The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Driving standards

hayfield

• RMweb Gold
21 hours ago, hayfield said:

What you have said is correct for 4 exit roundabouts but especially where there are no directions and the roundabout only has 2 other exits using the indicator confirms you are taking the second exit, especially as you cannot do a right turn on a roundabout, to exit the roundabout you have do do a left turn. Though I can think of the odd exception, junction 1 of the M1 and there is a roundabout in Surrey with traffic lights where you can go straight across (a3?)

Not necessarily so as I do indicate right when approaching a local roundabout with only a left turn and 'straight ahead' because I am going to turn right and go all the way round the roundabout and back towards the direction from which I approached it. 

And the Highway Code only tells you to signal right if you are either going to turn to the right or go full circle.  You should not need to signal on approach if taking any other exit (exceot a left turn of course)

• Agree 3
  • Thanks 1

I regularly approach (from a single carriageway road) a roundabout at which I take the second exit, ie straight on, which is onto a dual carriageway. I use the right hand 'lane' of the roundabout and join the right hand lane of the dual carriageway, because soon after the roundabout the left hand lane is always obstructed by parked cars. Others however use the left hand 'lane' of the roundabout, join the left hand lane of the dual carriageway and on seeing the parked cars then swerve (usually without indicating) into the right hand lane; I always hang back to allow them to change lanes. Who (if anyone) is in the right or wrong here ?

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, alastairq said:

Always subject to authorised road signs & road markings.....  :)

On the topic of enforcement? More encouragement seems to be given [and rightly so] to evidence via dashcam footage.

I like the [local to me] idea of a dedicated office within the Police for dealing with dashcam footage. [Rather than previously posting on facebook]

They can be great in the case of a simple accident, but the problem with dashcam footage is that it is selective.  I've driven buses for years with all round CCTV, inside and out, as well as seen the back-office process of retrieving and viewing the footage to be passed to the police when needed, and it is easy to provide a full all-round long-term view of what has happened, along with the whole journey beforehand.  As often seen on those dashcam YouTube channels, they are only a small selective snapshot and often I look and wonder why the person thought putting it online was a good idea, and either moderating their own driving could have avoided the situation (eg still accelerating towards a developing hazard such as a slow moving vehicle crossing a roundabout ahead) or their observation has been poor, or it's obviously been cut to only show what the other driver did, not what they did to provoke the situation/in response to it...

• Like 4
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, JDW said:

They can be great in the case of a simple accident, but the problem with dashcam footage is that it is selective.  I've driven buses for years with all round CCTV, inside and out, as well as seen the back-office process of retrieving and viewing the footage to be passed to the police when needed, and it is easy to provide a full all-round long-term view of what has happened, along with the whole journey beforehand.  As often seen on those dashcam YouTube channels, they are only a small selective snapshot and often I look and wonder why the person thought putting it online was a good idea, and either moderating their own driving could have avoided the situation (eg still accelerating towards a developing hazard such as a slow moving vehicle crossing a roundabout ahead) or their observation has been poor, or it's obviously been cut to only show what the other driver did, not what they did to provoke the situation/in response to it...

ill agree with the above, remember the other week when i got assaulted on the way to work by another driver, i uploaded the footage to the police website of the other driver cutting across 3 lanes of traffic at a roundabout narrowly missing the front of my car (he also had a newborn baby in the passenger seat in a baby carrier), unfortuantly for me i didnt just let it go, take a deep breath and carry on, i stupidly pulled up along side and got out only to be confronted by a bloody big boxer looking guy who punched me and started pushing me backwards, i hastily got back in the car and called the police to report id been assaulted, went to a+e etc to be checked over where he punched me as i was begining to ache 

the result of it all the other driver can be heard aggressively shouting at me on the footage but as the assualt can't be seen i was advised to drop it as there is no evidence so he has got away with assault BUT as i crossed a white line at the next set of red lights where i got out of the car i've been told to expect a summons for dangerous driving for ignoring a red light 

in hindsight i should have just stopped behind him to get his reg no and stayed in the car but hindsight is a wonderful thing!

• Friendly/supportive 11

35 minutes ago, big jim said:

ill agree with the above, remember the other week when i got assaulted on the way to work by another driver, i uploaded the footage to the police website of the other driver cutting across 3 lanes of traffic at a roundabout narrowly missing the front of my car (he also had a newborn baby in the passenger seat in a baby carrier), unfortuantly for me i didnt just let it go, take a deep breath and carry on, i stupidly pulled up along side and got out only to be confronted by a bloody big boxer looking guy who punched me and started pushing me backwards, i hastily got back in the car and called the police to report id been assaulted, went to a+e etc to be checked over where he punched me as i was begining to ache 

the result of it all the other driver can be heard aggressively shouting at me on the footage but as the assualt can't be seen i was advised to drop it as there is no evidence so he has got away with assault BUT as i crossed a white line at the next set of red lights where i got out of the car i've been told to expect a summons for dangerous driving for ignoring a red light 

in hindsight i should have just stopped behind him to get his reg no and stayed in the car but hindsight is a wonderful thing!

....Which is an instructive piece, all round. The police won’t take any interest at all if the evidence isn’t supported by at least one witness; and I mean, a witness not a dashcam, coupled to a positive ID of the other party. They don’t attend clear and obvious offences like breaking and entering, as often as not, just issue a Report Number for the insurance. However if you insist on bringing yourself to their attention, and leave them a possible soft target like crossing a red light, expect trouble. 

I suppose I’ve spent too long in places where people drive with total disregard for life and limb, let alone traffic regulations; and where the police are habitually bought off... I can’t worry about it any more. 

• RMweb Gold

Live and learn! 

Funny thing was at the time the police called me to tell me what would happen I was in Halfords buying a new dashcam with front and back view and on the way home the car in front of me at some lights cut up another and both drivers got out and started having a fight in the middle of the road!

the worlds gone mad and I put my blinkers on, never saw a thing!

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

We are accustomed to reading about examples of poor driving here.  Let me flip that coin for a moment whilst remaining fully within the remit of "Driving Standards"

It is 2.30am this morning.  I am aboard one of London's frequent all-night buses heading towards the West End on a double-lane dual carriageway at Wanstead. The traffic lights ahead are red and traffic is queuing in the right-hand lane as we approach in the left.  There is one car ahead of us which stops some  way short of the line of cars to its right bringing us to a stop.

As we stop and I wonder why a police vehicle - with lights flashing but no sirens - overtook the bus and stationary car switching abruptly from right lane to left in the gap left by the car and then proceeded unhindered through the junction and on its way.

Full marks to the car driver for observation and response.  You'd not see such a thing very often.  And at that time of night more typically we might expect poor driving skills after a night on the turps rather than an example of the best I have seen in a while.

• Like 7
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Jim sorry to hear of you being assaulted.  I agree with you about hindsight and the fact that you could have just took a deep breath and carried on.  It is a sad reflection on society that this sort of thing happens but it does and regularly as you confirm from your journey back from Halfords.

Road rage is something we should avoid at all costs and no matter how big or tough we think we are getting out of the car these days is highly dangerous.  Yes he was a big boxer but then he could have been a small weedy little youth with a knife!  It does happen and people have been killed for just getting out of the car to point out to someone the error of their ways.

As big an ugly as I am I wouldn't even consider getting out of the car now.  Just not worth it as you do not know what the result will be.  Not a criticism of you in any way Jim rather a bit of advice for others who find themselves in the same position.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

I think the best thing to do is avoid eye contact. If you are in the wrong raise your hand and apologise and leave it at that. If the other person is in the wrong only sound your horn if absolutely necessary to avoid a collision. Then don't shout or gesture the other driver or look into their mirror and make eye contact. If they gesture an apology it's nice, but either way, leave it at that. If they follow and you know the area take a couple of turns where you can't become trapped in a dead end. If they are still behind call the Police (hands free) and keep moving. If you are in unfamiliar territory keep moving, keep to main roads and use the satnav to read back road names to the Police so they can find you if you cannot see the signs. 

Edited by Baby Deltic
Additional comment
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
15 hours ago, rockershovel said:

....Which is an instructive piece, all round. The police won’t take any interest at all if the evidence isn’t supported by at least one witness; and I mean, a witness not a dashcam, coupled to a positive ID of the other party. They don’t attend clear and obvious offences like breaking and entering, as often as not, just issue a Report Number for the insurance. However if you insist on bringing yourself to their attention, and leave them a possible soft target like crossing a red light, expect trouble. 

But surely that's all they have on the dangerous driving charge - evidence from a dashcam.

• Agree 2

45 minutes ago, Coryton said:

But surely that's all they have on the dangerous driving charge - evidence from a dashcam.

Not so. They have a positive ID of the perpetrator and the likelihood of getting that perpetrator to sign a summary penalty notice or admit it in court. 

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
22 hours ago, Coryton said:

I suspect you could trawl back through newspaper for the last hundred years or more and find similar comments (which isn't of course to say they aren't true).

Yes, no doubt. It's been a human drive probably forever, it's why we figured out sitting on top of a horse to get from place to place faster. But like a lot of things I feel there reaches a point where continual pursuit of it starts doing more harm than good - take an unrelated example, food. We've got the drive to eat more, and of things that are hard to get in the environment we evolved in, like fat and salt. Finding ways to make the supply of them more reliable starts by reducing malnutrition, so great, but eventually leads to lots of unhealthy, overweight people.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, rockershovel said:

Not so. They have a positive ID of the perpetrator and the likelihood of getting that perpetrator to sign a summary penalty notice or admit it in court. 

thats pretty much the long and short of it, i got a call from the police asking for the reg of my car (actually my wifes), asked who was driving (me) and told id be recieving a NIP (not had it yet after 5 weeks) as would the other driver too

the 2nd policeman i spoke to was far more pleasant than the first and said it may get dropped as its not in the public interest and also if it did go to court as i submitted the footage myself (knowing it wouldnt show me in a good light) i may just get a warning as i submitted it regards the assault, thing is i could have not sent the footage in to save face but whats to say this guy doesnt do it regualrly but uses intimidation and his size to get away with it by bullying other drivers, if one person is willing to stand up to such a nasty bastard to show him he cant get away with it (despite shooting myself in the foot) he may think twice about his driving (probably not in reality, lets be honest!)

its just a waiting game really, ive got my union solicitor on the end of the hotline just in case! 

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Baby Deltic said:

I think the best thing to do is avoid eye contact. If you are in the wrong raise your hand and apologise and leave it at that. If the other person is in the wrong only sound your horn if absolutely necessary to avoid a collision. Then don't shout or gesture the other driver or look into their mirror and make eye contact. If they gesture an apology it's nice, but either way, leave it at that. If they follow and you know the area take a couple of turns where you can't become trapped in a dead end. If they are still behind call the Police (hands free) and keep moving. If you are in unfamiliar territory keep moving, keep to main roads and use the satnav to read back road names to the Police so they can find you if you cannot see the signs. 

If you apologise, then you're on the path to admitting liability.

All the law requires you to do (assuming just dented panels) is to ascertain everyone's health and exchange details. Anyone can call the police, if not happy about any aspect - dodgy car, drunk driver, suspect fake anything, etc.

I wouldn't admit anything, that would be up to my insurance company to decide. Fortunately its been a long time, since last involved & even longer since my fault (says he hanging on to the wooden computer desk!).

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

I was following a car last night that appeared to have no working rear lights, no working dipped beam (full beam then off when something else was coming - in the dark) and the indicators turning on and off apparently at random. Whether that was the driver or the car I've no idea but either way the driver shouldn't have been driving that car.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Hobby said:

Probably banned as well... No insurance... No MOT... Drunk... ;)

Well the speed wasn't obviously fast or slow (if you make the very big waiver of ignoring the effect of properly functioning lights in that) and there wasn't any sign of wobbling.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
7 minutes ago, hayfield said:

How did they manage to pass their test!!!!

Because motorway driving isn't part of the test...……...

And before this thread has a "it should be" reply, think about the practicalities of motorway testing if you live in the furthest reaches of the UK, where your nearest motorway may be many hours away.

• Agree 4

I was quoting about their driving ability, rather than them driving on a motorway, plus they have taken a highway code test with instructions about lane discipline and I guessed answered questions about it. Pity we don't use Germany's rules about new drivers breaking the highway code/law

• Agree 1

46 minutes ago, newbryford said:

According to the link he'd had extra tuition on motorway driving... So no excuses then! ;)

Never seen so many cars at once on the M6 Toll at night! Three of them!! :)

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, newbryford said:

And before this thread has a "it should be" reply, think about the practicalities of motorway testing if you live in the furthest reaches of the UK, where your nearest motorway may be many hours away.

Sometimes you can find a good enough substitute to learn the principles of motorway driving; I learned in Plymouth and on a few of my later lessons ventured down the A38, but there are still quite a few places where even that sort of option isn't available.

• Agree 2