The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Driving standards

hayfield

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, ejstubbs said:

The kicker?  Checking his car's registration number on the DVLA web site indicates that it was untaxed and had no MOT.  I feel a call to 101 coming on...

The Constabulary aren't interested in untaxed vehicles as I found out once a few years back, in the days of paper discs.

"Nothing to do with us" when I tried to report an untaxed vehicle parked not too far from the Police Station. Contact DVLA I was told, it's their responsibility now.

I did just that and the DVLA was just as unconcerned "WE have to see it to take action", we cannot go on the word of a member of the public.(?)

Result: Another driver gets away without paying.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Ian Abel said:

Best of luck with that wish/hope!

Here (I'm in Minnesota) it's actually the law to have lights on when there's any precipitation, been that way for more than 3 years now and we STILL have the same sorts of stupidity. Classic is white cars in a snow storm with no lights, doing more than a safe speed and also up your arse!

:rtfm::butcher::triniti:

That reminds me of when I was caught in a blizzard (white out) coming south on the M6 between Manchester and Birmingham. The only lane that was usable was the middle lane where everyone was moving at no more than 40 mph. Then two cars shot past in the outside lane at twice that speed. Both were white, racing each other bumper to bumper. About half an hour later I passed them both piled up on the centre reservation with the drivers standing forlornly alongside.

• Like 8
  • Funny 1

5 hours ago, Ian Abel said:

Best of luck with that wish/hope!

Here (I'm in Minnesota) it's actually the law to have lights on when there's any precipitation, been that way for more than 3 years now and we STILL have the same sorts of stupidity. Classic is white cars in a snow storm with no lights, doing more than a safe speed and also up your arse!

:rtfm::butcher::triniti:

one of the things instructer drummed into my partner whilst recently learning was if the wipers  on lights on . and try grey or silver car in your mirrors no lights in torrential rain 

• Like 3
  • Agree 3

10 hours ago, melmerby said:

The Constabulary aren't interested in untaxed vehicles as I found out once a few years back, in the days of paper discs.

"Nothing to do with us" when I tried to report an untaxed vehicle parked not too far from the Police Station. Contact DVLA I was told, it's their responsibility now.

I did just that and the DVLA was just as unconcerned "WE have to see it to take action", we cannot go on the word of a member of the public.(?)

Which raises the question, do the DVLA actually go looking? Because, if they don't, that means there is, effectively, no enforcement.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PatB said:

Which raises the question, do the DVLA actually go looking? Because, if they don't, that means there is, effectively, no enforcement.

they certainly do around here regular night time sweeps seem to take place looking for untaxed cars parked on the streer you see them with the wheel clamp and a big yellow sticker on the glass .mind you there are one or two repeat offenders so could just be opperating on "inteligence" .also from reading local police twitter feeds they do a lot of stop and checks on a regular basis on certain roads leading to certain estates and the list always includes a lot of untaxed vehicles siezed 

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

The NDR  Coltishall Roundabout is partially blocked this Morning.... There is a parcel Farce lorry parked on it. Unfortunately I had no way of taking a picture.

• Friendly/supportive 1

The figure is that nationally about 10% of vehicles have a 'paperwork issue' - no Tax/MOT/Insurance and the occupants of 25% of those vehicles are 'of interest' to the Police.

The evidence also suggests that 'Traffic Officers' are the most productive in terms of arrests - for non traffic offences - after all how do offenders get around?

It is also suspected but without evidence that traffic policing 'bears down' on offenders - yes there may well be millions of reasons why A. Scroat ESQ should be in  front of the Beak but if you keep taking his car of him its a practical way of making his life difficult.

However Traffic Offences are not a Home Office priority.

Oh, and IMHO

1. Driving bans should be treated as an injunction with power of arrest - so you are held in the cells until a Judge is available to deal with you - up to two years inside.  Ideal job for the Police on a Friday!

2. Being a real prat in a car should get the same response as being a prat with a gun

• Agree 8

• RMweb Gold
16 hours ago, melmerby said:

Road Tax is a ridiculous piece of bureaucracy. Rather than enforcing it, better to get rid of it altogether and raise the equivalent sum of money by increasing fuel tax. That way, those who use the roads most pay the most. And overseas users (many of them permanently resident here) pay the same to use our roads as we do.

• Like 1
  • Agree 9

• RMweb Gold
On 27/10/2019 at 09:44, Nick C said:

Especially as, for some utterly insane reason, DRLs only light up on the front of the car...

Ah yes, I have seen many a moron driving along motorways at night with just DRLs, oblivious to the fact they have not actually got headlights (and thus taillights) on.

On 26/10/2019 at 14:33, Coldgunner said:

P***ing down with rain out there today, visibility limited.  Ideal conditions for sitting 5ft from my arse in your black focus without your lights on. I also wish people would use more than their DRL/marker lights when driving in the dark or bad weather.

Be careful what you wish for. One of my pet peeves is the tw@ts who drive around with fog lights on all the time or think they are required for rainy conditions. They should all be made to ride a motorbike in the rain and see how much fun it is being dazzled by fog lights that should not be on.

• Like 1
  • Agree 11

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Joseph_Pestell said:

Road Tax is a ridiculous piece of bureaucracy. Rather than enforcing it, better to get rid of it altogether and raise the equivalent sum of money by increasing fuel tax. That way, those who use the roads most pay the most. And overseas users (many of them permanently resident here) pay the same to use our roads as we do.

I agree about putting the "Road Tax" onto fuel duty. However, some sort of vehicle ownership registration is still required and perhaps that needs a rethink too. 

• Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
On 27/10/2019 at 09:44, Nick C said:

Especially as, for some utterly insane reason, DRLs only light up on the front of the car...

Not on my Focus.

As soon as the key is in the area and a door has been opened bright leds on the front and red lensed lamps on the rear are lit.

Many other vehicles appear to be the same.

Edited by melmerby
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Joseph_Pestell said:

I would've supported that a few years ago but the trend towards electric, even if it's still a minority, would break that. The alternative that sometimes gets suggested for road pricing requires tracking, and I find that pretty appalling.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, 57xx said:

Ah yes, I have seen many a moron driving along motorways at night with just DRLs, oblivious to the fact they have not actually got headlights (and thus taillights) on.

I remain utterly unconvinced by compulsory DRLs on all new vehicles.

• Agree 10

2 hours ago, johnofwessex said:

The figure is that nationally about 10% of vehicles have a 'paperwork issue' - no Tax/MOT/Insurance and the occupants of 25% of those vehicles are 'of interest' to the Police.

The evidence also suggests that 'Traffic Officers' are the most productive in terms of arrests - for non traffic offences - after all how do offenders get around?

It is also suspected but without evidence that traffic policing 'bears down' on offenders - yes there may well be millions of reasons why A. Scroat ESQ should be in  front of the Beak but if you keep taking his car of him its a practical way of making his life difficult.

It tends to work the same here. An awful lot of what might be regarded as medium grade drug busts happen because someone was batting along a major highway in the small hours, well over the speed limit, with half their lights not working, and a bootful of something expensive and illicit.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

9 minutes ago, Reorte said:

I remain utterly unconvinced by compulsory DRLs on all new vehicles.

I seem to recall seeing a report after they were made compulsory in Poland (I think), in that traffic accidents did drop overall... however, the accident rate for more vulnerable road users (pedestrians/cyclists) rose, they think because they get lost in the lights when drivers are looking at the traffic. Almost certainly not helped by the trend to have really bright LED DRLs in cars these days

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
27 minutes ago, PatB said:

It tends to work the same here. An awful lot of what might be regarded as medium grade drug busts happen because someone was batting along a major highway in the small hours, well over the speed limit, with half their lights not working, and a bootful of something expensive and illicit.

eerr umm..

https://www.edp24.co.uk/news/crime/suffolk-roads-policing-bury-st-edmunds-arrest-1-6342722

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, melmerby said:

Not on my Focus.

As soon as the key is in the area and a door has been opened bright leds on the front and red lensed lamps on the rear are lit.

Many other vehicles appear to be the same.

What happens when you unlock the car is not the same as when you are driving. Get in the car, make sure the lights are set to Off, start the engine, get out and see if your rear lights are still on. Unless they have change it in the last 2 years, your DRLs will be on at the front and you'll have no rear illumination.

Source: My own Focus.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, 57xx said:

What happens when you unlock the car is not the same as when you are driving. Get in the car, make sure the lights are set to Off, start the engine, get out and see if your rear lights are still on. Unless they have change it in the last 2 years, your DRLs will be on at the front and you'll have no rear illumination.

Source: My own Focus.

You are right of course.

I hadn't noticed that as soon as you push the start button the rear lights go out (just tried it.)

I'll also have to see what dim dip this car has got, my previous Focus had partlit headlights as as soon as you turned the lights on when driving.

I normally go straight to main lights when I turn them on.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I have to admit to being lazy and leaving mine in Auto mode, they work fine like that for me. It also saves me being caught out with DRLs at night. This is my 3rd Focus and these headlights are the funkiest yet, they do a little dance when first coming out to check the motors work ok, they move the beam around corners when turning, adapt the beam pattern to different roads/driving conditions and have an auto full beam that raises the beam right up (no separate bulbs). The latter is probably the most annoying as very occasionally it doesn't come on when it should and pulling on the headlight stalk only causes them to flash.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
On 27/10/2019 at 11:53, raymw said:

A few years in the future, it could be a moot point. Cars connected via 5g, gps, etc.Speed limits enforced remotely. But, it would reduce income from fines, and folk would not like the discipline, (Folk's likes come into play if cash involved) so, most likely will be automatically and immediately fined (like J-walking in China) When we get the next pseudo commie government, you'll not be able to afford to drive much, anyway, motorways will be mainly cycle tracks. There will be exceptions, however, mainly party members and criminals (is there a difference?), and a high value aftermarket in hacked gps's)  (But hey, hopefully The good ole US of A will turn off their GPS satellites, so that's solved, isn't it...) 

What does the bit in bold (my bold) actually mean?

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, PatB said:

Nothing quite like drawing attention to yourself!

If they drove a normal car, at normal speeds and everything paid up, they would get away with it. 

Perhaps I'm on to something here?

• Agree 4