programme isn't complete yet so the pavement cycling signs haven't arrived yet.  That still. Won't help the driver who can't see past that wall.. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, 30801 said:

I would have thought, (not having any professional/legal insight into the matter), that correct signage is a pre requisite to such things? After all, all road/cycle path users need to know what's going on.,

Mike.

• Agree 4