The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Driving standards

hayfield

• RMweb Premium
44 minutes ago, Titan said:

I think the celeb was in the Range Rover in Lane 3, which did need to have the traffic stopped.  Doubt she asked anyone to film it...

She actually told the BBC she was shocked that most people that stopped “to help” just got out their cars and immediately starting filming on their phones, she (and her driver) went to aid the driver of the car, I am no fan, actually I didn’t even know who she was, but it appears she did the right thing, not many other people.

• Agree 6

• RMweb Premium
30 minutes ago, kevinlms said:

So if there was no other traffic in the other lanes, the truck would have continued for how much further? Piss poor attitude if that was the case, doesn't matter how much of a fool the car driver was.

After all, if the truck driver WAS AWARE as you suggest, he would have no idea on whether or not the extent of any injuries. The fact that the car driver had no injuries, was no thanks to thetruck driver.

Unfortunately that kind of incident is quite common, the car usually cuts slightly in front of the cab without the truck driving noticing (blind spot) and the car gets a unintended Pitt manoeuvre, of course sometimes it’s the truck that causes the incident (usually LHD cabs) by cutting across the cars lane without seeing the car, once the car is across the front of the cab it is completely invisible to the truck driver hence to apparent crazy situation, and a seven or eight ton (cab alone) just doesn’t “feel” the car stuck in front.

Thankfully most of these incidents just end up in dents and embarrassment rather than serious injury.

Edited by boxbrownie
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Gold

i find it hard to believe a lorry driver wouldnt see a car being pushed along in front of his unit, or if not, to not be able to feel the initial bump or screeching of tyres, blowing of horn etc 

remember this from a few years back, the clio driver iirc got done too but how can you not see or feel this at 60mph

edit: newspaper article added, yes the clio driver got done and the truck driver cleared, still cant see how he didnt know though! 

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1281575/Lorry-driver-shunted-Renault-Clio-motorway-60mph-cleared.html

Edited by big jim
  • Like 1

Note that these incidents happened on damp road conditions.  There would be no screeching of tyres and the force required to push the car along would be considerably less than usual.  Has anyone actually drawn a sight line from the drivers eyes down to the road to see whether or not the car was completely in a blind spot? I don't think it is possible to judge it accurately enough just from what we have seen so far.

• Agree 4

• RMweb Gold

if you read the newspaper report it says there were tests conducted afterwards regards line of sight etc, also it says there were no blindspot mirrors on the arclid truck but they have fitted them to the fleet now

its surprising if you put ‘car pushed down motorway by lorry’ just how many incidents come up!

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, big jim said:

if you read the newspaper report it says there were tests conducted afterwards regards line of sight etc, also it says there were no blindspot mirrors on the arclid truck but they have fitted them to the fleet now

its surprising if you put ‘car pushed down motorway by lorry’ just how many incidents come up!

Exactly, it’s not an uncommon scenario, looks unlikely that the truck driver would not notice but it’s entirely possible.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium

I  know in the past we have seen and commented on Russian driving standards with

You Tube videos , but so far we don't seen to have covered China .

Now it seems to me Russian drivers are just dangerous , Chinese drivers excel in being

not only dangerous but totally inept also .

They seem to have no spatial awareness , more like tunnel vision , total lack of self preservation ,

so just look where you want to go and carry on , if you want to merge into the next lane with the

other traffic just force your way in and get a few scrapes on the car '

They are even worse for obeying traffic lights and junction conventions . If and accident is going

to happen rule one is to sound the horn and continue , after the collision continue  to sound horn

while screaming loudly . Using the brakes to try and avoid something seems to frowned on , it must

make you a sissy or something .

Here is one example . This does not show some of the really nasty and obviously fatal accidents

that are in some other videos . So no cyclists being squashed under the wheels of lorry's , but they

are out there .

Maybe I won't moan so much about UK standards after all .       :no:

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Titan said:

I think the blind spot mirrors should be mandatory.   There greatest use would be checking that there are no idiot pedestrians walking just in front of the radiator when the lights turn green...

Don't forget the cyclists.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, big jim said:

i find it hard to believe a lorry driver wouldnt see a car being pushed along in front of his unit, or if not, to not be able to feel the initial bump or screeching of tyres, blowing of horn etc 

You've obviously never driven an artic then. You certainly wouldn't see a car down there when you're three feet back from the windscreen.

It's surprising how little you can "feel" when driving even a 6-ton tractor unit with no trailer, let alone a fully loaded 44-tonner. A hatchback type car bumping against the front would probably not register above all the bumping going on from an unloaded rear axle.

Paul

Edited by Sprintex
  • Like 1
  • Agree 7
  • Informative/Useful 2

6 hours ago, Titan said:

I think the blind spot mirrors should be mandatory.   There greatest use would be checking that there are no idiot pedestrians walking just in front of the radiator when the lights turn green...

They should be mandatory yes, although it's still no guard against pedestrian stupidity, especially when it's raining and dark in poor street-lighting as I found out some years ago.

Let's just say that the human body doesn't come off well when used as a wheel chock :umbrage:

Paul

Edited by Sprintex
  • Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Sidecar Racer said:

I  know in the past we have seen and commented on Russian driving standards with

You Tube videos , but so far we don't seen to have covered China .

Now it seems to me Russian drivers are just dangerous , Chinese drivers excel in being

not only dangerous but totally inept also .

They seem to have no spatial awareness , more like tunnel vision , total lack of self preservation ,

so just look where you want to go and carry on , if you want to merge into the next lane with the

other traffic just force your way in and get a few scrapes on the car '

They are even worse for obeying traffic lights and junction conventions . If and accident is going

to happen rule one is to sound the horn and continue , after the collision continue  to sound horn

while screaming loudly . Using the brakes to try and avoid something seems to frowned on , it must

make you a sissy or something .

Here is one example . This does not show some of the really nasty and obviously fatal accidents

that are in some other videos . So no cyclists being squashed under the wheels of lorry's , but they

are out there .

Maybe I won't moan so much about UK standards after all .       :no:

Must take forever to clean up their multi-car pile ups. As more people run into the wreckage, due to rubber necking. Or starting their own pile ups.

Another common theme is that, when one vehicle does past, the road behind MUST be clear!

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Sounds fun!

Ive just booked a skills day for my eldest lad (15yr old) for Christmas with young driver where he will get to drive at 70 mph on a ‘private motorway’ which is actually part of an old runway at the fire service training school in Moreton in marsh, they also get to practice avoiding action, slalom driving etc 

he’s already had half a dozen driving lessons with them over the last couple of years which will help him when he finally gets to go out on the road for real 

• Like 12

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Barry O said:

A1 yesterday..foggy..most cars have headlights on..except for two silver cars..an Audi and a BMW...one of which nearly haod a wack up the back from the other one...

Baz

Nearly? What a shame, silver being almost the  same colour as fog!

• Agree 6

Yesterday, taking my car in for its MoT, I was behind another car, doing, quite correctly, 30mph in a 30 zone. Then we entered a 50mph section but remained at 30, even braking for a slight bend which is perfectly safe at 50. Then we re-entered a 30 zone......and they speeded up !

• Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, caradoc said:

Yesterday, taking my car in for its MoT, I was behind another car, doing, quite correctly, 30mph in a 30 zone. Then we entered a 50mph section but remained at 30, even braking for a slight bend which is perfectly safe at 50. Then we re-entered a 30 zone......and they speeded up !

I can only assume that the speeding up was because he'd forgotten that the speed limit is 40 mph everywhere...

• Funny 6

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, Sprintex said:

They should be mandatory yes, although it's still no guard against pedestrian stupidity, especially when it's raining and dark in poor street-lighting as I found out some years ago.

Let's just say that the human body doesn't come off well when used as a wheel chock :umbrage:

Paul

Sorry to hear that matey, not a nice experience at all, regardless of the victims stupidity it doesn’t compensate for horror of finding a pile of soggy clothing under the wheels, I always feel for the drivers of trains when these stupid “jumpers” end up as mincemeat, some drovers never drive again and are put on other duties or leave the job entirely. :(

• Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium
22 hours ago, caradoc said:

Have you tried sending a text at 50.....:D

19 hours ago, boxbrownie said:

Sorry to hear that matey, not a nice experience at all, regardless of the victims stupidity it doesn’t compensate for horror of finding a pile of soggy clothing under the wheels, I always feel for the drivers of trains when these stupid “jumpers” end up as mincemeat, some drovers never drive again and are put on other duties or leave the job entirely. :(

Not sure that "stupid" is fair - more a case of having such severe life issues and/or psychiatric illness that they are incapable of making reasoned decisions.  Could happen to any one of us, at any time.....

• Like 1
  • Agree 5

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, polybear said:

Not sure that "stupid" is fair - more a case of having such severe life issues and/or psychiatric illness that they are incapable of making reasoned decisions.  Could happen to any one of us, at any time.....

Indeed, having witnessed someone having a major mental breakdown I agree entirely. Fortunately in this case he wasn't suicidal and help was at hand in the form of a social worker. Just as well as I felt absolutely helpless.

• Friendly/supportive 6