The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Driving standards

hayfield

• RMweb Premium
30 minutes ago, Coldgunner said:

Ahh, everyone is back to work as normal now, Friday night is once again pratt night.

Indicators (lack of)

Speeding

Tailgating

Just because it’s Friday, you don’t have to do those things :lol:

• Funny 3

On 30/12/2019 at 11:53, rockershovel said:

The CC in my Skoda consists of a couple of buttons on the left-hand stalk; one to engage/disengage, one to set the speed. It doesn’t engage or disengage automatically, and it doesn’t detect the distance to the car in front. 

That wouldnt pass type approval, the CC MUST disengage as soon as the brake pedal is used.

• Agree 6

1 hour ago, royaloak said:

That wouldnt pass type approval, the CC MUST disengage as soon as the brake pedal is used.

I think you’ve missed the subsequent discussion ?

personally, I rarely use it. I think it’s dangerous, on roads as busy as ours.

Edited by rockershovel
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

11 minutes ago, rockershovel said:

I think you’ve missed the subsequent discussion ?

I caught up with it after posting, but by the time I had arrived at my post it had been liked so it would have been rude to delete it.

I agree, I only use mine when the roads are nice and quite otherwise you are just pushing the buttons all the time.

Edited by royaloak
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, royaloak said:

I caught up with it after posting, but by the time I had arrived at my post it had been liked so it would have been rude to delete it.

I agree, I only use mine when the roads are nice and quite otherwise you are just pushing the buttons all the time.

in the waggon use it whenever I'm on the motor way set it 54 and off I go always got 2 mph extra at the press of a button for an overtake if needed . when I had the jag found it much more awkward to use and would be a lot busier sitting at 70  have to maintain awareness and pay attention more think that's what some forget and get lulled into it and then its panic mode when something happens 

• Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
14 hours ago, rockershovel said:

Oddly I almost never use it on Motorways as other users driving is always too erratic, but on our rural roads I use it a lot, the i3 has CC which utilises the strong motor regeneration very well and along with the very immediate torque from the electric motor it makes the CC speed switch on the steering wheel almost as responsive as the throttle pedal, makes for a very relaxing pottering along quiet A and B roads.

• Like 1

HGV drivers think 2mph is an overtaking margin?  

So... 60mph is 88ft/sec, that 3ft in 2 sec, near enough. An HGV with 40ft trailer is what, 60ft long? Allow twice that for the whole manoeuvre, 120ft. That’s (120/3) x 2 = 80secs for the complete manoeuvre, assuming that there are no other factors. It requires (80x88)/5280 = 1.3 miles of road. 

Thats all rather interesting, because it proves that the general perception of crawling along for miles on end, 10-15mph below traffic speeds, while lorries crawl past each other, is actually true! 

• Like 4
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
40 minutes ago, rockershovel said:

So... 60mph is 88ft/sec, that 3ft in 2 sec, near enough. An HGV with 40ft trailer is what, 60ft long? Allow twice that for the whole manoeuvre, 120ft. That’s (120/3) x 2 = 80secs for the complete manoeuvre, assuming that there are no other factors. It requires (80x88)/5280 = 1.3 miles of road. 

Thats all rather interesting, because it proves that the general perception of crawling along for miles on end, 10-15mph below traffic speeds, while lorries crawl past each other, is actually true! 

A friend of mine was some years ago commuting to the University of Southampton from the Oxford area, along the A34. As a university lecturer, his Christmas letter took the form of a physics paper including a question along the lines above. Part (c) asked, with feeling, "In which county will the manoeuvre be completed?"

• Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, rockershovel said:

Known as elephant racing...…………….

Once got stuck on the A1 for 4-5 miles whilst one truck crept passed another. A couple of times, the overtaking lorry in lane 2 was going marginally slower than the one he was trying to pass.

Why can't the one being overtaken back off for a few seconds?

Edited by newbryford
  • Like 2
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
16 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

A friend of mine was some years ago commuting to the University of Southampton from the Oxford area, along the A34. As a university lecturer, his Christmas letter took the form of a physics paper including a question along the lines above. Part (c) asked, with feeling, "In which county will the manoeuvre be completed?"

The A34 was particularly bad for this when a lot of it was still not dual carriageway. You would be stuck behind two or more lorries and as soon as they got to a dual stretch the overtaking would begin...just the lorries, which would block the dual stretch completely.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, newbryford said:

Known as elephant racing...…………….

Once got stuck on the A1 for 4-5 miles whilst one truck crept passed another. A couple of times, the overtaking lorry in lane 2 was going marginally slower than the one he was trying to pass.

The M18 from the A1M to the M180 is a favourite stretch for prolonged elephant racing. More than once have I been caught behind a pair for the full distance, gambling on which one will reach the top first as they edge in front and behind each other whilst rocketing aslong.

Mike.

• Friendly/supportive 2

1 hour ago, newbryford said:

Because once a heavy loses speed and/or momentum, depending on the situation, it can take miles to get it back. 

I did quite a lot of hitching in the UK in the late 1960s/early 1970s. Lifts in transport trucks could be very instructive. I don't know how it could be arranged, but I think all car drivers would learn a lot from a trip in the passenger seat of a truck. They do not behave in the same ways as a car. (Apologies to the truck drivers on here, who know all that already.)

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
55 minutes ago, pH said:

Because once a heavy loses speed and/or momentum, depending on the situation, it can take miles to get it back. 

I did quite a lot of hitching in the UK in the late 1960s/early 1970s. Lifts in transport trucks could be very instructive. I don't know how it could be arranged, but I think all car drivers would learn a lot from a trip in the passenger seat of a truck. They do not behave in the same ways as a car. (Apologies to the truck drivers on here, who know all that already.)

They seem to get up to speed reasonably well on my local bypass roads and then hit the limiter.

Worst case is a pair of trucks with limiters seemingly set about 0.25mph apart.

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

4 hours ago, rockershovel said:

except that no HGV over 3.5t can do your magical 60 mph as they have all been restricted to 56mph max since 2004 . my truck is limited to the above 56mph as are the vast majority some are restricted to 54 some 50 . i choose to run at 54  so  A im not bouncing off the limiter all day long  and B should i come up behind a larger slower moving truck at the bottom of a hill i can use the extra speed to complete any overtake faster and safer rather than finding myself chugging along in lane two parallel unable to complete the maneuver so inconveniancing fellow truck drivers behind me some of us try to drive with other road users in mind . yes we sometimes take a few miles to complete an over take and inconveniance other road users but theres a real easy answer to that "stop buying stuff " and there will be less hgvs on the road 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

2 hours ago, peanuts said:

except that no HGV over 3.5t can do your magical 60 mph as they have all been restricted to 56mph max since 2004 . my truck is limited to the above 56mph as are the vast majority some are restricted to 54 some 50 . i choose to run at 54  so  A im not bouncing off the limiter all day long  and B should i come up behind a larger slower moving truck at the bottom of a hill i can use the extra speed to complete any overtake faster and safer rather than finding myself chugging along in lane two parallel unable to complete the maneuver so inconveniancing fellow truck drivers behind me some of us try to drive with other road users in mind . yes we sometimes take a few miles to complete an over take and inconveniance other road users but theres a real easy answer to that "stop buying stuff " and there will be less hgvs on the road 

And there was me convinced that the limit had been upped to 60 a year or two back, at the same time as they changed the rules on the smaller commercial vehicles to include the larger "transit" type vans in with the HGV's!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

39 minutes ago, Phil Traxson said:

And there was me convinced that the limit had been upped to 60 a year or two back, at the same time as they changed the rules on the smaller commercial vehicles to include the larger "transit" type vans in with the HGV's!

The speed limit for a HGV on a motorway is 60mph, but limiters are set at 56mph or less. The speed limits that changed was the single carriageway, from 40 to 50, but only in a national speed limit area, and dual carriageway 50 to 60.

David

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

3 hours ago, Billy Flathead said:

The speed limit for a HGV on a motorway is 60mph, but limiters are set at 56mph or less. The speed limits that changed was the single carriageway, from 40 to 50, but only in a national speed limit area, and dual carriageway 50 to 60.

David

except in scotland where the old limits apply 

• Agree 4
  • Informative/Useful 1